Any nurses relocating to OZ?

OzinAUG!!

Hi

I am a registered nurse. I wanted to know whether there were other nurses also moving over to OZ?

How did the registration with the respective Nursing Board go?

Hi

We've been here 6 years...My wife's a nurse...the whole process went really smoothly, (for her anyway) at the nurses board in sydney; were currently in Newcastle though...

Nursing is quite a promising career here....$$$....if you are an RN8+, then that is the maximum salary scale...

nursing is not limited to hospitals, but also aged care facilities...

If you have all the documents and referees/references then it should be no problems...

regards

Keith Griffen.

Hi!

I am a ICU-trained nurse. We are relocating to Canberra ACT in April (If everything goes to plan). :ilikeit: . All my documents have arrived at the ACT Nursing Board. The Board will decide my fate on 7 March :whome:..

I have been sponsored by a private hospital there. How far are you in the process?

Karen

Edited by Karen R

• 2 months later...
Hi!

I am a ICU-trained nurse. We are relocating to Canberra ACT in April (If everything goes to plan). :unsure: . All my documents have arrived at the ACT Nursing Board. The Board will decide my fate on 7 March :holy:..

I have been sponsored by a private hospital there. How far are you in the process?

Karen

I am soooo sorry for the late reply!!!

Thanx for the responses.

Are you guys already in Oz???

Well there was problem with my application with the Nurses Board of Western Australia!! - Since I am now a Medical Advisor (not working as an RN in the ICU full time) the had initially advised that I needed to do the Bridging course in Oz before I actually started the RN post (8 week course!!!) - Anyway I had to send work statements advising that I presently using my clinical skills as an RN (I am working for inten nurse as an RN , part time). They are presently assessing my application again.....waiting for the verdict!!!

Where in the process are you karen?? Are you already in Oz???

Good Luck!!! :whome:

My wife was offered a 4 year contract with a hospital in Perth.She has been appointed on scale 1.9 which is the highest rating on Scale 1.Everything is going smoothly though but I think this is as a direct result of her being interviewed in SA by the Director of Nursing for the hospital group.Also, the recruiting company is Oz based and so a lot of the visa/registration matters are handled by them.

So far the only hiccups we are having are with our local people and getting transcripts etc translated.Also a word of advice,if you are a RN dont do the IELTS exam.The OET exam is geared directly toward medical professions and will be much more useful than the other.

All told,IF the admin on SA side doesnt block the system, we will be here for another 3 months.

My wife was offered a 4 year contract with a hospital in Perth.She has been appointed on scale 1.9 which is the highest rating on Scale 1.Everything is going smoothly though but I think this is as a direct result of her being interviewed in SA by the Director of Nursing for the hospital group.Also, the recruiting company is Oz based and so a lot of the visa/registration matters are handled by them.

So far the only hiccups we are having are with our local people and getting transcripts etc translated.Also a word of advice,if you are a RN dont do the IELTS exam.The OET exam is geared directly toward medical professions and will be much more useful than the other.

All told,IF the admin on SA side doesnt block the system, we will be here for another 3 months.

Thanx SeanK

Yes I am an RN. I actually did the IELTS exam on the 12th/04. It was the Academic one - The British Council and the Nurses Board of Western Australia advised me to that one!! - Anyway - I passed (Band score = 8).

Can you tell me if your wife is already registered with the Nursing Board of Western Australia?

The Reason I ask is becos I have left clinical nursing - full time since 2005. I am a medical advisor for an insurance company and I session in the ICU on some wekends.

The Council is still assessing my registration application.

I hope that I dont have to do any bridging course!!!

If she is registered....how long did it take, and did they post the registration certificate and number to her?

Regards

Vanishree (ozinapril)

I am a RN who already completed my training in 1986. I left clinical nursing to do managed healthcare in the medical aid industry in 1994 and did it up to 2004. I then registered as only a mental health nurse in the UK and was only back to "hands on" mental health nursing in the UK for one year when I applied to register with the NBSA as a mental health nurse. I had NO problem at all-it went through the first time and and in less than a month I was registered. It could have even been in less than a month if it was not for......quess..... the nursing council in SA :angry::whome: to send my transcript of training. I had to make a personal visit to the SANC visit to get it done...Afterwards I learned that I could have asked my university to do the same and they would have done it at NO costs! :ilikeit::whome::blush:

So hopefully the fact that you do some weekend shifts will assist. I have seen on the British Expats forum that NBWA is notorious for being difficult with registration procedures. I found NBSA quick, efficient and competent. I then did the modified skill assessment (we applied for the 175 visa) with the ANMC which also went through in less than a month.

