Finding Employer Sponsors

Wataboyki

We have decided to move from South Africa to Australia, due to recent developments here. Since I will soon turn 45, I have been advised to follow the "employer sponsored" route.

In the last month I have extensively tried to find potential "Employer Sponsors", but till date without positive response.

I am a mechanical engineer with extensive automotive industry experience (strategic supplier selection/development, technology transfer, project management, supplier development and management in terms of quality, cost and delivery performance) and aerospace/military (technology management, product development, engineering management). The Oz-automotive industry is in decline, and the aerospace industry (usually) requires security clearances.

The best route seems to be to use my transferable skills in the mining industry. So far I have had a negative response as soon as I mention that I do not have mining experience.

Can anyone assist?

Wataboyki.

Hi

The route I went is to phone one of the ads on WWW.SEEK.COM .AU .I got a sponsor but you can pm me then I will give my details so you can contact me.

Don't stop looking.

Alex

I think the auto industry is much like RSA, it has it's ups and downs. The only really bad news I have heard is that Mitsubishi is pulling out. But they were on around 100 units a day. The auto industry seems to focus most of the plants around Adelaide and Melbourne. Melbourne being the bigger of the two with both GM and Ford in Geelong. I haven't heard of too many sponsorships in the auto industries.

I am busy with a PR visa application and then will head for Adelaide, also in the auto industries. My expertise is in the area of quality assurance, auditingand general TS 16949 requirements.

Good luck with your search, I certainly hope you find what you are looking for.

K&B

Welcome to the forum! All the best for the journey that lies ahead!!!

Just wondering, if you are turning 45 soon, wouldn't it be better to get your PR application in as soon as possible??? Have a good look around www.immi.gov.au and speak to more than one reputable agent, as there are a few duds :) out there.

I know of one situation where an agent failed to file a PR application before a lady turned 45 :ilikeit: (she was a nurse and on the skills shortage list) and she missed out big time!

Happy reading!

:D

edit: upon reading your post again I see that you said Employer Sponsored, like in ENS visa??? Just make sure that they sponsor you for PR and not just for a working visa (like in long-stay - 4 years)

Edited by maraai

• 3 weeks later...

You can try these too, I have received quite a few positive responses from the following employment sites: learn4good.com

statusglobalstaff

skyrectruitment

globerecruitment.com.au

workforce solutions

bestjobs.co.za (in the search box, headed location, click on abroad)

Hope you find something, holding thumbs for you!

Hi

I do not have a sponser but this is what I am doing and my hit rate surprises me.

I am applying for PR 136, but do not have patiance, (when I want somthing I want it now). I have sent my CV and cover letter to about 50 jobs (www.seek.com.au) Initally my cover letter said I will make my self available within 6 weeks should any one want to see me. Once I got a positive reply I booked tickets, got holiday visa and changed my letter to say I will be in Aus at end March to have interviews. Now I have two company interviews and 4 agents want to see me.

I think Prospective employers want to see commitment from us before they commit.

Just my opinion

Paulsf,

I did exactly the same. Had 3 interviews lined up, one hour after the first interview I had a job offer with a 4yr sponsorship...

Will you hire someone you have not met? I won't...!

Good luck! When you have an interview you are probably one of 5 or 6 applicants. And the line manager is looking for reasons to hire you - that's why they are spending their time on your interview. Max Eggert's books - Perfect CV, Perfect Interview etc (most good book shops should have them) are worth reading. His techniques worked for me..

Good luck!

Hi BriteBlue

Thanks for the wish's

I am hoping to get the 1st one as it is in my field, the line manager is taking the effort to pick me up from the airport, house me, show me around before going in to the factory on the Monday. Definetly did not expect it, but it tells me that Aussies will help those that make the effort. I know not to count my chickens before they hatch, but with that attitude how can one not be positive?

I am still making a consertive effort to apply for at least a job a day. Search every night for new ones in my field and apply (4 today) Most come back negative but happy with a 12% hit rate. I would like 2 intervews a day for the week I am their.

And if that don't work then it will be my wifes turn. And if that don't work then hey, I better learn patiance. But I still believe "what you put in is what you get out" in all things in live

Cheers

Paul :thumbdown:

The cool thing about the 457 is that only one needs the job - the other has no restrictions. If my wife got the sponsored job, I could've started our own business and in 4 yrs we're home dry...

Wataboykie: welcome to the forum :ilikeit:

All I can suggest is that you persist. Don't give up. I was in the same boat (but in IT), and just kept hammering away at it.

