Hook Turn's in Melbourne City

Mara

When you live in Melbourne you have to get used to something called a 'hook turn' if you are going to drive in the city.

See the attached example, to get it to animate, just click on the play button, bottom right of the picture.

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/v.../hook_turn.html

Agge nee Mara!! That looks difficult and sorry to say dangerous!! Does it realy work? Normally if one want to turn right you 'll be in the right lane. Also does more than one car get to go thru? I'm sure the powers that be have done their homework but my word!!

Glad we dicided on Brisbane, whffff (exhale)!!

Wanna visit Melbourn though, my Uncles loved the city and also the culture. They went to see Pricilla Queen of the desert!!

Het hom al gedoen. Eers mooi gekyk hoe die ander ouens dit doen, toe doen ons dit by die volgende robot. Jy moet net kophou en orals kyk. Karre en trams. Verder is dit heel maklik.

Hi Nilo

No problem, the maximum cars that can get through is 3, it all depends on the number of lanes that they have stopped in front of, the maximum is two, and roughly three cars can fit along this, waiting to turn right!

• 4 weeks later...

Dankie Mara , dit lyk darem nie te erg nie... veral as die mense stadiger as 130 km/h deur die kruisings skiet!

wie het al ' n Kaapstad taxi turn gesien? ;-)

Believe me it only looks unusual because you are not used to it, once you have done it, seems like a piece of cake!

• 5 weeks later...

Easy Peasy !!!!

It is only scary if you have not done one. Like driving done Victoria street with a tram on your bumper !!!

Actually I never used to mind the hook turns. Rarely had to do them as I rarely drove into the city, but the few intersections that had them had a sign up high above clearly indicating it was required. To me it felt safer that a normal right turn. You tuck yourself away in the very left, no oncoming traffic to face, and wait for the traffic lights to change and off you go.

By the way, speaking of right turns, it may be my imagination, but either the suburban roads here in Joburg are narrower than in Melbourne, or drivers doing right turns here don't bother moving close to the centre of the road (blocking a lot of cars behind just wanting to go straight through the intersection). Frustrating!!! I've gotta laugh too - here you don't worry about driving around a "roundabout" - you just drive over it ;)

This seems very tricky! Can you imagine something like this in South Africa with the taxis driving the way they do?

I don't care what sort of turn you want to throw at me....nothing can beat the way our taxi's drive!

I have seen those in Melbourne. It has something to do with the trams I think!

A

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

going on a LSD in mid May - need advice, we have funny flight times, like arriving in Melbourne 5h00 am and departing 2 days later at 6h00 am. Now it is tricky renting a car during those times - we will be staying with a friend in Caroline Springs - now is there any other way getting to and from the airport so early in the morning than renting a car for instance. Hope I make sense!!

Thx

Hi GraytoAuz

I do not know of any other way of getting directly to Caroline Springs, than by car. Won't your friends be willing to pick you up and take you back?