Anyone ever want to come back?

Riaan&Natelie

Question

Hi

My wife and I are planning to move to Australia (I am an SA attorney and will have to go over on a student visa to obtain the necessary bridging qualifications and apply for PR from there -effectively using our lifesavings to start over in Oz). As I read some of the posts on this forum, one question keeps on milling about in my head: are there many South Africans in Australia that want to come back, but can't (either because their financial and personal situation does not allow this or it would be too much of a hassle to move back and start from scratch again)? Could personal pride also be a factor in refusing to come back?

Don't get me wrong - things are becoming progressively worse in SA and we are looking forward to starting a new life in Oz (especially with the view of giving our 2 kids a brighter future). It's just that I am not sure whether I will be able to start from scracth again if things do not work out for us in Oz. Has there been a poll or are there any statistics on how many South Africans have come back to SA?

This must have been discussed previously, so any help referring me to previous posts would also be appreciated.

Any info would really be appreciated and will go along way in helping us make that final "We're Going!" decision (and I am aware that ultimately it is a decision that we will have to make for ourselves and live with the consequences).

Thank you

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Ajay

• dorry

• elizes

• Riaan&Natelie

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hi Riaan & Natalie,

First of all - welcome to the forum! I'm not around here as much as I used to be, but we have such an active user netowrk now that us Hosts are pretty much surplus to requirements now :rolleyes:

I think there was a Poll run on this a while back - I'll try find it and PM you with the info. Meantime, though, from my point of view, there is absolutely no chance that I will ever return to South Africa - regardless of what happens there. This country has given my family and I back our freedom and our hope - leaving would feel like a betrayal. I've returned to SA once on a business trip and will do so again, I guess. However, even when I was there, I wanted to be here. This is my home now.

I know that the obstacles and doubts that you face are huge and may seem overwhelming but just take things one day at a time and make the decision that is right for you and for your family - this has nothing to do with anyone else and listening to too many opinions sometimes clouds things to the point where we are blind. Stay focussed and make your own choice.

Good luck and feel free to hang around and ask as many questions as you like!

Cheers

Ajay

Some previous posts - hope this helps......

Not so settled, Anyone consider moving back?

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showt...8&hl=return

RETURNING 2 South Africa, The other side of the journey

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showt...mp;hl=returning

Return to Africa?????, Why going back????

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showt...mp;hl=returning

Hallo en welkom van my kant af ook.

Nou as antwoord op jou vraag, daar is net nie 'n manier dat ons ooit sal terug gaan Suid Afrika toe nie. Nie eers vir 'n kuier nie!! Stel regtig nie belang nie. Dalk is dit 'n emotionele ding dalk net omdat ons te bang g@t is, maar no way!!

My liewe sussie en haar familie is nog daar maar is nou ook besig met hulle aansoek vir PR, dan is dit net my boetie maar hy stel nie belang nie so hy moet maar sy eie heil uitwerk.

Australie is goed vir ons!! Ons sal nooit ooit van Suid Afrika vergeet nie, maar so uit Mauritz se mond, ons bou hier in Australie voort!!!''

Groete

N

Ai dis 'n ding wat my ook pla, se nou net ons dinge werk nie uit soos beplan nie. WAT DAN? Maar dan weer aan die anderkant wat hou die toekoms in SA vir ons in.

Dit bly maar 'n groot besluit, maar ek glo en vertrou dat ons die regte ding gedoen het. DIS NET DIE VERLANGE WAT MY PLA.

Thank you for the very informative replies and the PM that we have received. I will do a bit more research on the links provided.

In the meantime we have realised (with shock) that the first available date for IELTS exams is in August 08. If I had known this we would have done this step first - you live you learn!!

You can always write IELTS in one of the other cities in SA, or one of the neighbours like Botswana...watch Mozambique though :thumbdown: , check my post in Journals about that one...unfortunately in afrikaans.