Good luck and keep us updated! :ilikeit:

I am a RN who already completed my training in 1986. I left clinical nursing to do managed healthcare in the medical aid industry in 1994 and did it up to 2004. I then registered as only a mental health nurse in the UK and was only back to "hands on" mental health nursing in the UK for one year when I applied to register with the NBSA as a mental health nurse. I had NO problem at all-it went through the first time and and in less than a month I was registered. It could have even been in less than a month if it was not for......quess..... the nursing council in SA :angry::whome: to send my transcript of training. I had to make a personal visit to the SANC visit to get it done...Afterwards I learned that I could have asked my university to do the same and they would have done it at NO costs! :ilikeit::whome::blush:

So hopefully the fact that you do some weekend shifts will assist. I have seen on the British Expats forum that NBWA is notorious for being difficult with registration procedures. I found NBSA quick, efficient and competent. I then did the modified skill assessment (we applied for the 175 visa) with the ANMC which also went through in less than a month.

Good luck and keep us updated! :ilikeit:

The SANC is sending her transcripts to the Oz nursing board.These have to be updated and translated before they are sent irrespective of language test scores. It cost about R1000 to have it done.Once that is done you shouldnt have to do a bridging course but it helps to check first as different states nursing boards have different rules still.They are supposed to be part of a uniform system tho

Thanx SeanK

Yes I am an RN. I actually did the IELTS exam on the 12th/04. It was the Academic one - The British Council and the Nurses Board of Western Australia advised me to that one!! - Anyway - I passed (Band score = 8).

Can you tell me if your wife is already registered with the Nursing Board of Western Australia?

The Reason I ask is becos I have left clinical nursing - full time since 2005. I am a medical advisor for an insurance company and I session in the ICU on some wekends.

The Council is still assessing my registration application.

I hope that I dont have to do any bridging course!!!

If she is registered....how long did it take, and did they post the registration certificate and number to her?

Regards

Vanishree (ozinapril)

Hi,

It seems that each state has different criteria but I am in the proccess of registering in QLD and they do not seem to worry if you had a gap in actual nursing but are happy to accept that you at least work part time for an indeterminate length of time.To be safe,as long as what you are doing now is closely related to the medical field or that you can prove a minimum of 20 hrs per week then you should be fine.

A word of warning about our "amazing" SANC who are top of the heap at rip-offs.QLD require verification of your registration and I am sure the other states do too so QNC as part of their application has a form that has to be sent to SANC.Being a typically organised person,I sent my request by registered mail and enclosed a stamped,addressed eenvelope for their convenience as it cannot be sent back to me but directly to QNC.That was one month ago.So I phoned today and got through to an extremely unhelpful individual who told me that it was sat on her desk and she claimed she only received it that day.Anyway only then did she tell me about the R500.00 FEE fOR VERIFICATION.The details she needed were at the touch of a button and I sent an envelope for her too so what is the charge for I ask you.So no option but to pay,pay pay !!!!!!

Good Luck - SHIRLS

Hi,

It seems that each state has different criteria but I am in the proccess of registering in QLD and they do not seem to worry if you had a gap in actual nursing but are happy to accept that you at least work part time for an indeterminate length of time.To be safe,as long as what you are doing now is closely related to the medical field or that you can prove a minimum of 20 hrs per week then you should be fine.

A word of warning about our "amazing" SANC who are top of the heap at rip-offs.QLD require verification of your registration and I am sure the other states do too so QNC as part of their application has a form that has to be sent to SANC.Being a typically organised person,I sent my request by registered mail and enclosed a stamped,addressed eenvelope for their convenience as it cannot be sent back to me but directly to QNC.That was one month ago.So I phoned today and got through to an extremely unhelpful individual who told me that it was sat on her desk and she claimed she only received it that day.Anyway only then did she tell me about the R500.00 FEE fOR VERIFICATION.The details she needed were at the touch of a button and I sent an envelope for her too so what is the charge for I ask you.So no option but to pay,pay pay !!!!!!

