Rundle Mall?

Just B

I am also interested know what Rundle Mall is like? Besides the big Balls...

:blush: .. otherwise known as the "mall's balls" :)

There are a lot of shops. If you've ever been to the UK, it's a bit like one of those pedestrianised high streets that you get in every town over there. To be honest, it's OK, but if you're after something more interesting, exclusive or out of the ordinary, you'll be better off in one of the many little shopping / cafe precincts all over Adelaide. Rundle Mall is definitely mainstream. You get all the big chains there. David Jones has their big store there, Myer has a HUGE multilevel branch there, Harris Scarfe has its biggest shop in Rundle Mall etc. There are a few arcades off Rundle Mall which have a few more unique boutiques etc. It's the place where a lot of teenagers also meet up on Saturdays amd Sundays and "hang out". All in all, it's not a bad place, but I wouldn't rush there until I have exhausted many other avenues. But maybe that's just me.

Having said that, this time of year it is buzzing, because all the festivals are on. Next weekend is the International Busker's festival in Rundle Mall. Always worth a visit. During the month of the Fringe festival you will also often find a few carnival freakshow types entertaining the crowds in Rundle Mall. Love it!

The 500 shops are a bit misleading because it's not like they're all lined up one after the other. There are a few big buildings which line Rundle Mall and they all contain many shops. It's like a few mini-malls and arcades all in one area. I prefer to go to Marion Westfield if I need a lot of shops in one spot. There are 400 under one roof :D

Here are the 360 georamas of Rundle Mall:

http://www.georama.com.au/adelaide/12.13HaighsRundle.html

http://www.georama.com.au/adelaide/11_57Ru...ilverballs.html

http://www.georama.com.au/adelaide/11_49Ru...awlerPlace.html

http://www.georama.com.au/adelaide/Rundle8.30.html

http://www.georama.com.au/adelaide/12_03RundlePulteney.html

The above are arranged in order from West to East.

BTW: in the last shot, you will see a green canvas roofed stall in the distance. It is called "Fresh on Rundle" and makes the BEST smoothies in the whole world (and I consider myself a bit of a smoothie connoisseur...)

Edited by Annette

Yes indeed, nothing wrong with Rundle mall, nice place to shop and a nice open air atmosphere. Dont forget the brass pigs close to the Malls Balls, for me they are nicer than the balls.Purely due to geographics, for us we prefer to go to Tea Tree Plaza since it is "up the road" from where we live.

I'm obviously not much of a shopper, we have been in Adelaide for over 5 years and I think I have been to Rundle Mall ...... mmm, TWICE ! Like, Marius, Tea Tree Plaza is much more convenient, free shaded parking, everything under one roof - and 5 min away!

Andrea

Wow, those are big balls, of steel, nogal!

Annette, thanks for the very informitive and entertaining post. My wife and I are freaks we drive all over the country side visiting varuous shops / shopping centres. We plan to find a rental in Tea Tree Gully, but will definately be checking out Rundle mall amoung others.

Thanks a mill

K&B

Hi Annette, Thanx so much for this, such a treat.

Cannot even begin to think how you put something like this together, can even look up to the sky. Will learn your trick if I have the privilege to meet you in Aus.

Just about every major suburban area has a shopping centre nowadays with its own variety of stores, cafes and newsagents, supermarkets and clothing stores on hand.

There are really large shopping centres in the Adelaide metropolitan area, the main ones (as mentioned) are:

Marion Shopping Centre, for those living in the southern suburbs of Adelaide

Tea Tree Plaza Shopping Centre, if you live in the north eastern suburbs

Arndale Shopping Centre, if you live north west of Adelaide

Colonnades Shopping Centre, if you live in the far southern suburbs

Elizabeth Shopping Centre, living in the Elizabeth area to the north of Adelaide

Salisbury Shopping Centre, living in the Salisbury area to the north of Adelaide.

Whichever side of Adelaide you may happen to live or stay in, you can always reach a main shopping centre having hundreds of shops.