A

Ja, soos Adele se, julle kan in Botswana skryf. Ons het deurgery en daar geskryf. Dit was die moeite werd. Hubby het goed gedoen en die hotel en fasiliteite was great. Ek het nie geskryf nie en moet nou vir PR in Oz skryf.

Probeer daar as julle kan.

Groete

Elize

Baie welkom op die forum.

Ja dit is n moeilike besluit as dit kom by familie agter laat,maar n mens moet maar dink aan wat die beste is vir jul gesin en jul kiddies :)

Ja n mens verlang baie terug na familie maar darm kan n mens n bietjie skype bel en chat + mekaar sien.Help baie :rolleyes:

Sterkte met jul beplanning en besluite.

Ursula.

Hi

My wife and I are planning to move to Australia (I am an SA attorney and will have to go over on a student visa to obtain the necessary bridging qualifications and apply for PR from there -effectively using our lifesavings to start over in Oz). As I read some of the posts on this forum, one question keeps on milling about in my head: are there many South Africans in Australia that want to come back, but can't (either because their financial and personal situation does not allow this or it would be too much of a hassle to move back and start from scratch again)? Could personal pride also be a factor in refusing to come back?

Don't get me wrong - things are becoming progressively worse in SA and we are looking forward to starting a new life in Oz (especially with the view of giving our 2 kids a brighter future). It's just that I am not sure whether I will be able to start from scracth again if things do not work out for us in Oz. Has there been a poll or are there any statistics on how many South Africans have come back to SA?

This must have been discussed previously, so any help referring me to previous posts would also be appreciated.

Any info would really be appreciated and will go along way in helping us make that final "We're Going!" decision (and I am aware that ultimately it is a decision that we will have to make for ourselves and live with the consequences).

Thank you

hi daar :rolleyes:

ons is nou hier vir ses maande in die begin maar baie verlang :unsure: voel nou meer tuis.geniet die lewe weeren ons is nie spuit oor ons besluit nie.ek glo nie ek sal ooit weer daar wil bly nie. :)

groete pollie

A very warm welcome to you, (or should I say a wet one as it looks like it is going to rain again in Sydney).

I hope you find all you are looking for.

Australia is a wonderful place and were fortunate that we both had a very positive attitude about moving over but were also realistic. We knew it would be tough and expensive but we also knew that we would learn alot about ourselves and each other and that far worse things could happen to us if we stayed in SA.

We miss our family of course but really we don't plan on going back to SA not even on holiday.

I am living in the UK at the moment and there have been times i have given thought to moving back to africa and the land i love so much. I have though about my friends and family alot. I have also thought about my childrens future and what would be available to them when they are in the prime of their lives assuming there are well.

Then decided on moving to Australia as i know they will get decent education and there is less chance of really nasty things happening to them. and i have also thought along political lines...

Frightening!

South African health minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang tells those with HIV to eat garlic and beetroot.

The former deputy president, Jacob Zuma told the Johannesburg High Court that he took a shower - after having sex with the HIV-positive complainant without a condom - as he believed this minimised his risk of contracting the disease.

"Go to sleep earlier so that you can grow and be cleverer" - Minister of Minerals and Energy Buyelwa Sonjica unveiling a 10-point plan to encourage South Africans to change their electricity usage habits.

"It is one of the things that would make it (the tournament) a success because we hear of many rapes, because people don't have access to them (women)" - ANC MP George Lekgetho on the benefits of legalizing prostitution for the 2010 world cup.

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen. To be cured from aids, eat garlic and beetroot. If you don't want aids, take a shower, and all we have to do to stop the electricity crisis is to go to bed early so we can be cleverer and rapes only occur because people don't have access to prostitutes.

Sleep tight South Africa. Your government has everything under control.

Its Aussie for me...

