Packing Question?

Guest colton

Guest colton

I tried to post this twice last night but nothing showed up so if you see the same question three times I apologise. :ilikeit:

I have two large mirrors, 2m x 2m, and I want to take them with us. Hubby says they will get broken but I feel that these are professional removal companies and they should be okay. Do you think I can safely pack them into my container or should I rather give them away? Mirrors this size are expensive so if possible I would like to take them with. Don't know if I would be able to afford new ones. I also have alot of glass pieces, do you think they will survive a container?

Yes, bring your mirrors - I brought 2 large ones, a huge glass-top for a table, a number of framed paintings - all got here in perfect order. They do know how to pack it not to break (and if they do - insurance will cover it......)

Guest colton

Thanks Riekie,

Now I can show him I WAS right once again! HAHAHA :ilikeit: Between you and Queensland Girl I get all my answers. I should just PM you personally but I know there are many others who have similiar queries, small insignificant things to the men especially, but things that would make life just a little more comfy for us women folk.

It sounds like you might as well pack them and hope that they survive.

I can tell you that the one thing of ours that got broken, was a sheet of glass about 40cm x 160cm - I don't think it was well packed though (long story). We did get a little from the insurance for it too.

Hi Colton

Just a suggestion, I brought a glass laminated picture, which has moved three times and always arrived in one piece. When the removals came to measure up for my quotation, I pointed out the picture to them, they took the measurements and on the day they arrived to pack up our things, they arrived with a ready made wooden crate to take the picture. They first wrapped it twice in bubble plastic and then in the corrugated board then into the wooden crate. Absolutely no problem. The picture is roughly one metre by one metre.

Hope that helps!

Mara

I guess it also depends which moving company you use - our stuff was also crated with custom made wooden crates for all the big breakable stuff - even a crate for the piano! Or fridge door was dented and they paid us out the full amount to replace it with another fridge!

I agree that if you use a reputable company, odds of your stuff arriving broken is small, and if you get insurance they pay out. I moved my mirrors over here and none of them were broken.

As Riekie said "depends which moving company you use"

Some of our stuff were also crated, like the piano, some of the bigger pictures and photos.

Just make sure you relocation company quote for it, and then you must demand it!

Off the subject... it is amasing to see two Australians unload a container of a whole house hold that was packed by 2 Indians and 4 blacks....

D :)

Guest colton

Thanks guys, really helped alot. Nice to see how many people actually took their piano over. We also have one and hubby was not really keen on taking it, if you have one you know how darn heavy they are, but it would just cost us too much to replace. Once again thanks to your experiences I now get to take mine too. :)