Don't underestimate the power of a phone call as opposed to a CV emailed through a job website. If the advert gives a phone number, make the call. Ask to speak to the person referenced in the advert, get their personal email address and fire off your CV that way. That way you pretty much jump to the head of the queue (if they are willing to sponsor), and you know that someone has seen your CV almost within minutes of sending it. And they actually get back to you if you do it this way!

You'll get about a 90% response rate, at least! :ilikeit: . Ok, not all would be positive, but I'd rather apply for 10 jobs and get turned down 9 times than apply for 100 and not know if 90 of the places have even seen my CV.

It costs about a buck a minute to call Oz in off-peak time from a Telkom landline, and it's absolutely worth it!

Also, if you phone, they also won't waste your time if the company won't do a sponsorship (e.g. 457 visa), they'll tell you straight off. It helps you target the places better.

I was making calls from midnight (9am Melbourne time, with daylight savings) to about 3am (10am Perth time), averaging about 6-7 calls a night, 3-4 nights a week. Averaged about 10 minutes a call, and a few minutes to personalise the covering letter and email it off with my CV.

I did that for about 3 months.

Do not lose heart.

Also, if you target actual companies as opposed to recruitment agencies, you'll likely have far better luck.

And the first prize is if you can take a holiday and go over there for a couple of weeks. Once a company hears you're going to be over there, they'll fall over themselves to organise interviews for you. It shows them you're serious. I did this, and came back with a promise of sponsorship. That company bailed on me at the last minute, so I contacted my "plan B", and they came through, so hopefullywe'll be in Brisbane by May (come on DIAC!) :magic:

Good luck!

P.S. with the employer sponsored visa, you can get the ball rolling on an on-shore PR visa application as soon as you start. So even if the 457 sponsorship is for four years, you'll have your PR within two. Friends of ours did this, and I think the company pushed their PR through somehow, they got it double-quick, like within a year (tho my fiance might correct me on this later)

Edited by wislon

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent advice to call and then post CV. For those of you who are doing this via the normal landline route I suggest you use skype on the PC. You can make those calls for FREE via your PC.

Excellent advice to call and then post CV. For those of you who are doing this via the normal landline route I suggest you use skype on the PC. You can make those calls for FREE via your PC.

Can you buy Skype credits in Rands now? Last time I checked (a coupla months back) you could only buy in currencies like AU$, US$, GBP, and a couple of others. I didn't try any further to buy in another currency on my credit card (tho I guess there's no reason it shouldn't work?).

Has anyone else done this? It would be a lifesaver if so (I know it's about 8 ozzie cents a minute to call a landline in SA from Oz, and about 30 ozzie cents/min to call a cellphone and the quality is fantastic)

• 2 weeks later...

HI

My boyfriend uses Skype all the time to phone his son in Perth. He buys the credits in Euros, but its still MUCH cheaper than using the phone - so really worth it.

Worth a shot

Leigh

We have decided to move from South Africa to Australia, due to recent developments here. Since I will soon turn 45, I have been advised to follow the "employer sponsored" route.

In the last month I have extensively tried to find potential "Employer Sponsors", but till date without positive response.

I am a mechanical engineer with extensive automotive industry experience (strategic supplier selection/development, technology transfer, project management, supplier development and management in terms of quality, cost and delivery performance) and aerospace/military (technology management, product development, engineering management). The Oz-automotive industry is in decline, and the aerospace industry (usually) requires security clearances.

The best route seems to be to use my transferable skills in the mining industry. So far I have had a negative response as soon as I mention that I do not have mining experience.

Can anyone assist?

Wataboyki.

Hi Wataboyki

Try careerone.com.au and alljobs.com.au and look especially in South Australia as the mining industry is growing here big-time.

Good luck

JulieK

HI

My boyfriend uses Skype all the time to phone his son in Perth. He buys the credits in Euros, but its still MUCH cheaper than using the phone - so really worth it.

Worth a shot

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

This may be a dumb question, but can I assume that your boyfriend is in SA? Did he have to do anything special to buy them in Euros, or did he just use a regular credit card?

Tx :ilikeit:

Hi Leigh,

This may be a dumb question, but can I assume that your boyfriend is in SA? Did he have to do anything special to buy them in Euros, or did he just use a regular credit card?

Tx :ilikeit:

Hi W,

I have bought Skype credit using my credit card with no problem. Just make sure you have a good broadband connection when calling (ADSL preferably).

Hope this helps!