Going to the doctor

Madelaine

We are going on a 457 and will probably only have a hospital type medical plan, so I want to know how much you pay for a doctors visit and if you have any problems getting an appointment quickly. Also just for interest sake, say your kids need antibiotics what is the cost? This is just more or less, just want to get an idea how much to budget each month!

All replies greatly appreciated!

Hi Madelaine,

We're also here on a 457 the medical insurance company we use has a plan called "Overseas Visitors", it provides cover in case of hospitalisation and when you visit a GP, so after a doctors visit I just take the invoice I paid to one of their service centres and they reimburse me for it there and then. I took my girl to the doctor last week, it cost me $74.00 (This was for a long visit; spend more than half an hour with the doctor. Received almost $62 back from HBF. Getting an appointment that a different story, first you have to get a doctor who's taking on new patients and then it usually take 3 or 4 days before you'll get an appointment.

Regards

Sulona

Madeleine

The Dr's in Oz do not like prescribing anti biotics, only in extreme cases.

In eight years here my 1 son has only ever been prescribded and anti biotic once, and that was for very severe bronchtis.

Regarding appointments and availablity, its like asking how long is a piece of string. If they are busy, they are busy and if its an emergency, you go to the emergency room at the hospital.

Alice Springs has a massive shortage of doctors. It's probably the one thing that irritates me here.

You really have to PLAN to be sick or whilst waiting the 3-4 days for the consultation, you either die or get better!

Of course you can admit yourself to the Emergency Department at the hospital, but boy oh boy is that an education with the locals!!! :whome:

Other than Baragwanath in SA, this place has a WAITING list of foreign doctors wanting to work here to study all the bugs that live in this area. I kid you not....

I pay $65 for a doctor if I can get a date, or $144 for the ED which includes drugs/bandages etc.

I can also claim off my basic visitors cover.

Having been to a fair number of docs and the ED already (while we get used to the bugs here or learning NOT to fall off my motorbike in the sandy rocky rivers ^_^ ), I can say I have been very happy with the level of care we have received.

In fact, they are TOO careful about treating you...

Nog 'n vragie - wat gebeur as jou kleintjie hoe koors ontwikkel en jy kry nie gou 'n afspraak nie? Of gaan mens sommer emergency room toe?

If I or my daughter had an emergency like that, I'd phone the doctor first to see if there was an opening and if not, yes, straight to the hospital. I know if they have serious cases in the ED, they give them priority.