Help advice on immigration options for future teacher

ChrisinBris

Question

Hey team

Asking for my little brother-in-law. What are the options for a South African who has just finished their BA degree and wants to become an English teacher, teaching in Australia. Post grad degree / diploma not yet done. Busy investigating possible options.

1. Study post grad in SA apply after (problem, he is not young)

2. Study the postgrad in Aus through Aus university, so apply for study visa and then PR / regional sponsored thereafter (benefit can actually work during this time and earn some cash)

3. Study the postgrad in Aus via UNISA, so apply for a holiday visa or similar.

4. Any other options you can think of

This young man has had a long run of crappy luck. He never lived up to his full potential. He has been working his arse off at a job he hates to put himself through university. If we could get him here, I think we could really help him on the path to a happy life. 

Any advice welcome.

6 answers to this question

Hi Chris.

Currently the occupation of Secondary School Teacher is good for migration - but this could change in the future.

Option 1 is good but ensure that his course includes at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice.

Option 2 is good but in order to qualify for a SC485 visa he needs to complete at least 2 years full time study in Australia.  A Post grad will only be one year.

Option 3 is not an option as he is likely to only get a 3 month stay visitor visa.

Can't think of any other options.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Look at the Masters in Teaching conversion at University of South Australia as an example. My son was halfway with a Bed at UPta when we came over. He's converted to a BSc and then will do the Masters. Timewise i.e. complete teachers and then do conversion in Aus or just complete it in Aus (end up with a Masters degree which is good) seems to be much the same.

However - Redpanda's right - the international fees if you don't have permanent residency from the start are crippling. Have a look at the 190 visa state sponsored as an option and add up the points (he will need 60 I think - the state may give him 5 points for state sponsorship - not sure if this still happens)

Your sticking point may be the skills category he comes over with.

Alternatively - go the family route and sponsor him (489 visa). He will then qualify for permanent residency in his own right in two years, and then he's good to go. Might seem a long time but it will go quickly.

In one of those oddities, TAFE SA treats a person on a 489 visa as a local, so there are many diploma courses he can do that will enhance his qualifications in the interim (like IT or VET education) at local prices and with government funding.

Lots of options!

• Like 1

I vote for Option 2 - study here and then go regional. Reason being that he'll do his prac teaching here so local experience and fewer hoops to jump through for teacher registration. Going rural could be the making of him too. 

• Like 2

Hi there, 

agreed with RYLC, if he only recently qualified he wont have enough points for 189 experience wise, unless he does honours or get state sponsorship worth an extra 5 points, so I think studying in Aus might me less of a pain. 

Just make sure that studying in Aus is a viable option financially speaking, because they load up the fees for international students. So just plan accordingly. (But for sure, the sooner you're over, the better!)