Anyone from Gippsland; Vic?

Sparrow

Hi all,

As mentioned in the Foyer, we are a young family relocating to the Gippsland area (its about 2 hours drive east of Melbourne) in Victoria. We’ll arrive on the 24th of July. Is there anybody else planning to relocate to this part of the world? Better still, is there anyone who resides in this area?

Beste Groete,

S&S

Hi Sparrow,

We are not yet in Aus, (have not yet applied for our visas for that matter!), but it appears like we will probably end up either in Melbourne or in the vicinity. This is purely based on the limited information about the place that we have gotten so far off the internet. Did you plan to do to Gippsland or did it work out like that with a job opportunity? How much of the place do you know or is it also as new for you as for us?

-RCM

"To be, or not to be?" is not the real question... The real question question is how to prolong being?

Hi RCM,

I’m in the technical field and accepted a job offer in the region. Although we’ve been to Gippsland once before (last year in July on vacation), we haven’t actually stayed long enough to get to know the area very well.

We’ve applied for the 136 visa (PR) in 2004 but haven’t taken the big step to relocate. As it turned out, my wife got pregnant shortly after we received our visas and we did not think it wise to relocate without having the security of work. Anyway, I too had a good opportunity going for me with my (then) employer in SA.

What are your plans? For what type of visa are you applying? Is there a specific area or town that you are looking at?

I am curious to know how many SAs are now living in that area.

Hi Sparrow

I do not live in the Gippsland area, but the company I work for has an office at Leongatha, that I visit. It is a lovely area, pretty much central to the dairy farming industry in Australia. I find it to be very pretty, lush green meadows, hilly in places, beautiful sea views in places, and all round a lovely area.

What are your plans? For what type of visa are you applying? Is there a specific area or town that you are looking at?

Hi there,

I'm not sure what to apply for yet, we will be seeing an immigration consultant in about 2 weeks to get more info and advice. On the one hand I want to apply for the 136 and get it done, on the other I want to try get a sponsorship and see if we can't get the company to help with the costs of moving. Not too sure what all the disadvantages of that might be, apart from the commitment of 2 years with the company. I must just get my CV updated then I can move forward. From what I have seen and read on the internet, the area seems very nice, just not sure if the 4-seasons-in-one-day weather will go down well.

We are sort of planning to be there by December this year if we can get everything sorted by then, so there is still some time to do more research and get insider info from folks like yourself that will be there by then! :ilikeit:

Cheerio!

We are sort of planning to be there by December this year if we can get everything sorted by then, so there is still some time to do more research and get insider info from folks like yourself that will be there by then! :holy:

Hi

Nie om die bubble te bars nie maar die dokumentasie, veral die van binne landse sake af, vat baie lank. :ilikeit:

"Un abridged" trou en geboorte sertifikate vir almal was vir al 'n pyn vir ons. :blush: Begin maar so gou moontlik om daarvoor aansoek te doen.

Ons het 4 maande vir al die goed gewag......miskien is julle meer gelukkig :blush:

Laat maar weet as jy meer hulp nodig het.

Koebaai

Edited by Jacobus

Jacobus don’t get me started on “Binnelandsesake”. They took up most part of our visa application process time.

When I requested for our unabridged birth certificates at Home Affairs, they somehow registered it as Type III certificates (i.e. death certificates)! To our amusement and admittedly frustration, nobody at HA was able to correct the mistake on the system! Was it really a matter of incompetence or were they waiting for a bribe??? I don’t know, but every time I went to collect our certificates, I was told that they had not been issued due to the above reason and that I had to return in 8 weeks time. Eventually, I had to chase up the matter at the highest level in order for them to correct their mistake! It took me more than 6 months to obtain our certificates.

RCM, if you live in the Pretoria-region I would recommend you to rather make use of a company called Regi-serve to obtain your certificates. They do it at a small additional cost but believe me it’s worth it!! They can obtain your certificates fairly quickly and spare you the inconvenience of chasing-up your request. Their telephone number is 012 343-7000. They are situated in Lynwood road near the University of Pretoria.

In my experience if you are thinking of applying for a PR visa, then don’t use an immigration agent. They are very expensive and you still need to fill in all the forms and get most of the certificates yourself anyway. I’ve obtained our visas without using an agent. Although the process is explained clearly and in much detail in Booklet 6, I can explain the process to you over a cup of coffee. I can even e-mail you a schematic flow-chart which I drew up for my application process. It’s fairly simple. Any questions to your specific application process can be answered in detail on this forum.

I have found however with my job-hunting, that even though there is a lot of work opportunities in Australia, only a few companies are actually prepared to go through the process and financial burden of sponsoring a job applicant. I’ve received a number of responses to contact the company again once I’ve landed in Australia, i.e. meaning that I should relocate at own expense and without them committing to offer me work before hand. Anyway, I suppose it depends on your career and the demand for your experience.

Please let us know of your progress. I am sure you’ll receive a lot of support from people on this forum.

SS

Hi Sparrow,

Incedently my wife spoke to a lady at Regi Serve this morning. We will be getting all our certificates and passports for the kids via her. It is at a slight premium, but I think the process will be a lot smoother and less frustrating. :ilikeit:

My wife and I would like to meet you over a coffee before you leave to chat about a few things and get to know you - we might even be neighbours soon depending on where we eventually settle. I will send you a private message then we can make arrangements.

Cheerio!

Incedently my wife spoke to a lady at Regi Serve this morning. We will be getting all our certificates and passports for the kids via her. It is at a slight premium, but I think the process will be a lot smoother and less frustrating. :ilikeit:

Hi RCM

Does this mean you have made up your minds?

Last time we spoke you were still looking at various options :blush:

If so yipeeeee! We'll have friends to visit then! :D

Hi RCM

Does this mean you have made up your minds?

Last time we spoke you were still looking at various options :ilikeit:

If so yipeeeee! We'll have friends to visit then! :blush:

Well, sort of,uhm, probably, eh, yes... I think the answer will be no only if we hit a stumbling block that cannot be overcome, or if we find a good reason to stay. But talking of friends, it will be great to visit, but from what I have seen here there are PLENTY of friends just waiting to be met!