Dealing with the fears for the ones that stay behind

Michelle

My parents elderly neighbours were attacked by intruders a few nights ago. They are in their seventies and have no children or anybody to help them. The old man was beaten unconscious with a hammer and they tried to strangle his wife. They hit her so hard in the face she has a hole in her cheekbone. They have good security and armed response. My mom is currently in australia for a visit but my dad will be there on his own until she returns. (their security is much less advanced and they handed in their fire arm to the police) I am going insane with worry.

This event and reading news 24 and the new crime website just fires up my imagination and I am constantly worrying. I know it would not make any difference if I was in South Africa with them but I feel almost guilty about not sharing the situation with them any longer.

How do all of you cope with the worrying about family and friends?

I am in the same position as yourself Michelle. My parents are in the eighties and live in an apartment in Pretoria.

My parents are always at pains to tell me how safe they are, and how everyone in the complex looks out for the other, and how good their security is.

I visit them every year and I know their setup. and I feel they are as safe as a person could possibly be in SA.

Do I have guilt? Yes- everyday.But my parents always tell me how grateful they are that we and their only grandchildren are in a safer environment.