Good Luck - SHIRLS

Hi All,

Just as a matter of interest, when we were still in Richards Bay, my wife was in the process of registering with the Queensland nursing council.As part of the process, they asked for a letter from her unit manager, to say that she practiced in English.We sent this, but they apparently never received it.In the meantime, we had written the IELTS, and passed, so I sent a copy off the the QNC.To our horror, they came back and said that the results were not good enough, and that she would have to re-write.They gave the option of the IELTS, the OET and the ISLPR.We booked for the ISLPR in Brisbane, for the week after we arrived.Just as we got here, the QNC decided that they would no longer accept results from the ISLPR.We went and had a meeting, in our first language, English, with the Director of the QNC.After considering for a day, they said that she had to re-write the IELTS, and stood by the decision not to accept the ISLPR result, despite the fact that we had already booked and paid.

My argument that the ANMC and the DIAC were happy with our English failed to impress them, nor the fact that they kept changing the goalposts.The IELTS test is booked for the 31 May at Griffin University, quite a long waiting list, and $240.

The point is that you if you follow the general skilled migration route, you may well find that you are found skilled enough to work in Oz, English enough to immigrate, but then cannot actually work because of differing standards.And don't think you will get the QNC to bend the rules.It seems that they are very wary of the africans, and perhaps for good reason.Do your homework, and don't send any info that wasn't asked for!!

Charles

Hi All,

Just as a matter of interest, when we were still in Richards Bay, my wife was in the process of registering with the Queensland nursing council.As part of the process, they asked for a letter from her unit manager, to say that she practiced in English.We sent this, but they apparently never received it.In the meantime, we had written the IELTS, and passed, so I sent a copy off the the QNC.To our horror, they came back and said that the results were not good enough, and that she would have to re-write.They gave the option of the IELTS, the OET and the ISLPR.We booked for the ISLPR in Brisbane, for the week after we arrived.Just as we got here, the QNC decided that they would no longer accept results from the ISLPR.We went and had a meeting, in our first language, English, with the Director of the QNC.After considering for a day, they said that she had to re-write the IELTS, and stood by the decision not to accept the ISLPR result, despite the fact that we had already booked and paid.

My argument that the ANMC and the DIAC were happy with our English failed to impress them, nor the fact that they kept changing the goalposts.The IELTS test is booked for the 31 May at Griffin University, quite a long waiting list, and $240.

The point is that you if you follow the general skilled migration route, you may well find that you are found skilled enough to work in Oz, English enough to immigrate, but then cannot actually work because of differing standards.And don't think you will get the QNC to bend the rules.It seems that they are very wary of the africans, and perhaps for good reason.Do your homework, and don't send any info that wasn't asked for!!

Charles

Hi, I have been offered a post in Melbourne on a 457 visa....yesterday. NBV need to assess your application for registration before deciding that IELTS is neccessary....so like you said, Buzzard, don't send in documentation unless it is reuired, you may be wasting your time

Hi All,

Charles

Thanks for that Charles,boy they really sound full of S****! I am a bit of an anomally as I originated from Scotland 15 years ago and trained there too! God forbid that they ask me to do an IELTS as that is my only language.Maybe I should use some Aussie slang and try to impress them that way ha ha !!

hi im a rn - just wanted to know whether we will survive on my salary rn4/5 for a year or so untill my child is old enough to go to pre school, my hubby is going to look after her untill such time, he then can go and work 'cause apparently chreches is just not worth it ?? too expensive. (ps were thinking of going to south australia)

I am a registered nurse. I wanted to know whether there were other nurses also moving over to OZ?

How did the registration with the respective Nursing Board go?

Hi

on behalf of my friend I would like to know where she should look to find work as an medical technologist (mediese tegnoloog?) not sure of the english spelling.

Thanks

Melanie

Hi Melanie

Vandag is weer een van daai dae wat ek sukkel met die Engels. In watter tipe werk is sy? Pathology, ens. Verskillende werke, maar niks op sponsorship of op die "skills in demand lys nie" - ongelukkig. Sy sal moet aansoek doen vir die 175 visum en haar kwalifikasies moet laat evalueer. http://www.aims.org.au/c/ Kyk bietjie op die Immi website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/m/...cer-3111-11.htm

Elke staat het sy eie Raad waarby sy moet registreer.

Groetnis

Madelein