Medicals for children - Mantoux test for 2 to 11 year old

GOOD2GO

I just found out from HatMed that all children (2 - 11) need to have the Mantoux test done as from 20 November 2015.

This was communicated to them through a letter from Australia as they are a registered Panel Physician.

This involves an injection (48 to 72 hours before the medical examination) of 5 tuberculin units (TU) purified protein derivative (PPD) intradermally (between the layers of dermis).

If the body is infected with TB you will have a swelling reaction in the area according to the severity of the infection.

If negative your body should "naturally" dispose of the substance.

Please see this links for more detail ... I have no medical knowledge except for what I read ... so please read for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantoux_test

http://www.healthline.com/health/ppd-skin-test#Overview1

Our medicals are booked for 13 November 2015 ... I don't want to put my kids through that stress.

Edited by GOOD2GO

Thanks for the heads up. we will have to try and book the medicals before the 20th then.

From what I've seen in my very short look, it doesn't look very pleasant. I also want to know if it would leave a mark? Can't they test it some other way?

From what I've seen in my very short look, it doesn't look very pleasant. I also want to know if it would leave a mark? Can't they test it some other way?

RedPanda,

It doesn't leave a mark like the BCG and is quickest, cheapest and least invasive way to test fo TB. My wife had one when she went to live in Germany at 17.

The alternative is to expose children to x-rays, then to look for scaring of the lungs, which often, like in our case will need to be referred to a Dr. in Australia if there are any anomalies, even if you don't have TB. This takes time and money, so this test is the quickest and most cost effective way of checking for TB.

We of course all feel the pain when our kids are jabbed, but there is good chance they will be having more immunizations here in Australia, both our kids had to have 2 shots each before they were allowed to enter the school system to bring their South African schedule up to the Australian standard.

It's sadly one of those things.

Cheers

Matt

Ah, ok.

Fortunately we'll be starting them off in Aussie...still some time to go before we start a family. And I am very much in favour of vaccinating. I can't believe the nonsense many of the Americans are now spouting. I'm really glad Aussie made it mandatory. They seem to do a lot of practical things when it comes to regulation.

Did our medicals today. Everything seems to have gone Ok but we could not do the x-ray's because Hatmed were running on generators. (Have to go back on Monday or go to Sunnyside- Heart hospital)

Had a chat with the doc and sister at Ampath, they both say that this test is going to cause chaos.

I am just glad we are done. No just x-ray.

• Like 1

Good2Go I am glad you managed to get your Medicals done without a hitch, one step closer!

Would you mind sharing what they did, I am a little freaked out for ours on Wednesday?

Thanks

• Like 1

We did ours last week.

They did a urine test for blood, sugar protein.

Height

Weight wear easy on and off shoes because both are done without shoes.

Answer the questions truthfully.

Eye test.

The dr will look at answers and ask questions about them. I learned from someone else if they dont ask dont tell. Dont volunteer information. He wrote down everything.

The physical that the de did was

Blood pressure

Ears

Eyes

Throat

He listened to our chests

Felt abdomen.

Checked reflexes.

Make sure you take your daily or chronic meds and /or prescription

With regards to the surgeries they were not concerned about day cases. Only if you stayed overnight.

Hope that helps.

Medicals is not to much to stress about....... unless you or one of your dependants have a medical problem. I think that can become stressfull.

Everything As KnoxFamily said. The medical is not to harsh.

Drawing blood is ... well ... drawing blood. I don't have to much of a problem with it but my wife always dread it.

For the kids... doc Lingenfelder really know how to handle them, they liked him and he made it fun.

Just do it before 20/11.

Thanks for the above information, off the topic, my brother in law that applied for there Pr in Aus told me that they had to pay a courier service to pick up and deliver the results after the medicals was done, does this apply to us in South Africa aswell?

We went to HatMed and all out stuff was handled electronically and automatically. We didn't need to touch a paper or send a file. We just checked that the results showed up on our ImmiAccount within the allotted time frame.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

We are going to Rosebank. Can someone please advise on the costs for the Medicals? Are the kids Medicals less or the same?

Edited by JoleneW

Kids are the same price.

Ours cost R900 per person and R1070 each for the xrays.

In total R5740.

But that was in durban. Only 1 place registered to do it.

@JoleneW

As mentioned before we did our medicals at HatMed.

Medicals @ R800-00

Blood tests @ R190-00

X-rays @ R500-00

Kids only do Medicals.

Adults do everything.

Our Total should be R4580-00 after doing the x-rays.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks GOOD2GO I booked my medicals for Wednesday! One step closer. Also booked our medicals at Hatmed.

Thanks for the info.

Our referral forms say our daughters (11 and 12) do have to have x-rays but not our son (6), apparently over 11 years they need to have it done.

Confirmed costs this morning...ouch we in for R7,144 :cry:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, anyone had medicals done with children (2-11yrs) after 20 November? Just want some info on the new test and if done on same day or before. Thanks

JackoFam seems like no one has done medicals with a child since new regulations.  I am booked for 6 Jan at Rosebank. After speaking to the receptionist we have to go back 2 days later so they can see any reaction for new test for my son. 

Thanks Justmish2009. I will phone Hatmed and see what is involved. We live 3.5 hrs from Pretoria so going back 2 days later is a hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the Mantoux Test. We are heading up to Pretoria on Friday for our medicals but were able to get a local Ampath Lab to administer the Mantoux test for my son - we just had to time it that the Hatmed panel doc would 'read' the test after 72 hours. Hatmed was pretty helpful with this. Rosebank weren't really sure of the procedure.

Will update again after Friday to let you know how it went but I thought it useful for all of those who have to travel for medicals with children under 11