Laptop?

Mauritzvw

Hey guys!

Quick question... Should I buy a laptop in SA or get one in OZ when we land?

Reason for asking is that I dont have a laptop and dont know where the better deal would be

Thanx Mau

Hey guys!

Quick question... Should I buy a laptop in SA or get one in OZ when we land?

Reason for asking is that I dont have a laptop and dont know where the better deal would be

Thanx Mau

Mau,

We bought our laptops is SA, we will be leaving around June, all the documents we posses have been scanned and up loaded, books and music etc for the trip. The HP 530 T2400 183ghz 1024 mr with 120gm hard drive is going for aroung R4799 adn it's a sweet little machine. I was n't tpp stressed about the whole warranty thing, as they can be repaired that side. You could find we have been a little dumb about it but as part of the ahole adventure it made sense.

Regards

K&B

known brands, like HP should carry a world wide warranty, check with the seller. I had a look at pc pricing, and it is relative. If you convert your rands and then buy, its expensive. but if you buy after you are earning $, its relative.. I would personally buy here, and take it with. We are taking 2 pcs and a laptop, as well as a mobile drive with all backed up info from the pc's..

known brands, like HP should carry a world wide warranty, check with the seller. I had a look at pc pricing, and it is relative. If you convert your rands and then buy, its expensive. but if you buy after you are earning $, its relative.. I would personally buy here, and take it with. We are taking 2 pcs and a laptop, as well as a mobile drive with all backed up info from the pc's..

Thanx! will look into it

Does anyone know whether your laptop counts as part of your hand luggage allowance if you fly e.g. Qantas or is that over an above?

Brought our laptop with and it has proved to be invaluble in the beginning just to be able to stay in touch!! (HP Pavilion)

Zoot can't remember!! Can you believe? Will go have a look and edit this reply.

Copied this from Quanta's web page:

"Laptop computers are a special item which may be carried as carry on baggage subject to a number of conditions. They:

must conform to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations

must be totally noiseless. (Use of printers inflight will not be permitted)

must not be used during take-off and landing

must not interface with the aircraft's power supply, and

are subject to x-ray inspections on departure.

At Australian international and domestic terminals laptop computers will be subject to an additional security check. Before x-raying, the laptop computer must be removed from its carry case and the battery removed from the laptop. All items will then be x-rayed separately. If the screener is unable to satisfy that the computer does not contain a weapon or explosive device, it is to be subjected to trace detection.

In terms of carry on baggage allowance, laptop computers and small video camera units constitute one carry on bag equivalent."

Edited by Nilo