Venice in Adelaide

Annette

Last night, we went to a party at Red Ochre on the river Torrens. Firstly, this is an excellent restaurant with amazing views across the river towards the city. Those classic "Adelaide at night reflected in the Torrens" views that you see on all the postcards. :P

But, what I actually wanted to tell you all was that the party had a Venetian Carnevale theme and the hosts had arranged for two gondolas to ferry the guests to and fro around the small lake there. Absolutely fantastic!

I spoke to the gondolier and he told us that they operate on the river every day and that the gondolas are authentic Venetian ones made over there and shipped across to Adelaide from Italy 14 years ago. They are the only two genuine Venetian gondolas in Australia. You have to book trips. Here is their website:

http://www.adelaidegondola.com.au/introduction.html

I would recommend going for around sunset. It was just breathtaking!

This is what I love about Adelaide so much. Two years in, and it's still coming up with surprises like this on a regular basis. :blink: It's such a cool place!

Edited by Annette

Now there you go, I was not even aware of this. Thanks Annette, I will definately try it, sounds great.

You are such a "slop" Annette!

You'd better not tell Ginnie about this gondola business or I won't get her out of the bl...y thing.

We had old friends from Perth staying with us a week or so ago. Their nephew from Sydney had a Chinese junk (originally from Hong Kong) on the Torrens that we went and had a sticky beak at.

It was all to do with the Adelaide Festival, which is an Arts festival held in March every couple of years in Adelaide attracting artists from Australia and around the world for a whole week.

Edited by Bob