Getting Mum to Ausieland

Karl and Nanette

Hi all,

I am busy applying for immigration to Ausieland as some of you would know. I just wondered how difficult it would be to get my Mother there, that is to say if we get in.

Hopefully someone can give me an idea?

Thanks

Karl

Dear Karl

The most important criteria regardless of what visa you bring your Mom on is:BALANCE OF FAMILY test.

How many siblings do you have, and how many of them still live in SA?

Just let me know and I will explain some of the options.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gal,

Sorry I'm only replying to you now. I've been a bit busy, a trip to Cape Town.

We are 4 kids and I'm the only one leaving on a jet plane.

Karl

Hey Gal,

Sorry I'm only replying to you now. I've been a bit busy, a trip to Cape Town.

We are 4 kids and I'm the only one leaving on a jet plane.

Karl

Karl,I do not think you will be able to bring your Mother. The Balance of family test is applicable in EVERY parental visa-even the Parent Contributory Visa. If you can encourage another sibling to leave SA (irrespective of where in the world they live) you will have a chance. Sorry.

My uncle managed to get around the balance of family rule to get his mother in law rule. His wife have 2 siblings but as the mother in law has been living with them and they have supported her she is managing to get in. However if you can not proof that they are dependent on you, you have to go back to the balance of family test :) Ask me I know. I have 2 brothers and I am trying my best to get 1 of them to live here!!

Hi

Interesting topic. We are in the same process. I hope we have a better chance to get mum-in-law over, as wife is an only child, gran is divorced and has been for 20 years. We stay in the same house for the last 5 years and to top it all she works in my family bussiness.

I am under the impression that she will be be able to exit with us as my dependant adult family member.

Please correct me if I have been mis-guided....

Peepee

G'day,

Thanks for the replies. Thing is she is living with us in a garden cottage on the same property and she is a dependant on my medical aid. Does that help or am I fighting a loosing battle. Suppose I should go and make my millions in Ausie land and ship her over!!!!

Thanks for all your replies.

Till later.

Karl

According to booklet 6:

"You may include other relatives in your application if they are wholly or substantially reliant on you for financial support for their basic needs of food, shelter and clothing and they have been reliant on you for that support for a substantial period. They must also be more reliant on you for support than on any other person or source."

What constitutes "substantial" would be open to interpretation. The burden of proof is on the applicant.

Hi there. I am pretty much in the same situation, having a daughter over 18 and a mother that is financially dependant on me. What I can gather is that you need to fill in a form "47a" for each of these dependant persons and proof that they are actually dependant on you as JJV said. My problem is also how does one proof that? Hopefully someone will shed some light on this that's been through this process? Good luck.