Management, Admin, Prof & Assoc Prof occupations Assessment

Dedrei

This thread is dedicated to all your questions & queries you might have regarding getting your skills assessed if you are occupation is in Management, Adminitration, Professional or Associate Professional. And also just a 'support group' for them.

VETASSESS's website is here

If you are not sure what assessing authority is applicable for your occupation have a look here

Hi Dedrei!

I know that my skills fall under VETASSESS (Economics), but have another question:

Are all your qualifications assessed in one? Meaning:

I have a (3-year) BCom in Economics/Informatics, and one post-graduate Honours in Economics.

How will this be assessed - since it consist of both IT and Economics.

I'd obviously like to include both the BCom and the Honours in my immigration application for this exact reason. Would it be assessed as two qualifications, or as one? (I know that a BCom in a lot of countries is a 4-year course that includes the Honours?)

Thank you!

Inge

Hi Inge

Have you tried contact Vetassess via email and finding out? We have done our TRA app so not too familiar with the others.

Cheers

D

Hi Dedrei!

I know that my skills fall under VETASSESS (Economics), but have another question:

I have a (3-year) BCom in Economics/Informatics, and one post-graduate Honours in Economics.

I'd obviously like to include both the BCom and the Honours in my immigration application for this exact reason. Would it be assessed as two qualifications, or as one? (I know that a BCom in a lot of countries is a 4-year course that includes the Honours?)

Thank you!

Inge

Inge

More details than a public forum should display are needed for anyone to offer meaningful advice.

I would suggest that you consult a registered agent (not necessarily me, although I'm happy to help if you emailed me).

Peter

Hi Dedrei!

Thank you!

Inge

Inge,

See http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.1#link3A for further info regarding skills assessments. Please note that for the skills assessment with Vetassess, qualifications do not need to be specifically related to your nominated occupation. You will obviously need to look into whether your work experience is of sufficient length and capacity to satisfy the visa criteria for the class you are applying for however (obviously along with meeting all additional criteria).

Regards,

Fiona Carre

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia

Hello,

I have been an overseas student in Australia and have a Bachelor of Art (BA) and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from an Australian university in Queensland.

I plan on practising law but I wont be able to get a positive skills assessment as a solicitor yet because I still have some practical training to do.

I've been told that it may be possible to apply for a skills assessment for a "Policy and Planning Manager".

I however have no work experience as my student visa prohibited work.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a positive skills assessment from VETASSESS based on my law degree and BA?

If anyone has applied for a Policy and Planning Manager skills assessment or has any other information that may help, it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Clair

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Claire

Sorry for a delayed response from my side, only saw now while researching info on VETASSESS...

I could be wrong but my understanding is they assess your qualifications according to the field you want to immigrate ing, not the experience...that comes in separately in the visa application from what i understand.

My fiance is in a similar situation where he's now finished studying but hasn't relevant working experience, but they look at your degrees...

Hope this helps!! :(

Now a question hopefully someone can answer.....please?

Sorry it may appear really stupid of me, but on the VETASSESS app form you have to provide certified passport sized photo's, did you certify them on the back, or a letter with the photo's stating they are certified, cause the photo's are small but want to be sure how they accept before we certify a separate letter for the photo's and its wrong... :ilikeit:

I had mine certified on the back of the photos. (squeezed in!)

C'Lou

Guest Bronwyn

Hi there numbers people! :ilikeit:

I am posting this question on behalf of my sister-in-law who is currently having her accounting qualification assessed to come to the land of Oz. She did her B Comm through Unisa in SA but is currently completing her CPA in England. She unfortunately failed her very last subject with 48% and her CPA assessment application was already in. They declined it based on her failed subject :( , but in a seperate email said they will approve her if she passes. She will re-write in April & get her results +-2 months later.

My question is: they live in the UK and had to get Police Clearances from UK & also SA - the SA one was really a pain for them because of the fingerprints in another country, etc. How long is that valid?

I think their clearance will be 6 months old about 2 weeks after she gets her results. If the Police Clearance is received and the re-application submitted a few days before 6 months is up, will it still be OK?

Will she actually need to re-submit everything? What about medicals?

Has anyone else got any other info or help for her? She was a bit devastated, and this has really put a spoke in her plans because they sold their house 2 weeks ago. Now they will have to rent for a few months...

Thanks!

Bronwyn

I got mine certified on the back of the photo. Get the person to stamp it diagonally - so they get more on the picture and get the bulk of the stamp on e.g. name and certify etc. That is what the person who certified my photos did and it was accepted. Just a tip - once the person has certified your photos, let the ink dry on the back before putting it in an envelope etc (the ink on the photo paper takes longer to dry) that way you will avoid smuding and having to redo.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the responses... :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I got a positive assessment from VETASSESS in September last year. If you're doing your application now, my suggestion is to get two certified copies of each degree, birth certificate and so on that you have to send to VETASSESS (excluding the photos). Even with your positive assessment, you still have to send in all the supporting documents with your visa application again, so it'll save you some time!

Abby (& Tim)

• 5 months later...

I'm hoping to get some feedback here. I'm currently looking into relocating to Australia. I've had a look at the VETASSESS website and it seems to be more trades orientated.

I am a Senior Architectural Technologist (registered with SACAP in South Africa) with a 4 year B.Tech degree in Architectural Technology with the speciality in design. The qualification is recognised/accredited by the Commonwealth Association of Architect and the Royal Institute of British Architects (part one).

I'm a little uncertain where I fit in as I'm (strictly speaking) not an Architect (ASCO code 2121-11, assessed by the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia) but would probably fall under the classification of Architectural Associate (ASCO code 3121-13, assessed by VETASSESS). Thing is, the qualification is way over and above what a draughstman would have, but a little shy of what an Architect would have. Not even mentioning experience...

I'm hoping someone here could help me clear this up a little.

• 3 months later...

Hi - can anybody help me?

Would Vetasses require tax certificates for a company that was owned in another country? My husband owned his own company in Cape Town over 2 years ago. I still have the registration papers but can't find the tax papers. Would they still require them even if he has been working for a boss for over 2 years now or would the registration papers suffice?

Dear Kaztayli,

I did my Vetassess assessment a very long time ago :ilikeit: , but according to my memory I only had to submit my degree certificates with the academic transcripts.

Hope it helps :ilikeit: .

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi - can anybody help me?

Would Vetasses require tax certificates for a company that was owned in another country? My husband owned his own company in Cape Town over 2 years ago. I still have the registration papers but can't find the tax papers. Would they still require them even if he has been working for a boss for over 2 years now or would the registration papers suffice?

As Pippa says, Vetassess will only be interested in your academic qualification and nothing else.

However, self-employed people have to supply additional documents to DIAC for the visa application process, more so than salaried employees.

All the best.

Regards

Peter

Registered Migration Agent, Sydney NSW

• 3 weeks later...

Technical interviews:

I know they are held quarterly in Cape Town and few other cities in RSA, does anyone know in what months they are held?

Many thanks

As Pippa says, Vetassess will only be interested in your academic qualification and nothing else.

However, self-employed people have to supply additional documents to DIAC for the visa application process, more so than salaried employees.

All the best.

Regards

Peter

Registered Migration Agent, Sydney NSW

Hi ptlabs

I need your advice please. I have been advised to apply for the PR visa under the skilled category "Sales and Marketing manager". I have extensive senior management experience, the last 4 at directors level. My concern is that my current official title "Sales and Marketing Director" is a recently new one, although I have fulfilled the role of this position for at least the last 4 years. My basic info is this:

I have a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Cape Town. I graduated in November 1991. My major was in economics. I then did national service and then worked in the computer business as a sales account manager (1 year). After that I temped as a book keeper for a temping agency before working on a private game reserve between 1995 and 1996. I was employed there as the reserve accountant. On my return to Cape Town I joined my current company in May 1996 as a book keeper. I have been with the firm for almost 12 years now.