Ek dink dit is almal se grootste vrees: "Sê nou maar ek maak dit nie, of dit werk nie uit nie". Hier is mense wat met 5 tassies hier opgedaag het en vandag wonderlike lewens in Aus het! Ons het soos baie mense baie pryse gegee (t.o.v. aardse besittings, eiendom, aftreegeld ens) en mens wonder of jy ooit weer die "agterstand" gaan inhaal. Dit is alles baie "valid" vrese en dood normaal.

Die ding is, jy moet vir jouself vra: "Wil ek in Aus wees/ uit RSA wees maak nie saak WAT nie, of wil ek die agterdeur oophou ingeval...." As daai agterdeur oop is, gaan jy kort-kort omloer en oorweeg om daai deur weer oop te maak, want jy weet jy het daai opsie. So dit alleen is al klaar 'n groter kans dat jy op die punt gaan kom waar jy oorweeg om terug te gaan. Dit is nou maar net deel van die mens se natuur- as jy weet jy het daai opsie, gaan jy dit oorweeg. Mense het almal "comfort zones" en dit is net natuulik om daar te wil bly. Enige vernadering in mens se lewe forseer jou uit daai "comfort zone" en as jy weet jy kan altyd weer terugkruip, dan sal jy nie soveel "effort" insit om dit te maak werk nie.

I was in the UK, and returned hom after two years because I was terribly homesick. Coming home to this bullshit we call a life in South Africa made me realise its just not my home anymore. No place for the white man in Africa, no place for common sense.

I know exactly how you feel. It is the uncertain feeling that occupies every minute of your day; "What if it does not work out for us?" I am in a similar situation, but Africa is not involved this time. I left that dark hole very long ago, and never want to go back, not even for vacation. It is just simply too dangerous, just the idea of standing at the airport with my son, gives me the chills. I have read thousands of horrible things happening there, and none of my US friends will even consider going there. A couple of years ago, yes, maybe, but now, never. Thanks to the ANC.

Wel, I am a US citizen now, have been living here for 16 years and in the process of moving back to Switzerland, hubby is Swiss. I am also nervous, but I made up my mind, it will work for us. It has to. Once you make up your mind, it actually will happen for you. No one says it is easy, but eventually all things will fall in place.

I have to add, my daughter moved to Australia five years ago, at first just to study, but after her degree she decided that is the place where she wants to live forever. I visited her a year ago, and I can tell you, the people are wonderful, the country is just beautiful, you will find peace there.

That is all I can say for now. Wish you luck in this difficult time.

Hi aan almal in dieselfde bootjie - die wik en weeg en wik en weeg...Meestal oor emosionele / familie sake en dan ook is dit waar God my wil he...

Miskien is dit daarom goed dat binnelandse sake en IELTS so lank vat om te gebeur. Tipies vrou se my verstand pak 'n tassie, sommer 'n vanity case en spring op die eerste vlug...maar my hart neem swaar afskeid van als.

Maar ok "die als" om van afskeid te neem raak al hoe minder...

Hi

Thank you

Hi Riaan and Natalie

My husband and I, and our three boys migrated to Sydney in 2000. We lived there for 4 years and then made the emotional desicion to go back to SA. WE lived in SA for 3 years. Chaos. After only 2 months back "home" our house was robbed. no insurance. We bought a small business and it went bankrupt last year November. I had to leave without my hubby and kids to make money in oz so that they could also return. I am now situated in Brisbane Queensland. My eyes well and truly went open now. South Africa is currently a nightmare and there is no denying that. I am happy for families who return and make it. We were not so lucky, we suffered for three years. I see oz in a different light now, and realise this is home. This is the country that has looked after me and my family. Sure we will always be homesick, but sometimes emotional such be seperated from reality and our futures. They say: never say never, but I would NEVER go back to SA to live, because I dont want to die at the age of 60 because of stress or younger because of violence. I wish all the best to families who return, and may God be with them. I pray for my friends and family every day. I also thank the Lord for the wonderful oppertunity to be able to live in a wonderul coutry like Australia. I hope you will be happy in oz. Best of Luck and God Bless

Analise Prinsloo

Analise, thank you for your post. I found it to be really comforting because I know that there are many people who are contemplating emigration and who will undoubtedly reach the same crossroads you did.

