South African History

DesertDaisy

I'm a bit of a history buff - by no means an expert, but definitely a very interested person. I know that only a tiny bit of SA history is likely to be mentioned in the Australian school syllabus. And although I want my kids to integrate fully as Australians (if and when we ever GET there...), I do want them to still know about their heritage - the good, the bad and the ugly.

I was thinking that if we ever get there, that I would like to do an informal "South African history" lesson one or two afternoons a month. If I did, would you encourage your kids to attend? I would include the Mfecane (the tribal wars pre-Western arrival at the Cape); the arrival of the Brits & Dutch in the Cape, the Great Trek, the Boer Wars, the rise of Apartheid and its end. Plus maybe some other tidbits like Chris Barnard & the first heart transplant and other South African inventions/famous folks etc.

What do you think?

Hi DD,

I'm not sure if the kids would be interested, but I would be! We only tend to put a premium on these kind of things, once we are older, and have more understanding of the world.And once we lose it. I would like my kids to know where they come from, but at this moment in time, they are way more interested in the freedom that Australia allows them, than in anything I try and tell them about SA. They look at me with those, "Ag nie al weer nie" expressions on their faces! :ilikeit:

How is your hubby's job seeking going?

Greetings,

Dreamy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Desert Daisy

If you want to do this, I suggest that you do a bit of catching up as SA history seems to have changed over the last couple of years. My eldest daughter is in grade 10 or STD 8 for the oldies and is still to be taught about Jan Van Riebeck and the rest of our founding fathers. The new school history books that I have seen, are certainly different to when I was in school. Looking at the new books, it is a mystery how anyone but the African got here. It seems that they have even forgotten about South Africa's real first people, not the Africans but the bushmen.

Cheers