Trash and water restrictions

Guest Sunshine Sister

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi everyone,

Could you please explain the current water restriction regulations in Sydney ? Our estate agent has told us that ppl with swimming pools and big gardens are really struggling to keep afloat (hehehehehehe :ilikeit: ) and then we were chatting to someone at breakfast downstairs and they told us Australia has been in a drought for 8 years or so.. Also we were advised to buy a washing machine with econo option, where you can save water, to stay within the restrictions and help to save water..(??) Huh ? :thumbdown: Info please !!

Next I was wondering how the whole trash business in Sydney goes. Do you seperate glass, chemicals, paper, fabrics and green trash from others ? How recycle friendly do ppl do things here and do you have different bins for the different items (like the rest of the 1st world) or do you need to go all the way to a recycle centre to dump the different items ?

Thanks in advance for helping !!

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Hi there

We are only allowed to water on Thursdays and Sundays up to 10 in the morning and after 4 in the afternoons. It might be different in your area, you will find the neighbours will be able to helpl in your area.

As far as the trash goes you will have 4 bins. One is for garden rubbish, one is for bottles (plastic and glass). The third is for paper and the 4th is for general garbage. In our area one week will be garden rubbish and general rubbish and the next week will be paper, glass and general rubbish. Things like meat trays go in the general rubbish and not in the paper. I don't know how strict people are no one has ever complained about ours.

Also you will see that on Wednesday and Sundays people will put out anything they don't want on the pavement (council strip). You will see all sorts of things from furniture to bikes to fridges etc. People just help themselves and the council comes along at some ungodly hour and collects what ever is left.

Once you have found which area you are settling in phone the council and tell them you are new in the area and to please send you all the information you might need, you can ask them about the garbage also or just copy the neighbours. Also you can collect telephone books at the nearest post office or look on your councils website I have found they are pretty helpful.

Chat soon

Hey SS,

In my area, they collect rubbish on Wednesdays. We have 3 bins - one for recyclables, one for rubbish and food leftovers, and one for garden refuse. The non-recyclables are collected every week and the others alternate. Our current water restrictions allow for garden hose useage only on Wednesday and Sunday mornings - only for watering the gardens though - not allowed for washing cars etc. However, swimming pools can be topped up at any time. Go figure - wierd priorities!

CheersAjay

SS, you are going to get 10 different answers as there are 10 different answers. Our rubbish is collected during Tuesday nights and the recycle bins every second week during Tuesday nights. We have 2 bins - one for recycling (with a yellow lid) and one for the rest (with a green lid). We recycle tins, bottles, plastic containers, cardboard, paper etc all in the same recycle bin. You are not allowed to dispose of things like car batteries, chemicals, paint etc in your regular rubbish. Also if something does not fit in your bin, it won't be taken (i.e. the old garden umbrella, tree branches etc) Every few months, you will receive a notice for your street clean-up and this is when you put all these things out on your sidewalk. (When you receive your notice it will also tell you how to group your things etc.) This is also a nice time to do some sidewalk shopping..... (he-he) :thumbdown:

Don't' stress about this now - wait until you move into your house and watch when thee neighbours put their bins out (that's how we learned...) If you want to be pro-active, the council has a waste & recycling hot-line: 1300 134 897 or you can contact the council on 9843 0555

You are not allowed to hose down any hard surface : i.e, your car, paving, garage floor etc. You may only wash these using a bucket. You may top-up your pool but to fill a new pool you need permission form the council. (There may be certain days/times to top-up pools as well.......) We may water our gardens only with a hand held hose or drip irrigation - no sprinklers and only on a Wednesday or Sunday before 10am or after 4pm. This is terrible, I know - I used to love gardening and I was very proud of my garden. Now, I'm just trying to keep the few plants which managed to survive alive....... We use our grey water as well, which helps a lot. You can also purchase a rainwater tank for which you get a large refund from the government (but then again, it has to rain to be of any use......... :ilikeit: )

Hi SS,

Go to this web site to get all the info on water restrictions, washing machines and water tanks http://www.sydneywater.com.au/ .

I agree with the ladies above - go the the website of your shire to find all the other info on garbage disposal and recycling.

Cheers, SAS

Another thing SS, you can contact your local council for a "new residents" information package to be mailed to you. It has heaps of info & everything you need to know, contact numbers, emergency services, mulch services, waste management centres etc.

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi Girls,

Thanks for the friendly help and fantastic answers. Will contact the Shire as suggested and ask them to post me all the needed info.

Love (hope to meet all of you soon !)

SS

:ilikeit: