Vitamins, Anti-Oxidants, etc

AfrikaSon

Hi All,

So many people are more & more health conscious today, and yes we should be with our higher amounts of polution and processed foods we have as part of our day to day diet.

How much do you suplement? What do you take regularly or daily?

And what's it costing you per month?

Edited by AfrikaSon

OK..., we (all three of us) take centrum (my daughter takes half a tablet as she is only 7yrs) & zinc, Hubby & I take Omega3-6-9 vitamins. Set us back about R280 a month.

The zinc only starts to make a difference after 3 mnths, but is cheap. Excellent for those with sensitive skins.

We've tried all sorts of other multi vits but always go back to centrum, hubby says he feels the difference (he works physically hard) if we run out, he says he gets tired more quickly.

We only recently started with the Omega 3-6-9, as we don't eat much fish or shellfish. I feel a difference but can't put my finger on it. The capsules are a bit bit for my daughter to swallow, wish I could find smaller ones, but she loves fish & eats it more than we do. :D

Aramat, try ADDvance or Eygene for your daughter. It is chewable capsules of those omega fatty acids. My son is 4 and he doesn't chew it but swallows it whole.

When on holiday in Oz we all got sick from a respiratory bug we probably picked up on the aeroplane. I went to the local pharmacy to look for echinacea supplements. Zilts, zero, nada. No "immunostimulant" of any kind. Ended up buying Ribena for my son only to learn years later that we were scammed big time. I am planning on taking as many supplements as possible with me to Oz. I do not know why I could not find any supplements there. Do they know something we do not? The South African market is flooded with supplements. I do believe that most of them are chancers and that if some authority were to test all these supplements they will probably find that they do not contain what they claim (they do not have to be registered and tested in South Africa). I believe it is the next can of worms waiting to be opened in this land of "business oppertunities".

Edited by Antoinette

They have Centrum here in Oz and also we found some multivites for the kids and Berocca for us, but I will try the Centrum, as the Berocca is too strong for me.

I think you should just ask at the health shops as most of them stock a lot of products.

I am going to the shops today and I will check for Echinacea stuff, like A Vogels????

Hi

Lots of health products - we buy online to save on costs. Have a look at the following link to give you an idea of the prices. And please do not convert...

www.epharmacy.com.au/category.asp?id=513

or browse a bit on www.epharmacy.com.au

Regards

Madelein

Edited by Madelein

We have our set vitamins delivered to our doorstep every 3 months.

Before our 3 months supply is up, we receive an email from the company asking if we would like to change our delivery. I find the products really good and having it delivered to my doorstep is just so convenient! The company is called Australian Natral Care.

SAS

Hi there,

Some medical students in SA are busy on a neat piece of research...shocking to see some results, but as we should know where money is behind something...well you end up with drug stores as big as supermarkets. Seen the latest Discems, huge hey...

What I can share with you is that throughout Aus you'll get much better supplements and of much higher quality, mostly American products as well, very strict on all regulations and they keep performing tests and improvements where possible.

I came across one report based on a very valid survey performed in SA during the whole of 2007...nothing strange for good old Suid Afrikaners to take up to 12 to 16 different pills/tablets per day, they(we) buy easiest from catalogs and from ads in magazines and we over dose on vitamins the easiest. In SA the age group between 25-45 years supplement the most, spend the most and is also the same age group that is supplementing the longest. There's cases of 30 year olds with liver and kidney damage purely due to vitamin over dose.

We'll chat again - think before you pop any pills!

Keep well.

Hi

I know that in today's busy life a supplement is easy and convenient. But I truly believe that we should try to get our micro- (vitamins and minerals) and makronutrients through food. If you can afford to buy organic, so much better. Many studies have shown that the people who are concerned enough to buy a supplment and drink it....eats well enough to get the nutrients in through food in any case. There is also the decline of nutrient value due to transport and storage of food, but that's where organic or growing your own comes in.

I try to buy veggies 2 times a week from "markets" and also grow bits and pieces at home. We invested in a juicer and we drink a fruit and veggie "smoothie" every night. This consists of apples, celery, carrots and wheatgrass. I blend in a bit of ice in order to let it taste more like a dessert (sorbet). We have been drinking this (in addition to eating as much veggies at meals as possible - stir fry etc) for a month and we are feeling amazing. The added benefit is also that it's good for your bowels and digestive system. (wont go into the detail here).

Wheatgrass is an amazing - easy to do yourself "Tonic".

BUT

If you do not have time for this - a nutritional supplement is better than nothing - just don't overdo it. One good broad range supplement is enough.

Just my humble opinion

Frenchy

I have to be really careful which vitamins I take. I can't take anything with iron in it, as it makes me ill. The irony of the whole thing is that I'm very anemic. I often struggle to find a multivitamin without iron in it.

I'm a vegetarian, so I get most of my vitamins through my food. Think I might up the Vit C though for winter, already had flu last week...got it at wonderful Home Affairs.

What supplements do you guys take to protect you against bugs in winter?

It's only the combo's together with vit C that will help...do you know that the vit C overdose we've been taught is of zero effect...FACT!

Hi All,

You just have to go look at what MannaTech has to offer!

It comes down to great research, all very new still (from 90's and going from strenght to strenght), and it teaches us about cell-to-cell comunication...all scientists across the world are into this and what will be the next breakthrough.

MannaTech in the USA has a good couple of products available, it will soon hit SA and is doing excellent in Aus. (www.mannatech.com)

You sign up and buy your products online, if you see yourself fit you can turn it into a very lucrative business by being an agent and distributing product. But just a sign up & buy will do wonders already, I strongly suggest you use the Abrotose capsules for 6 months and notice the difference. Try it, it's worth your health!

Any more details on joining, feel free to PM me.

Keep well.