Adelaide and wind??

Just B

I realise this is a dump topic :unsure: , but every time I go to Port Elizabeth (RSA) the wind drives me insane. Is there wind in Adelaide? Is it of particular concern. Today was a mild 15kph, is this generally the case?

Any feedback from the folks in Ade will be appreciated

K&B

Adelaide isn't known for its windy situation, unlike Wellington in New Zealand.

Adelaide does have more blows in winter-time, but generally they aren't any worse than most places. I haven't lost my roof yet, and I only strapped it down to standard specs unlike what you must do in tropical areas where twice the number of roof screws must be put in per sheet, for example, in case of cyclones.

No.

Adelaide is pretty standard stuff for winds. . . . and that counts for just about anywhere in the Adelaide area you may happen to live.

Thanks for the ifo Bob, boy you,re awake early. 5:20am isn't ?

K&B

We lived in the 'windy city' of PE, before moving here. In comparison, Adelaide is virtually windless!

(except for today! :rolleyes:

Andrea

Hi,

We had quite a few windy days here in Adelaide. In November last year we had to anchor the pergola with extra cement tiles to keep in place. Today the wind blew a potplant to bits from the wall outside in the backyard.

Sunny days, rainy days, windy and cold, all in one week.

KD.

It all depends on where you live in Adelaide. Some areas are considerably more windy than others. Mostly the Hills areas.

There are winds blowing down the hills toward the sea mostly in the evenings called the Gully winds. They cool down the higher parts of Adelaide when the plains dwellers are sweltering.

I am originally from Cape Town and compared to that, no way is Adelaide anywhere near a "windy city". We have had the odd extremely windy day like Betsy said, but that's a few times a year only.

:ilikeit:

It sound a bit like that Adelaide is halfway in between. Obviously no wind would be a bit hectic. Thanks for all the comments and if the Cape people think that it's windless then I'm happy. I find after being 1 day in PE I want to scream and I can't imagine trying to ride a bicycle in places like that.

Thanks again

K&B

• 1 month later...

Hi Just B,

Just to answer your question about wind in Adelaide again........

Today the wind is blowing like there is no tomorrow! Storm strength winds are blowing through my back yard, lifting the pergola up and putting it down inches further. Little gnomes are flying around and my lemon tree is clinging to its pot. I cleaned and dusted my home on Monday but when this is over I'll need a

stootskraper to move all the sand outside again.

The sand blew into my eye this morning and I rubbed too hard, now I've got a torn retina as a result. All the wind's fault.

I'm scared....the wind is going to take my little paper house and deposit it into the sea!

I don't know if you know the story of little Racheltjie De Beer who looked for her little brother in the storm? Well she found him after walking in the wind and snow, she lost her life saving his. The story was on the radio many moons ago and for effect they had this howling wind in the background.

Since I heard that story and the wind, I refer to strong wind as 'Racheltjie De Beer wind'. Howling wind around the corners of a house give me the creeps. Today is a Racheltjie De Beer day for me.

Have a nice day!

howling greetings!

Guest wilna

Hi KD, jy sal my nie glo nie maar ek wou nounet na die topic soek..... :ilikeit:

WOW....die wind!!! :lol: Jy praat van jou Suurlemoenboompie.....die wind het myne uit sy pot uit gewaai.......die pot is nie omgewaai nie, die boompie is net met sy oorspronklike grond uit die nuwe grond gewaai....dit klink simpel, :ilikeit: maar jy verstaan seker wat ek bedoel. Ons gazebo (gelukkig het ons die dak afgehaal), kry ek vanoggend in die tuin, 'n groot tak van die boom op ons sypaaitjie het afgebreek, toe ek skool toe ry sien ek oral net boomtakke en asblikke lê.

Ek het nog nooit in my lewe die wind so hoor huil nie, ek het ook gedink ons huis gaan wegwaai..... :ilikeit:

Today is about as bad as it ever gets, so if you haven't been dumped in the sea on this occasion, there's a good chance you might live thro any other in Adelaide.

When you get some land, think about planting trees, especially to the south and the west. That's the direction, mostly, that any damaging winds are likely to blow from in autumn and wintertime.

I know it's a long term project planting trees, but in 10 years they'll come into their own and keep a lot of wind up off the ground and keep it over the rooftops for you.

With good cover, you should be able to go outside and hear the wind blowing thro the treetops while you calmly drink your morning cuppa :ilikeit:

Today is about as bad as it ever gets, so if you haven't been dumped in the sea on this occasion, there's a good chance you might live thro any other in Adelaide.

When you get some land, think about planting trees, especially to the south and the west. That's the direction, mostly, that any damaging winds are likely to blow from in autumn and wintertime.

I know it's a long term project planting trees, but in 10 years they'll come into their own and keep a lot of wind up off the ground and keep it over the rooftops for you.

With good cover, you should be able to go outside and hear the wind blowing thro the treetops while you calmly drink your morning cuppa :ilikeit:

Thanks for all input, where we stay at the moment the wind has a go, as for planting trees, there's a reason I'm not a farmer, people would starve. Generally everything I plant and want to grow dies. I really am looking forward wind or no wind to be in Adelaide.

Regards

B