SkillSelect 189 for 20th June 2018

Thank you @Justyna

It's got me so nervous that you have to do this test in a room with other people talking -makes no sense to me.

The appointment is already booked for Saturday morning - likely a busy time but I had to do a weekend slot as cannot get away from work for 3 hours.

I'm also nervous of the re-tell lecture question - but from my research I think the main thing to remember is to keep talking clearly and with proper English no matter what!

10 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

Thank you @Justyna

It's got me so nervous that you have to do this test in a room with other people talking -makes no sense to me.

The appointment is already booked for Saturday morning - likely a busy time but I had to do a weekend slot as cannot get away from work for 3 hours.

I'm also nervous of the re-tell lecture question - but from my research I think the main thing to remember is to keep talking clearly and with proper English no matter what!

Good luck @Cherryford !  You will be fine ;)

Just spend whatever time you have working out best way to technically tackle each part of the test.

We practiced 2.5 days.. and after we 'compared the notes' with my husband, after we got the results, we both agreed that one needs to practice speaking continuously... with no hesitation even if on occasion you have to make up stuff 🤣.

Re: re-tell lecture task - good notes are the key, you have to write fast and pick the main points in the lecture, also be prepared hearing people speaking at normal/fast speed in different accents.  

Ahh.. one more thing... I don't remember how much time you have to re-tell the lecture, but I made a point to 'click' (end my time) the moment I  was done... even if it was a bit earlier... 35 seconds, instead of 45 seconds (max time) ... to avoid being marked down for silence... 

I'm just trying to think what else might help you... I tried to 'touch type' when you had to type out the sentence you were hearing.  This worked quote well as it's quite difficult to memorize the whole sentence and you have seconds to compose yourself.

Re: sharing the experience with other people - YES, this is very tricky especially at the beginning, but you get used to it... you just can't help but you end up listening to other people talk!  then you have to snap out of it, cover your ears tightly and you go for it!! ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justyna said:

prepare a few sentence intro because this is the first thing you need to do when your time starts

Don't stress about the intro. It's not scored.
https://pearsonpte.com/the-test/format/english-speaking-writing/personal-introduction/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HappyIsland said:

great! one less thing to worry about  ;) I must admit I missed it when preparing and got stressed about it at the very beginning of the test! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cherryford said:

@HappyIsland how did you do?

any advice for the day? 

Proper microphone placement? Worst question types to prep for? Managing with other people speaking around you?

Refer to this guide: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting worried now as 3 people I wrote with on Saturday have their results already and I don’t have mine... why on earth would there be such a delayed distribution?

On 7/23/2018 at 2:55 AM, Cherryford said:

Getting worried now as 3 people I wrote with on Saturday have their results already and I don’t have mine... why on earth would there be such a delayed distribution?

My pearson results took 2 weeks, give it a bit more time.

• Thanks 1

Finally got my results

Got 84 overall - got so excited and then remembered the requirement of 79 "for each of the 4 sections" :(

Listening - 68 (the section where the test froze and needed to be restarted)

Speaking - 90

Reading - 90

Writing -66 (the section where I ran out of time and missed the 3 write from dictation questions)

Now the question...

CAANZ only requires a min of 65 for each section to get a skills assessment - do I use these results to get a skills assessment done?

Then write the test again to get better marks to submit for the EOI?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Cherryford said:

Now the question...

CAANZ only requires a min of 65 for each section to get a skills assessment - do I use these results to get a skills assessment done?

Then write the test again to get better marks to submit for the EOI?

Thanks

The English test used for the Visa does not need to be the same as the one used for the Skills Assessment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1