Perhaps you were meant to come back to SA for a reason. Had you not learnt the "hard" way, you might still be miserable in Australia and wondering if you're making the biggest mistake of your life.

Some great posts above - thanks for sharing Analise, quite sobering, a must read for those who might still be wondering.

To me having the attitude that there is no a back door (to go back) is one of the single most NB attributes to have to make it work in your new country. Even if you do in reality have a back door. Think and act as if you don't and don't look back, yes maybe for a nostalgic "flight of fancy" here and there but always return to your focus of making it work no matter what. Saffers are survivors and after an initial period you'll see you'll begin to thrive because of your passion and shear determination to make it work.

Riaan in your situation, you guys might be forced to live off your life savings but rather see as as one of the best investments you can make. What price does one put on a more secure future, with more opportunities and a more sustainable society/economy/and political environment? Maybe reality for you would be that there is no back door, but I see that as a positive rather than a negative.

Good luck!

Chatterbug

I am living in the UK at the moment and there have been times i have given thought to moving back to africa and the land i love so much. I have though about my friends and family alot. I have also thought about my childrens future and what would be available to them when they are in the prime of their lives assuming there are well.

Then decided on moving to Australia as i know they will get decent education and there is less chance of really nasty things happening to them. and i have also thought along political lines...

Frightening!

South African health minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang tells those with HIV to eat garlic and beetroot.

The former deputy president, Jacob Zuma told the Johannesburg High Court that he took a shower - after having sex with the HIV-positive complainant without a condom - as he believed this minimised his risk of contracting the disease.

"Go to sleep earlier so that you can grow and be cleverer" - Minister of Minerals and Energy Buyelwa Sonjica unveiling a 10-point plan to encourage South Africans to change their electricity usage habits.

"It is one of the things that would make it (the tournament) a success because we hear of many rapes, because people don't have access to them (women)" - ANC MP George Lekgetho on the benefits of legalizing prostitution for the 2010 world cup.

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen. To be cured from aids, eat garlic and beetroot. If you don't want aids, take a shower, and all we have to do to stop the electricity crisis is to go to bed early so we can be cleverer and rapes only occur because people don't have access to prostitutes.

Sleep tight South Africa. Your government has everything under control.

Its Aussie for me...

Welllll.....being south african in australia...I dont think anyone could have said it better!!! I will send this to family and friends back home and maybe this will open the minds of those who see things differently.

Really sad to acknowledge all this but so very true!

well written!

MSG

Hi everyone!

I have been following this forum for a while (since middle last year) before registering and always wondered what type of response junior members would receive and must say that my wife and I have been pleasantly suprised. :cry: It is encouraging to know that there are other people out there (i.e. both in Aus and in SA) who have gone through this process (or are currently going through this process) and who will go out of their way to provide advice.

We actually made our final decision this week: WE'RE GOING! Although the replies have helped tremendously, it was opening the Beeld on Thursday that finally made us capitulate - racial tensions (both from a white and black persepctive) at schools and universities have flared and are becoming unbearable - we don't want this for our kids. We have been in contact with a number of other couples who have come to SA from Zimbabwe. All of them have said that what is happening in SA now is what happend in Zim - it's just happening faster. It scares the hell out of us.

I got your advice on the IELTS exam (i.e. do it in Botswana), but I had already registered for August. Hopefully my student visa application will go quick to enable us to go to Australia by January next year. Alternatively we'll have to wait for the second semester May / June 2009. Approximately the time JZ might come to power - hopefully things will still be stable enough by then.

Thanks for all the help. Next step for us is to start considering whether to put our house in the market and rent somewhere else until we leave. We think it's going to be a nightmare to try and coordinate a property sale from overseas.

