Modification of SA television set

arabella164

Older SA televisions can receive video, but the audio is not that clear.

Does anyone know if a modification is possible to fix this?

If so, can you recommend anyone in the Gold Coast/Brisbane areas?

You have to receive your TV signal through a VCR with your TV set to AV (tune the channels on your VCR, not the TV).

Buy a set top box and watch TV through that. You also get a couple extra channels.

Older SA televisions can receive video, but the audio is not that clear.

Does anyone know if a modification is possible to fix this?

If so, can you recommend anyone in the Gold Coast/Brisbane areas?

Have you confirmed that your TV does not have a menu setting you can change (look for a list of country names, or that mentions PAL B/G (that is what the system used in Australia is called) or something like sound/subcarrier 5.5MHz.

Most newer TV's have a setting like that. On my Sharp TV the setting is called "sound system" and on my LG VCR it is called "RF Audio". I've heard that some TVs or VCRs have a physical switch but that it can be hidden somewhere inside but I've never seen one like that myself. Really old TVs were not "multistandard" and would have to be altered by a technician but then it is probably best to follow the advice you have been given by Riekie and Lara.

Have you confirmed that your TV does not have a menu setting you can change (look for a list of country names, or that mentions PAL B/G (that is what the system used in Australia is called) or something like sound/subcarrier 5.5MHz.

Most newer TV's have a setting like that. On my Sharp TV the setting is called "sound system" and on my LG VCR it is called "RF Audio". I've heard that some TVs or VCRs have a physical switch but that it can be hidden somewhere inside but I've never seen one like that myself. Really old TVs were not "multistandard" and would have to be altered by a technician but then it is probably best to follow the advice you have been given by Riekie and Lara.

Thanks for the answers. My TV is multisystem, but an older model, so I cannot change the sound settings. The VCR is the same. Fortunately, the tv has composite inputs, so a set top box has been my answer.

Regarding set top boxes, I bought a Homecast HT8000PVR from Harvey Norrman for $600. This is one of the cheaper High Definition set top boxes with two built in tuners. So I now have all the extra HD channels (which I watch on my SD TV), and I have a PVR to record 2 channels (on the 320GB hard drive), while I watch the third.

Althoug it is a little expensive, I highly recommend this unit.

Nice! Does the Homecast HT8000PVR replace the IQ thing from Foxtel? Or would it be worth waiting for their HD version of the IQ?