From a 13 yr old's perspective (female)

Lee

We intend migrating to Perth with my 13 year old daughter, Jessica. At this stage I am not sure how schools work in Oz, but we only intend migrating towards the end of next year which will be the end of her first year in high school here in SA (Grade 8). She has concerns regarding fitting in, making new friends, life in Oz, etc and would like to correspond with others within the same age group who would be willing to share their experiences in Oz (specifically Perth?).

I am sure many of you have faced the same issues/concerns with your kids - I/we would appreciate knowing how it worked out for you/them!

Many thanks

Lee and Jess

Hi Lee and Jess,

Welcome! You'll see that we have a Youth section here on the forum where the youngsters chat about their experience - in fact, they just chat - period! If my memory serves, there is another forl around the same age in perth that is in regular contact with my son (also 13). Pop into the Youth section and just post a note introducing yourself Jessica - I'm sure you'll get some responses. Just remember that there is a big time difference, so you'll probably have to wait a day or so before you hear from anyone.

Good luck - you'll be fine and will find new friends easily, I'm sure.

Lee - as a mom, I can relate to your concerns. I have 2 kids, (13 and 11) and fretted about hoow much I was disrupting their lives by taking them away from all that was familiar etc. However, my two settled in well -especially the 13 year old. My younger son still has moments where he misses some of his friends, but these are happening less and less now, as he makes more friends here. Giving your child a shot at a safe, secure future is one of the greatest gifts that you can give her.

I hope to see you around more on the forum

love

Ajay