SKOLE IN ADELAIDE

LIGGIE

Hallo Almal en veral Marius en Annette (julle lyk soos die expert navorsers)

Ek soek bietjie raad by iemand met ondervinding van skole in Adelaide. Ek het baie links van al die verskillende skole. Maar ek sien net die name voor my. Ek weet nie watter een om te kies nie - en dis seker nie 'n kwessie van "olka-bolka-riebiekie-stolka" (spelling??!!) nie. Ek wil meer uitvind oor die staat-,privaat- en christenskole, hoer- en laerskool.

1. Watter een is die beste, watter een sou julle aanbeveel?

2. Pryse?

3. Watter woonbuurt? Moet jy in die buurt bly waar die skool is?

4. Is dit oorvol skole waar jou kind wegraak of is dit redelik klein sodat jou kind die nodige aandag kry?

Enige raad sal welkom wees.

Baie dankie

Groete

Liggie

You can "Google" on the net for

Lutheran schools in South Australia

Catholic schools

Anglican schools

Independent Parent-controlled Christian schools

South Australian Department of Education & Children's Services, for State schools

Use this link to go to a search facility that wil help you to locate all state schools in Adelaide.

Find DECS schools in Adelaide

I'll post some more link here later today.

Cheers,

Dax

Thanks Bob & Dax

I'v already got links on all the schools, but don't know which one to choose. I need advise from some one who has kids in some of the schools. I want to know which one is the best.

Thanks for your reply!!

Greatings

Liggie

Help - Any one!

Has no one got kids in any schools in Adelaide? I've got the names of all the schools, but need advice from some one with experiance or hear say. Just want to know which school would be the best

Thanks

Liggie

Hi Liggie

Ek's nog nie daar nie maar het ook so bietjie research gedoen.

Die staatskole is amper gratis en jy moet in daai area bly om jou kinders te kan inskryf. Die skole is blykbaar almal baie goed - Annette se dogter is in Blackwood Primary en sy is baie happy. Bronwyn se kinders is in Burnside op skool en sy is ook baie tevrede.

Ons gaan in die Adelaide Hills bly vge jaar en ek het my kind in St Mark's Lutheran skool ingeskryf, want ons het familie wie se kinders daar was en hulle het net goeie goed gese. Dit is Lutheran (dus nogal naby aan ons NG kerk en dis ook obviously Christelik). Dis privaat en bietjie duurder maar darem nie so duur soos party privaatskole nie.

Hoop dit help!

Nanette

Nanette, vreeslik dankie - dit help baie!

Mag ek vra wat die skoolgeld dan per kind uitwerk? Jammer ek is so voor op die wa, dit sal net help met my budget.

Hoe oud is jou kind? Seun of dogter? Miskien kan ons dat jou kind en een van my kinders, as hulle ewe oud is bietjie op die forum begin chat.

Hoe het jy jou kind al ingeskryf? Via Internet of LSD?

Hoop om gou weer van jou te hoor!

Groete

Liggie

Liggie,

It's all a matter of preference. . . . and where you want to live in Adelaide.

As for me and my kids, we chose to live in the Adelaide hills after living in Tasmania for 13 years. We wanted some place like the rolling green hillsides that is typically Tasmanian. We chose to live in Mount Barker up in the Adelaide hills, east of the city of Adelaide.

My kids went to Christian schools to reinforce the Christian principles that I believe in and want for my kids. We are Lutheran and Baptist, so my kids went to the local Lutheran school.

http://stmarks.sa.edu.au/

http://www.cornerstonecollege.sa.edu.au/

My son was the runner up Australian Apprentice of the Year against 400 000 other apprentices around Australia.

My daughter was offered a place to study Medicine. She is doing Occupational Therapy in Adelaide.

Thanks Bob

Well at this moment my preference would be close to the best school. And I'm not sure wich suburb yet, so its a bit of a pain.

Thank you for the links, I wil check them out. If I may ask, what was the school fees per month per child?

Thanks

Liggie

The "best" school is pretty ambiguous.

The best at sport? . . . the best academically? . . . the best in teaching about their Spiritual life?

We all want the "best" for our kids.

The best is a good, loving home with Mum and Dad showing their kids how a real mum and dad love each other, support each other and help each other thro the tough times, especially.

After that, your local school will be good enough.

