Cadet Programs for youth in Australia

Dreamcatcher

Hi there,

Just dropped off my 13 year old son at his first survival bivouac. How proud can a mom be :whome: he looks sooo grown up and handsome in his uniform.

Before we came to Aus, I never knew they had these cadet programs for the youth. I think it is a great innovation. Anyone else out there who has their kids enrolled in this? My son is in the Air Force Cadets, and there is the Police Rangers as well as the Army and Navy Cadets. This is a nice way of getting kids to mix with other kids that have more or less the same values, and to learn some proper discipline.

OK, OK, just had to share this moment with someone :)

Greetings,

Dreamy

Guest Jules

Hi Dreamy, you proud Mom you :(:whome:

That sounds interesting. My son's only 8 so I suppose that's a bit young yet, but it would be great for the future. How long is the program and what will he be doing while he's there? Is there a website or somewhere we could look to find out more about it?

Sounds like a great idea :)

Love

Julie :D

Hi Jules,

Proud I am indeed. He is only 13 and-a-half and almost 6 feet tall. He wears a number 12 shoe! He looks so grown up in that uniform :)

The website is here, it has all the info for the cadets. They have to be 12.5 years old, and it costs $110 to join. They then issue them with everything they need. My son has started in May this year, and received 3 different uniforms! They can then stay there until they are 20. Unfortunately you have to have PR to join. I was very upset about it, (we are on 457) and ranted about it to hubbie's HR officer. She phoned the next day, to tell me that they have granted special permission for my son to join! Now THAT'S an HR officer :whome:

They get together every Monday, from 6pm to 10pm, and do "Air Force things" as he tells me. He loves it. They go on outings to the airports, on survival camps, and all kinds of other stuff I still have to learn about.

I just looked at another site, and it seems there several other places the kids can join, gee whiz, wish I could have done that as a child! Used to love the "Voortrekkers", the camps and stuff. I think it gives a child some balance in life, these kind of things. Going out in a disciplined environment and learning about the world, and life in general. It certainly added some spice to my life, and quite a few interesting experiences. I hope that it does the same for him. :D

Greetings,

Dreamy

Guest Jules

Thanks Dreamy :ilikeit::P

It looks really interesting, I'm sure my son would love it and there's an air force one close to where we live :P I'll just have to keep things quiet for a few years until he's old enough otherwise I'll be plagued to death :ilikeit:

Is it mainly for boys or do girls do it too? My daughter is almost 13 and I'm sure she would join too as long as she knew there were other girls doing it ( she's still at the ewwwww boys :ilikeit: stage hehe).

Proud I am indeed. He is only 13 and-a-half and almost 6 feet tall. He wears a number 12 shoe! He looks so grown up in that uniform

Awww, proud you should be :):)

Love

Julie :)

Hi Jules,

We just picked him up and I noticed quite a few girls there. Most of them were in the Police ranger uniforms. They look so nice, all of them. As soon as my daughter takes an interest, I'll enroll her too. She is 11 now, and still very much on the dolls stage (wish she could stay there forever :ilikeit: ) I cannot wait for my youngest to join up, I think it will be good for him. He is an extremely active kid.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hey Gals

This is very interesting - being an ex navy boy myself I'll definitely get Buggie jnr - still to be born though, involved, with the Naval Cadets however! Do you know of anything for younger kids, sort of to prep them???

Military BUG

Hi Bug,

I don't know of anyone who takes them on earlier, and if you find out, please let me know too. I need to get my youngest (9) involved. He sometimes drives me up the walls...

Seems like we're gonna have to prep these little "bug'gers" ourselves! :ilikeit:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hey Dreamster!

Found something - I remember they have these in RSA too, sort of the english version of Voortrekkers - The Scouts - You seem to get Joey scouts, Cub scouts all the way up till they are older: Check it out @

http://www.scouts.asn.au/

Maybe worth a try? Are there any others out there who know's about scouting?

Snuffel BUG

Guest Jules

Thanks Dreamy! I've spoken to my daughter and she seems keen so I am going to get her along to one of the meetings as soon as we've moved house so she can see if she likes it :whome:

Bug, thanks for that link. I think the scouts will be ideal for my son who is still too young for the cadets. I'll let you know how he finds it but judging from the website I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!

Julie ;)

Thanx Jules - keen to hear how they find it!

C'Bug