"Vaalie" family making the move

Lolly

Well, cant call myself a "lurker" ... I came accross this site yesterday and WOW, I couldn't belive that someone acutally invented something to help people that might think they're going crazy -like me. :lol:

but having said that, it still took me more than 8 hours to get the guts to write an intro!

Im 24, My hubby 33, Our daughter 2 and son 4 months.

There is nothing wrong with our lives here, we have wonderful family relationships (both sides!) We live on a stunning huge farm with animals for the kids, pool and best friends that live opposite the road. I have my own business (which is doing well) :)

My husband is a Dielsel mechanic.

So why, I ask.... am I looking at going to australia!!!..... Yes, I've said it all in my head, thousands of times;

"its for the kids"

"a better way of life"

"everyone we know would go even if they had half a chance"

"its what my huband wants... hell, its what I want"

:blush:

but somehow, I still manage to be in rut.

My husband was offerd a job there (Perth) as a Tradesman, whats the going salary if I may ask?

Is it really ok for the kids to grow up without their grandparents (my parents live on the same farm, a couple of metres away) cousins, aunts etc?

What are the houses like there? Big back yards, spacious?

When you go there, coming from SA, how do you feel?

Sorry, this is a bad intro -that's why i didnt want to do it. (warned you!)

Unfortunatly, I dont have a big ending -blind!

thanks, for letting me get that off my chest!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Don't feel stupid about asking question, everyone went through the same emotions as you do. I am fairly new here myself but the people are very helpful and friendly.

I suppose the hardest thing would be to leave friends and family behind. We left SA 4 years ago and you do get days where you miss family and friends. Some days are harder than others but one get use to it after a while.

I can't tell you that much about aus as we aren't there yet..

Best of luck,

Juba

LOL! haven't heard that one in yrs

Welocme!! You'll find a stack of info on this forum, just look around (salary's have been discussed in detail check out the money thread). Start with Jordy's list as a guide and use immi's site and you're off!

BTW where are you in RSA?

edit: link to Jody's post

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=9251

Edited by Aramat

LOL! haven't heard that one in yrs

Welocme!! You'll find a stack of info on this forum, just look around (salary's have been discussed in detail check out the money thread). Start with Jordy's list as a guide and use immi's site and you're off!

BTW where are you in RSA?

edit: link to Jody's post

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=9251

Originally born and bred in Nelspruit, then moved to Ballito and found my hubby, got married, stayed there for a couple of years, then moved back here to Nelspruit 8 months ago.

After I wrote my intro, I thought I'd get a whole lot of people telling me to get a life, but i didnt, everyone on this site is so very helpful and friendly -i love it!

I felt much better after I wrote what was on my mind hey, I came home and told my hubby that we must do it, we must go to Australia, and make the best of it.

Everyone here agrees with us even my hubbys parents; it's mine that are standing in the way.... i think that is the only reason I am finding this so hard, if I just had their blessing I know I'd be so happy and excited.

But I'm gonna make the best of it anyway, I know when we're there they'll see why we moved.

Looks like you'll be on your way soon? WHere exactly are you heading?

If I were you, Lolly, I wouldn't just take the first job offer that your husband gets.

He's a Diesel Mechanic and they are screaming out for mechanics (my son is one!), especially Diesel mechanics.

I've travelled all around Western Australia and the place that I'd really be interested in living in, if I had small kids, is a town called Paraburdoo.

This is a mining town.

Rio Tinto is the company that employs most of the workers in the town.

We spent a week there, staying with my wife's cousin's eldest son, Andrew, his wife and 4 kids.

The place has an 'average" age of 9. The kids ride the streets on their bikes all the time, having a great time. They wonder in complete safety popping into each other's houses and doing what all kids should be doing . . . climbing trees, playing cricket, etc. It was like one big child care centre with 2 000 kids of all ages! It has a good local school, shops, all sorts of stuff for young families.

You'd fit right in! . . . . in amongst a whole crowd of Australians!

They'd teach you how to see Australia, what to do and where to go.

The climate is great, the tropical beaches are only 3 or 4 hours drive away, the local National Park (Karajini N.P.) is spectacular with its enormously deep gorges and swimming holes

Andrew pays only $27 a week rent for his four bedroom company air conditioned house on 1 000 sq m. of land. They use the savings to buy a second investment property in Darwin, where they come from.

The new store manager at the local supermarket in Paraburdoo is South African!

Perth is soooo expensive to live in. Tradesmen don't get good wages in the city and you'll be battling financially to live there.

just my advice, from a bloke who's been around a bit.

Just get in touch with RIO TINTO and ask about Diesel Mechanic vacancies at PARABURDOO in Western Australia.

