Some great traditional South African recipes!!

JimmyC

Can you guys use your South African recipes in australia and it comes out just as it would have in SA? I have a big problem here in Canada. Their flour is an all-purpose flour, so not as fine as Snowflake or what that flour was called (can't even remember anymore) and the sugar is not cane sugar. It is a finer sugar and not so sweet. The other day I made a Roly-Poly and it didn't even taste the same, and it has to do with the flour and the sugar. It frustrates me so much that I do not bake often anymore.

Regards,

Retha

Hi Retha,

I know how you feel. I had a lemon cake recipe that I literally made every week in SA and it turned out perfectly every time, I just can't get the same result here. I found the flour was different, not as white and was told by the main flour producers here that their flour was healthier than SA as it was less refined! which was all fine but what about my cake! I was also now using a fan oven which is also different as I learned that with some cakes you must not preheat the oven, our sugar is beet sugar but I did not even think about that! I have found flour at Aldi and Lidl (don't know if you have them there?) and they have a flour that is more like our snowflake. I have tried everything and still cant get it right. Even been told it might be the altitude as we are now at sea level in Ireland as opposed to JHB which is high above sea level???

Jen

Hi Jen

If you are using a fan forced oven as opposed to just a normal oven in SA, then lower your recipe's temperature by at least 10 degrees.

I thought I was crazy. Yes I have definitely experienced the same thing about the flower, just doens't taste the same.

Dedrei hartjie, ek kan nou nie anders nie, ek moet bietjie jou been trek. :lol::whome:

Ja, blommetjies proe maar net nie dieselfde nie............maar dis oor die koekmeel dat ons so rattle en rave. :ilikeit:

Sorry, maar jy het so in die middel van die gat getrap

KD.

Jissie jong, ek lees nou jou post en ek kan nie verstaan wat jy bedoel nie. :ilikeit: Ek lees to weer my post en wragtie, ok so ek het blonde oomblik gehad. Bedoel die "flour" en nie "flower" nie. :lol:

Dedrei, Dit pla my al heel aand dat ek so lelik was. Dis nie mooi om met ander die spot te dryf nie, ek het rerig nie sleg bedoel nie, hoor?

Kannidood.

Ek het ook 'n prentjie van blommetjies gehad, te oulik. Toemaar ons verstaan

My vriendin in SA se seun het vir my 'n nota geskryf met die mooiste handgetekened blommies, net om dankie te se vir al die tyd wat hy by ons huis gekuier het, vir 4/5 dae op 'n slag, vandag is hy 27, met die mooiste geaardheid (wens hy kon my skoonseun gewees het) Hulle was sukke gooie maats, tot saam ballroom en latin gedans.

Sorry I going of the topic again. R :blush-anim-cl:

• 1 month later...

liewe aarde!!

Weet julle hoe lekker klink dit!! :ilikeit:

Ek het nog 'n site gekry. Jissie, is ek nou lus vir 'n Peppermint Crisp tert! My arme diet gaan nooit langer hou as 'n dag nie! :blush:

http://www.rainbowcooking.co.nz/a/courses

Thanks a ton for the website. My 8 year old son must do a traditional food for show and tell next week. He insists on doing koeksisters - I have tried to convince him to go for something easier, melktert, maybe!! No, no , no he wants the Australian kids to taste yummy koeksisters! I have never made a koeksister in my life - well, now I have no excuse I am armed with recipe and will give it a test run this weekend.

Cheers Alrae

Thanks a ton for the website. My 8 year old son must do a traditional food for show and tell next week. He insists on doing koeksisters - I have tried to convince him to go for something easier, melktert, maybe!! No, no , no he wants the Australian kids to taste yummy koeksisters! I have never made a koeksister in my life - well, now I have no excuse I am armed with recipe and will give it a test run this weekend.

Cheers Alrae

DO your bit and save an african -send me some PLEASE!!!!

DO your bit and save an african -send me some PLEASE!!!!

:blush: Ja ek stem saam!

Luckily my mom came to visit me over the weekend. I don't like hot cross buns (I know, it's a sin according to hubby, but he can't wipe off his smug smile when we buy them at Woolworths(the SA one) and he knows they're all his), so she brought me some koeksusters. Hmmmm yummy. Sadly they've now all migrated to my hips.