So . . . . . YOU choose where you want to live, which area or suburb, and put your kids into the local school. If that means the local Christian school, then you can put them in there if you feel you'd like to back up the beliefs that you uphold in your family.

There are four terms in South Australia, each about 10 weeks long.

The school fees were cheaper in primary school than in high school, and we got a discount for sending more than one kid to the same school.

It cost about $800 a term for one child, about $1 400 for two and about $2 000 for three kids at the same school per term, but fees vary all the time.

In South Australia, there is a "School card" for low income parents, especially if only dad is working and mum is at home, and this gets a good subsidy from the State gov't for fees to educate your kids.

It helped us when we first came back from Tasmania and I was the only one working for a year or two.

The only tax discount available is for the School Building Fund which is voluntary and an extra charge if you'd like to pay.

Edited by Bob

Hey Liggie

My kinnertjies is nog klein - hulle is 6 en 4. Nikolas sal in graad een wees volgennde jaar (level 1). Ons gaan so 830 dollar 'n termyn betaal, dis so R1 400 'n maand. Maar dis die moeite werd!

Wanneer gaan julle oor? Pm my gerus as jy enigiets wil weet.

Groete

Nanette

Bob, thank you for your comprehensive reply!

I think what I meant whith the best school, is dissipline, morals, not over crowded, etc. I think the best would be to come and have a look in June on our LSD trip.

Nanette

Baie dankie, nou kan ek 'n idee kry vir die budget. Weet nog nie wanneer gaan ons oor nie. My man is nog bietjie onseker en ons gaan eers op 'n LSD trip.

Groete

Liggie

I don't like living in the crowded suburbs, so chose to live up in the hills to the east of the city of Adelaide.

This offers country living with small holdings of 5 acres (2 hectares) or bigger to build on. If you're a country girl, you might like to check out Mount Barker which has a Motorway going all the way to the suburbs of Adelaide, getting you to the city centre in half an hour.

The other alternative is the southern suburbs which seem to attract a lot of South Africans and Poms who like living next to the beach.

If you look at a directory of Adelaide, you'll notice the names of the suburbs which might appeal to you.

Don't forget the north eastern suburbs where many Sth Africans live, either. There is an NGK kerk there also with an Afrikaans service each fortnight.

Thanks Bob

This is definately a help! I'll have a look into the north-eastern suburbs then. Sounds like the place to bee. O, and thanks for the beautifull foto of Adelaide city!

Hi Liggie

Nuut op die forum.

Ons het in Jan hier aangekom. Huur huise was maar skaars en het maar gevat wat ons kon kry! Ons het 'n oulike huisie in Wynn Vale gekry, ek het besluit om eers my kinders in die naaste staatskool te sit, en kyk hoe dit gaan. Sover gaan dit baie goed!

Die skool is klein, en die skoolhoof ken elke kind!

Sterkte

Hallo Carica

Baie dankie vir jou terugvoering. Ek hou van die idee van die klein skooltjie, want ek voel die kinders word afgeskeep in 'n te groot skool. In 'n klein skooltjie kry hulle meer persoonlike aandag.

Wat is die skool se naam?

Is dit 'n hoer- of 'n laerskool?

Hoe oud is jou kinders?

En as ek mag vra, wat betaal jy per kind per jaar?

Jammer vir al die vrae, maar ek glo jy verstaan . . . As mens aan hierdie kant sit het jy gewoonlik maar baie vrae, en dan is julle aan die anderkant ons oe en ore!

Baie dankie daarvoor!!

Groete

Liggie

A general rule of thumb to see if a state school may be "problematic" (read: the kids), is to get onto a school's website and check if they publish their "Index of Disadvantage"

Schools with an index of disadvantage of say 1 - 3 may be challenged with behaviour, low socio-economic aspects, unemployment of parents etc.

It is not a hard& fast rule but it gives a general overview.

An disadvantage index no. 2 school is expected to be a tough, "Heartbreak High" type of place, while a disadvantage index no. 7 would be your run-of-the-mill type of place in Unley, Michham, Fullarton etc., with other words state schools that can pass for certain types of private schools, e.g. Lutheran.

Dax

• 7 months later...

Hallo daar,

Ons 2 kinders is by Torrens Valley Christian skool, die skool begin ky graad 0 and gaan tot graad 12. Ons is baie gelukkig, ek sluit die skakel in vir jul informasie

http://www.tvcs.sa.edu.au/index.php?page=our-story

Groete

Karl