It will be an experience of your life. You won't look back!

Edited by Bob

Welcome Lolly

I tend to start asking one question and then add another 50 in the same breath aswell... :jester:

Goodluck with the parents, Feel for U, have the same issue..

Enjoy the Forum

Stranded

Well, cant call myself a "lurker" ... I came accross this site yesterday and WOW, I couldn't belive that someone acutally invented something to help people that might think they're going crazy -like me. :unsure:

but having said that, it still took me more than 8 hours to get the guts to write an intro!

Im 24, My hubby 33, Our daughter 2 and son 4 months.

There is nothing wrong with our lives here, we have wonderful family relationships (both sides!) We live on a stunning huge farm with animals for the kids, pool and best friends that live opposite the road. I have my own business (which is doing well) :hug:

My husband is a Dielsel mechanic.

So why, I ask.... am I looking at going to australia!!!..... Yes, I've said it all in my head, thousands of times;

"its for the kids"

"a better way of life"

"everyone we know would go even if they had half a chance"

"its what my huband wants... hell, its what I want"

:jester:

but somehow, I still manage to be in rut.

My husband was offerd a job there (Perth) as a Tradesman, whats the going salary if I may ask?

Is it really ok for the kids to grow up without their grandparents (my parents live on the same farm, a couple of metres away) cousins, aunts etc?

What are the houses like there? Big back yards, spacious?

When you go there, coming from SA, how do you feel?

Sorry, this is a bad intro -that's why i didnt want to do it. (warned you!)

thanks, for letting me get that off my chest!

Hi Lolly

Welcome to a myriad of decisions that you will have to make and changes that will have to be made.

The hardest is leaving the family and friends. What is great though, is you are creating another network of links 'down under'. It is not really that far!!!!

It is great for children to have grand parents and for them to grow up in a community orientated home environment. But if you are that type of person, you will create that wherever you go - remember that friends can become family in time too.

The lifestyle in Aus is all dependendant on the income that you are able to earn as the housing is quite expensive. But you will do some homework I take it and find that out yourself. Go to: www.realestate.com.au - you will get a very good idea of the houses, sizes and the cost and remember to times the dollar amount by 7.5 (to be safe).

Good luck with your application, etc and if there is something specific that we can help you with, let us know - hopefully it is something that we have had experience with, if not, someone on this site would have.

K.rgds

Lynette

Wow Bob, It was really nice of you to write that whole e-mail for me.

Thanks so much for that.

I think you're right, it is the first job offer, but why my husband was intrested is that he wont be working for agents, he doesnt work for agents at the moment, he's never wanted to. they offered him 6 000 per month (aussie cur) with ute and phone for private use. they said that's just for probation and they'll do a 457. Also on a mine, small company. but Im definately gonna take your advice.

It sounds like a wonderful place -dont know how to pronounce the name though!

Reading all the forums get me really excited now, -how's that for a turnaround!

thanks for the help!

Goodluck with the parents, Feel for U, have the same issue..

I think with the whole "parents" thing, they'll come and visit sometime soon -i got their GRANKIDS! and when they do, they'll tell me that I did the right thing.

I just dont talk to them about it anymore.

Hi Lolly!

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to be! This forum finally convinced us that we're normal and we're doing what is best for us as family. I'm in the same situation with my parents and lately I've also stopped sharing our plans etc. It's sad.

Good luck on your journey!

Sonja

Welcome! I loved the blind comment! Made me laugh so much in such a good way. Very cute.

Anyway enjoy the stay and hope you have a easy ride to Aus land.

Hello Lolly, and welcome! ;)

That post from Bob sounds really good! It even got me excited! Not that I'm a mechanic (diesel or otherwise), but excited for you and your family. It sounds like a really good life to me. Most of us IT types tend to end up in big cities.

I wish you all the best with your application and the adventure that awaits. :)

Mark

Hi Lolly

Welcome.

$6 000 is a good salary and then you have the added bonus of the Ute and mobile phone. Good luck with your move here and the application for the 457.

Wendy

Halo Lolly :ph34r:

Welkom op die forum.

Ja moet se ons het ook n great lewe gehad in Kaapstad maar AI n mens wil net die beste doen en he vir n mens se kiddies ne.Dis maar een van die redes hoekom meeste mense daai besluit maak.n Mens sal enige iets doen solank hul veilig is en n goeie toekoms vir hul bied vorentoe :ilikeit: n Mens offer baie op maar teen langtermyn is dit die beste besluit ooit!

