what if i fall pregnant before we leave

Claire

Hi

please could someone help me with this - what happens if i fall pregnant before we leave SA or as we land in Australia

will we have to pay for all the doctor visits and the birth or can we get private medical that will cover this? if so what is the cost p/month? if not what would the cost of having a baby with no cover be?

we are going over on PR (175 Skilled visa)

thanks - i dont understand how the medical aid and private medical works

:blink::blush:

As far as I know (or this is what I have been advised) you have to let your CO know your 'status' and this could put a hold on your PR being Approved until the baby is born, the good news is that you have done your medicals already.

We are in the same boat so to speak and have decided to wait for the Approval, so I can relate to how you feel! Can anyone advise what one needs to do re birth of a new baby after you have PR status?

I think if your baby is born in SA after visa is granted and is not invluded in the application, then there is a new visa application for the baby which is easy to get but costs money.

If you advise them of change of circumstance, then the visa is put on hold and you wait for the birth of the baby. Then you need to get the baby's unabridged birth certificate and probanly by then need to go for medicals again.

The other option is that the visa comes through quickly and you fly over and have the baby in Australia.

Hi there

My understanding from your post is that you plan to fall pregnant after your visa is approved? If this is the case, and you basically 'land' in australia pregnant, you will be covered by medicare from the day you arrive. So if you went public, you would pay nothing for maternity care - perhaps you'd have to pay for your 13 week scan if you're under 35 (and low risk).

If you want to go private, some of the medical funds here (I know MBF does this, I'm not sure about any of the others) will cover you from the day you arrive, with no waiting period, if you bring a letter from your south african medical aid stating that you had full cover up until the time you left SA. As long as you take out the cover here within a few weeks, you wouldn't have a problem. However, going private you'd still have to pay a management fee to your obstetrician, plus a proportion of each visit/scan - sounds like on average you'd be 'out of pocket' between $1,500 and $3,000.

Good luck!

Claire,

Stop sweating the small stuff!

When you land with a PR visa in your passport, you're covered by Australia's Medicare system as soon as your tootsies touch the ground.

Public hospital care is good.

Public hospital care is free.

My three kids were all born courtesy of Medicare.

Your baby will be a proud Aussie, able to sing "Waltzing Matilda" as soon as it sees the daylight Down Under, cos mum and / or dad are permanent residents of Australia.

Next time you fly back to South Africa, baby will have his very own Australian passport.

Enjoy!

Hi All,

What about all the medicals when still on this side (SA side)? What exactly is needed for baby?

Anyone on this...as I find it difficult to find.

Later then.

What about all the medicals when still on this side (SA side)? What exactly is needed for baby?

Hi there

Our 3 week old was weighed and measured and poked and prodded and played with, and a thorough medical history(!!!) taken, but no actual testing done.

We had to wait for her passport to arrive before the medical could be done.

Good luck!

Clare

With PR if you have your baby in Sa you will have to apply for a visa for the baby and go through the whole waiting game medicals etc however if you have the baby in Oz it will cost you nothing and you will recieve a baby bonus which is I think $3000 at todays exchange rate of R7.20 to the dollar The Australian Government will pay you R 21 600.00 rand to have the baby here and then thebaby will evenget an Aussie birth certificate.

Baby bonus was $4133 when my son was born last year. I think it is going up tp $5000 from July this year. So my second child will be worth a bit more :P

...grandma & grandpa's faces are worth far more than R35k...