Hospital working hours

marlize/igno

Hi,

I would like to find out about the working hours in hospitals for nursing staff. I know I'll be working 38 hours a week, but have not been informed about how the shifts work. If any registered nurses are on the forum, please let me know.

Marlize

Marilize

In Nursing it's 38 Hours per week, the shifts you choose to work can be discussed with your NUM (nursing unit manager). Some units only work 8 hour shifts.

When working 8 hours, you will have to work 40 hours (5 shifts) per week and in every 4 week cycle you will get an ADO (additional day off). You can save your ADO's for up to 3 months, if you want to use at a later stage.

0700 to 1530

1430 to 2300

2245 to 0715

Some units prefer to work the afternoon shift from 1300 to 2130 and then the nights would be a 10 hour shift 2100 to 0730.

There would be units that work 12 hour shifts - from 0700 to 1930. You will then have to do 3 days per week and in every 6 weeks an extra 12 hour shift to make up for the lost 2 hours per week.

After 4 years in Oz, I can not do the 12 hour thing anymore.

Lunch are not included in your hours, thus the Half an hour extra /day. You do get a Tea Break of 20 minutes in the morning.

Should you need more questions answered, you can PM me.

Regards

Madelein