Riaan and Natelie

Not a chance - we are getting to the stage where we dont even want to go back for holidays to visit family.

We just feel the risks are to high. The last time we were there a year ago - we just prayed the 2weeks would go by without anything happening to us and silently cursed ourselves for taking our kids back and potentially putting them in harms ways.

We now instead fly my folks out - its cheaper for us to pay for 2 of them rather than 4 of us to go over and safer and we enjoy the time we have with them while they are here. This year we are talking about meeting up in Thailand for a family holiday.

Go Back - Not on your life.

Rgds

Matman

Hi everyone!

I have been following this forum for a while (since middle last year) before registering and always wondered what type of response junior members would receive and must say that my wife and I have been pleasantly suprised. :lol: It is encouraging to know that there are other people out there (i.e. both in Aus and in SA) who have gone through this process (or are currently going through this process) and who will go out of their way to provide advice.

We actually made our final decision this week: WE'RE GOING! Although the replies have helped tremendously, it was opening the Beeld on Thursday that finally made us capitulate - racial tensions (both from a white and black persepctive) at schools and universities have flared and are becoming unbearable - we don't want this for our kids. We have been in contact with a number of other couples who have come to SA from Zimbabwe. All of them have said that what is happening in SA now is what happend in Zim - it's just happening faster. It scares the hell out of us.

I got your advice on the IELTS exam (i.e. do it in Botswana), but I had already registered for August. Hopefully my student visa application will go quick to enable us to go to Australia by January next year. Alternatively we'll have to wait for the second semester May / June 2009. Approximately the time JZ might come to power - hopefully things will still be stable enough by then.

Thanks for all the help. Next step for us is to start considering whether to put our house in the market and rent somewhere else until we leave. We think it's going to be a nightmare to try and coordinate a property sale from overseas.

Riaan and Natelie

;):cry::cry: Happy for you!!

From our own experience, and I can tell you it is so much easier. We actually sold our home more than a year before our departure time, it is less complicated to move out of an apartment than a house. Living in an apartment is not so bad at all, and I do not miss the yardwork either. Now we can just pack and leave.

Got rid of a lot of junk (garage sale) and no big worries the last moment with selling the house. On the other hand a house can sell within a month but what if it sits on the market for a long time, I am not sure about SA, but here in the US it is quiet a disaster at the moment, lukily we got that out of the way just in time. Selling while you are overseas???? I do not think that is a good idea, especially with the current situation in SA.

Wish you luck.

While people do return to South Africa, you will find the overwhelming majority stays. Its not always easy, but many many people have made a success of it.

Good Luck

We live in a small town (40000 people), and there are plenty of ex-South Africans here. We organist an event once or twice a year with boerwors and koeksusters, not to talk about the "good old times" but just as a meeting of people who have something in common, and a way of helping new migrants network. We have only heard of one family that has gone back, that's one out of maybe a hundred, and the are they were always talking, they never actually arrived, mentally that is. Most ex-South Africans take up Citizenship as soon as they are eligible.

There are those that come to Australia and will go out of their way buying Handy Andy at twice the cost of a local cleaning material. They will try and "home school their children" because they don't like the Australian education system. Not that they have bothered to find out anything about it. They are horrified when they find their kids are talking English amongst themselves and Afrikaans only to their parents, not realizing the kids have taken that vital integration step into their new environment.

We say to people: There are problems you have in South Africa you will leave behind. There are problems you will take with you, and there will be new problems you pick up here. If the sum-total of the problems at the end is less that what you started off with, then you have done the right thing. How you assess these problems is a matter of your own honesty to yourself. But when you come here physically, you have to arrive mentally as well, don't stand with one leg here and one leg "back home". Home is here now.

Integration is not an overnight thing. You will come here with you South African culture, and slowly convert, as you acquire the new one. It can take a up to a generation, but you have to start as soon as you come here. You do that and Australia will look after you.

Nooit gesien nie! Hier bly ek tot die dood intree!

Gogga