"Old" newbie heading back downunder

Voortrekker

G'day all

I started browsing this website because lately I have been a bit homesick - for Australia. I clicked on the link in SACanada, and there it was - people talking about familiar Australian things. Good stuff!

I left South Africa in the 1980s, went to live downunder, and married an Aussie. Since early 2004 we have been living and working in Canada. We have nothing against snow, but now we reckon its time to go back home. If all goes as planned, our family should be back in Sydney by the end of the year, along with our new Canadian-born boy! Can't wait! Some real footy at last!

My main concern is finding a good (IT) job again, but the market is looking good - or is it? I read the online papers, but it is a bit hard to tell from a distance. I see that there are a lot of govt projects looking for IT staff in Canberra. But how are things in Sydney, jobwise? The ACS magazine says ICT demand is growing, but it is a bit hard for me to figure out at what level (ie snr, jnr). And if so, which are the hot sectors to target? Utilities? Finance? Health? Natural Resources, Govt? Does anyone know which are the good employment agencies, or employment websites these days? Its been a while ...

Hopefully someone can give me a heads-up. Thankfully, we don't have to go through an immigration process again.

Thanks

Christo

Ps. After 20+ years, my Afrikaans is getting a bit rusty, but being an ex-Free Stater, I haven't forgotten die taal. Even my little Canadian is learning it.

Edited by montxsuz

Hi Montxsuz

Welcome to the forum - sorry i can't answer your questions but I am sure someone here will be able to assist. Why not post a new topic entitled: What's the IT job market like in AuZ? you might attract the attention of forum members who are in the know more quickly than by having the questions in the foyer.

All the best with your relocation plans - lucky you dont have to wait for a visa!! It's a very long queue.

cheers

L

Hi Montxsuz

Welcome to the forum - sorry i can't answer your questions but I am sure someone here will be able to assist. Why not post a new topic entitled: What's the IT job market like in AuZ? you might attract the attention of forum members who are in the know more quickly than by having the questions in the foyer.

All the best with your relocation plans - lucky you dont have to wait for a visa!! It's a very long queue.

cheers

L

Thank you Celeste. I will do.

Ps, the Ozzie queue is long, but check out the complaints on SaCanada.

Those guys are waiting YEARS by the looks of things.

Thx

C