1996-book keeper

1997 operations team member

1998-2001 Operations Manager

2002-2003 Financial Manager

2004-2006 Director

2007 Joint Managing Director

Aug 2007 - current Sales and Marketing Director.

My question is, how strictly do AIM apply the assessment of management skills to the particular category, or is the point just that you must show that you have senior management experience, which in my case is of a very broad nature in a variety of different senior roles? I have been involved in the Sales and Marketing side of the company at strategic level since 2002.

My firm is one of South Africa's largest coach touring operations, and we run a fleet of over 60 luxury vehicles and have approximately 100 staff on the payroll.

I am 38 years old now, and I am very nervous about doing the skills assessment incorrectly? What do you advise?

I would really appreciate your input on this.

Kind regards

Brisbound

• 3 months later...

I sumitted an online application on 17 April and couriered the required documents to VetAssess the next day. Hubby also sent his ACS docs on the same day, he has already received an email form ACS, but I'm still waiting. If I go online to check the application I just see my application record and it says status active. Am I supposed to receive an email from VetAssess and how long should I wait before contacting them to check whether they did receive my documents?

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are writing the IELTS tests on Saturday - finally. I have already received a positive skills assessment from Engineers Australia.

My wife is an audiologist and I am wondering if we should apply for her skills assessment as well? We will be applying under subclass 175, so apart from possibly being able to claim 5 additional points for the points test, is there any benefit in applying for her skills assessment under VETASSESS?

I'd basically like to know if she would be able to work as an audiologist in Australia without a skills assessment or can we skip the skills assessment with VETASSESS and apply directly under a body such as Audiological Society of Australia or perhaps ACAud? I have read another post on the forum but I'm still unsure as the DIAC site states that there is no licensing and/or regulatory requirements.

Any advice, help and/or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the responses... :blink:

Hi Chandi

I think I was lucky becasue I didn't certify or sign my photos. To be sure perhaps contact them first before forwarding your docs.

regards

Zarina

• 5 months later...

Hello

I would appreciate if someone could just "nay" or "yeah" me here!

I sent my degree to VETASSESS at the beginning of December 2008. On their website the "Assessment Status" said 'POSITIVE'. Does this mean that they've approved my degree? I know it may sound like a silly question, but most of you understand what happens in your head during this whole process.

Thank you.

Bev

• 3 weeks later...
I would appreciate if someone could just "nay" or "yeah" me here!

I sent my degree to VETASSESS at the beginning of December 2008. On their website the "Assessment Status" said 'POSITIVE'. Does this mean that they've approved my degree? I know it may sound like a silly question, but most of you understand what happens in your head during this whole process.

Hi BevF, I take it that by now you've received an answer and most likely a confirmation of some sort? Good to hear everything went well for you.

We will be applying under subclass 175, so apart from possibly being able to claim 5 additional points for the points test, is there any benefit in applying for her skills assessment under VETASSESS?

OK, I'm blatantly going to answer myself here...

Dear Wynand,

My personal advice would be to rather do your wife's skills assessment as well. It shouldn't cost too much and normally you are only required to send a minimal number of documentation and you should hopefully receive your positive skills assessment result in a short time.

Consequently, you'll also be able to claim 5 additional points for spouse skills, should it perhaps happen that you are not truly eligible for other points claimed. The most important reason and motivation for doing your wife's skills assessment is that you never know what the future may hold, for instance (I believe this now became a reality ;]) - DIAC might bring new changes in place which might affect the priority/processing time of an application and as such, you might consider to rather lodge for example a State Nominated Visa (176) instead of a Skilled Independent Visa (175).

The shorthand: relatively inexpensive, able to claim additional points, allows for flexibility should the Visa 'landscape' change.

*Wanders off for another superfluous, monotonous conversation*

Edited by Wynand

Hi Wynand

Yes, I got a positive assessment. Not sure if it was the time of the year I sent off my degree, but within 2 weeks I received my answer. Was so excited about this so I can't imagine what it's like to get your actual visa!