Work experience assessment post EOI ?

Karel777

Question

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the informative and friendly forum!  I'm hoping someone can advise me on the following:

I'm ready to lodge my EOI for 189 / 190 with electronic engineer as occupation, so need at least 65 points (also for 190 sponsorship).  I'm certain of 60 (age, english, degree) and need to claim at least 5 for work experience.  I already have my english test result and a positive skills assessment from Engineers Australia, BUT I had opted not to have work experience assessed by EA at the time. My work experience is complicated as some is from 2007/8, some while employed at university (not academic role, but in a tech spinout project), some while finishing a masters part time, some software dev etc, therefore hard to predict how much will be deemed 'relevant'.  I reckon I have up to 5.5y, but have read some horror stories about this, with obvious risk of visa being denied due to 'over claiming' in EOI.

Now, my plan is as follows:  Lodge the EOI with 65 so long to get in line, then apply to EA for work experience assessment (wait up to 8wks) and based on the outcome, either 

1. leave the EOI as is (3-5y),

2. update to 70pts (>5y)

3. withdraw (<3y) and wait for my wife's nursing registration and skills assessment (~6months) for extra 5p.

Now, I realise it's a big no-no to lodge an EOI while the skills assesment is still pending, but as far as I can tell this isn't a problem with experience assessment so what I'm proposing should be OK.   Any thoughts / similar experiences / suggestions?  :)      

Thanks for your time,

Karel

Edited by Karel777
clarity

3 answers to this question

When you submit your EOI and you claim points for a relevent work experience you need to check a box that says it has been assessed as relevent.

If you submit it on a date claiming points and then get the positive assement form with a later date the DIBP will see that you claimed points prior to getting a positive assessment and they will reject your Visa App due to false info on EOI. At this point you would have paid the Application fee so not really worth the risk.

On 16/11/2017 at 1:51 PM, Piet1234 said:

When you submit your EOI and you claim points for a relevent work experience you need to check a box that says it has been assessed as relevent.

If you submit it on a date claiming points and then get the positive assement form with a later date the DIBP will see that you claimed points prior to getting a positive assessment and they will reject your Visa App due to false info on EOI. At this point you would have paid the Application fee so not really worth the risk.

Are you sure?  The check box only asks 'Is this employment related to the nominated occupation?'

Just to be clear, I already have a positive skill assessment.   As far as I know, the experience assessment is an optional add-on with Engineers Australia.   And DIBP will assess work experience themselves if an experience assessment from EA is not provided (and even if it is provided, they still double-check all supporting documentation). 

So by choosing to do the experience assessment as an optional add-on later, I'm looking to limit my own risk.   In my case, I'm claiming 3-5 years experience.  If for some reason EA assesses my experience as less than 3 years, then I can at least avoid paying $$$ for the visa app.  

Has anyone here been in / know of someone in a similar situation?

Thanks

Hi,

You may be right in that front.

I can't recall if the part we selected to say it was assessed was for Skills only or both. We are going the accounting, which is probably the hardest route and needed 80 points... so I wasn't taking any chances, I had degree and work experience assessed by two different bodies prior to EOI.