About to buy a car

BeeTee

Hi all you Beautiful People, and ASP :blush:

My wife and I has been in Brissie for about a month now, and now it's REALLY time for us to buy a car.

I'd like to hear from you guys what insurance companies you use, how much you're paying (if you dont mind saying), what are the pitfalls you experienced, your experiences in applying for finance, did you negotiate your price down or did you pay RRP etc...I've got a reference letter available from my old insurance broker showing what a good boy I was :ilikeit:

Thanks

BeeTee & co

:blush:

Edited by BeeTee

Bee Tee......kry jy nie skaam om so te jok nie :blush: Sorry Boet ek kan nie juis help nie...Alice is te klein. Ons het kontant gekoop, en het n jaar se versekering bygekry... Ek dink as jy afbetaal MOET jy versekering he en die briefie om te se jy was soet (???) sal genoeg wees. O ja en die ouens by wie ons die kar gekoop het het die kar vir ons geregistreer (nogals duur maar dis vir n jaar) Lekker shop!! :ilikeit:

Hi BeeTee,

We bought our first car and got finance from Capital Finance. We had to put down 20% deposit, but it is possible to buy without deposit if you have the relevant negotiating skills (Who was that again? - I'm quoting someone, just cannot remember who) and/or PR. On the second car, also with Capital Finance, we "only" had to put down a 10% deposit.

We first went to SGIO for insurance, and about three weeks later decided to get a second quote, just for interest sake. RAC was a whole $180 cheaper! Per month!!!!! :ilikeit: Now we only pay $63 for the Nissan Xtrail, and $40 for the Ford Fiesta.

Enjoy the shopping,

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hey BeeTee,

Watch out for the second-hand dealers (or, as they prefer to be known, pre-owned dealers :blush: ). They can sniff out a foreigner at a hundred paces and will try to slip things past you! you can still get a good deal, but you just need to be aware and alert.

I think I might be the negotiator that Dreamy is referring to :blush:. Initially, we were told we would need to put down a 20% deposit, then they reduced it to 10%, and finally, when I threatened to take my business elsewhere (wearing my best poker face :ilikeit: ), they waived the deposit entirely and we got the full amount financed. The only restriction was that the maximum term of the lease was 36 months, which suited us fine.

Insurance-wise, we have one car with AAMI and one with NRMA, I think. The smaller car costs about $40 per month and the bigger one about $60 per month. We opted to pay annually, which also reduced the cost a bit for one of them.

If you can get a no-claims certificate from your previous insurer, it helps. Otherwise, if you just give them your old policy details, they may be able to contact them themselves.

Good luck!

Ajay