Ja ek verstaan wat jy bedoel met familie en n ouma en n oupa vir die kiddies maar jul kan altyd op n vliegtuig klim en mekaar besoek en lekker op skype live chat en mekaar sien.Wie weet as jul besluit om die Oz move te maak en jul kry die dag PR en dis die Here se wil kan jul jul ouers sponser om by julle te kom bly :whome:

Sterkte met die bal wat aan die bol is!

Ursula x

Edited by Allie&Urs

I'm bly that you read the post written up and are considering other options to live in Western Australia, other than Perth.

It's a bit like my youngest daughter, Heidi, who picks up friends from Britain and America that she met while travelling overseas a year ago.

She said they all want to go to Sydney, see Sydney harbour and drive across Sydney Harbour Bridge. That seems to be all they want to do in Australia. It's so boring! There is so much more to Australia than Sydney Harbour Bridge!!

It's like you. Don't think that Life starts and ends at Perth.

Perth is just another city . . . a pleasant city, but still just another city at the end of the day.

Perth has schools, houses, roads, shopping centres, beaches, etc.

Quite frankly, there's heaps more to Life than that! You have a golden opportunity to have a great introduction to Australia and Australian lifestyle for the first few years, give your kids an absolutely amazing time in a place like Paraburdoo where they will have dozens of mates and be able to play all over the town with safety, see the fantastic bush of northern Western Australia, holiday at tropical beaches a few times a year, get a 4WD a go bush with other Australian families.

I mean the options are so varied compared to living in a city in Australia.

You'd be able to save $$$$$$$$$ also and eventually, after three or four years, put a big deposit down to finance a house in Perth or Melbourne or wherever and not have to pay for the next 25 years paying it off. You'd already have lots of it paid off already.

Andrew works four days on, four days off. He is a fitter $ turner, by trade and earns more than $6 000 a month (more like $8 000!). He works 12 hour days, gets up at 5:30 and catches the company bus at the end of the street (50 metres from his house) and gets to work 12 kms away by 6:00am and is home for teatime at 6:30pm. His four days off allows him to go to the beach 350 kms away for a few days with the family (4 kids)

Melanie, his wife, looks after the 4 kids, the kids can be anywhere in Paraburdoo playing. All she knows is that they will come home from school and be home when they are hungry for teatime and bed. She doesn't have the slightest worries about where they are or what they are doing. Nor do any of the other mums in town.

It's an amazing place. Because it's a company town and Rio Tinto employ most of the people in the town, it only has White people there. . . . . . No Aborigines, who have a big habit of believing in "affirmative" ownership . . . . or things would start disappearing like in Fitzroy Crossing and other towns across the top of Western Australia, where you have to lock your 4WD up when leaving it to shop.

It's a great place.

At least check up the opportunity of a lifetime!

Hi Lolly - welcome to the forum - as you have already seen this is a great place for support, advice and even meeting friends if you so wish. I think the missing family/support network thing is one of the biggest issues for most of us over here. It is quite difficult to build this up again but after a couple of years you'll have many friends and colleages from many walks of life - Aussies and Saffers alike. Yip, without knowing your family situation, in time you might be able to influence (directly or indirectly) some other family/friends to move over and then Bob's your uncle ( Not the one on the forum - he's everyones Aussie uncle and main interpreter of all things Australian.)

Bob - you'd better explain the "back for teatime at 630pm" to Lolly, just as you could - I'll never forget the confusion when i was first invited for tea at 530pm and then thinking how weird these people are to invite us for tea at such a weird time, we almost stopped at Maccers for a quick burger on the way - I was so hungry - we settled for a quick rice cake on the way there. Huge was my surprise when we were asked to have a meal with them!

Cheers

Bug

Edited by chatterbug

Hi Lolly.

Welkom op die forum.

Ek sal vir jou eerlik se ons het oorgekom vir ons dogtertjie se toekoms en haar veiligheid.

Anders sou ons nie sommer oor kom nie.

Dis n groot besluit en jy gee als op en moet weer van vooraf hier begin wat nie altyd maanskyn en rose is nie.

Sterkte met julle besluit.

Groete

hi Lolly.

I think Bob has hit the nail on the head... There is plenty of work for tradesmen, and one can really go shopping around for the best offer...

Also, we have found Perth horribly expensive, and if you can get a bit further out, it may be worthwhile. Though there are a number of options outside of Rio - look at BHP, Alcoa, Anglo etc. I have a couple of buddies who are diesel mech's for Sandvik and came out from RSA...

Good luck

hi Lolly.

I have a couple of buddies who are diesel mech's for Sandvik and came out from RSA...

Good luck

Thanks for that Overtaker, what do your buddies say? Are they happy, good salary. Where is Sandvik? I somehow dont believe we'll make it on $6500 salary with two kids