Pet emigration! Keringa vs Pet Port

TarrynR

I emailed Global Paws and they referred me to "pets en transit" as they gave me the impression that I could fly our dogs from Durban. This isn't the case. Apparently they must fly from jo'burg. So the quote I got from pets en transit was more than the pet port quote! And Keringa was more than double (for the kennelling, etc) than pet port. My decision: Petport!

Also, if anyone is leaving in January (like we are), you need to bear in mind that the Onderstepoort lab closes from around the 18 Decmeber until the 7 January. This will have an impact on receiving results in time.

TarrynR can you share what the total costs are with the various quotes you received? Trying to determine if I will be able to afford transporting my 2 girls.

Hi dme

The quotes for the flights vary from R38 000-58000. That's from Durban to Jhb to Dubai to Melbourne.

The kennel quotes also vary if you opt to do that. Pet port are around R4800 for 7 days and Keringa were R11000 for 7 days. This is for 2 dogs. Pets en transit quote without kennel option if you choose to do the medical costs yourself.

Then your import permit is around $800 (for two dogs) and quarantine costs are $149 per day per dog, plus extra for the vets and processing, etc.

In total for 2 dogs it will probably cost us around R110 000!

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, we've just started looking into the process, we have 2 border collies. The costs are jaw dropping! How long beforehand do we need to start the process with the Vet?

@TarrynR, are those small, medium or large size dogs? Do you know if it make a big difference cost wise?

Thanks!

The process needs to start 6 months before departure. The website gives all the details. Here's the link: http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs

The price of the flights should vary for different size dogs. As far as I know, they determine it on weight. We've got 2 Labradors that weigh about 34kg each. The flights and quarantine are the biggest expenses. I couldn't believe their flights cost more than ours.

Move2Aus it does make a difference how big the dogs are. Mine and Tarryns are two Labradors.

Quarantine has gone up to $170 a day now ?

They will need the bloods drawn for the RNAT test at least 180 days before flight date but not more than 24months. I made the mistake of not reading correctly and thought it was 180 days from vaccination. Big mistake.

I have had quotes ranging from R49k to R78k. Then plus all the costs on the Aussie side. It's financially crippling considering my family of 5 is costing me much less than that to fly across.

Thanks for the info TarrynR and KirstyS! Can't believe it either, more than flying business class. Such a huge decision, you want them there as they are part of the family, but we are probably going without jobs so have to be careful.

@TarrynR Global Paws told me it had gone up to that - was estimated in the quote. I hadn't checked the site to see.

@Move2Aus, we are also going without jobs so it's a HUGE thing. I still have to sign on the dotted line so to speak. Definitely can't do both dogs in one go even though it does work out slightly cheaper in the long run financially not do-able right now.

• Like 1

I think the daily rate is $149 but there are admin costs like check in and various other fees so they quote $180 to be cautious. I was also told to estimate $1800 dollars due to this. So we are using Petport to Melbourne and then Jetpets for the domestic leg to Adelaide. Costs to Melbourne with quarantine about R50k plus domestic travel costs and vet bills. We are only doing the 7 days prior and might extend the boarding if needs be.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and still finding my feet. We got a quote from Petport today that seemed reasonable at 21k for our 2 small dogs, excluding all quarantines etc. The one problem I have, is the one dog is a pug, apparently Emirates only fly these breeds in their winter, Oct to April, however after the 7 months wait (I still need to get the rabies shot, last one was when they were puppies), it will be after April, meaning the pug will only be able to come over next October! I asked about Qantas, but apparently they only fly into Sydney, and apparently the quarantine facility in Sydney is closing next month... Anyone have any advice on another airline that will fly into Melbourne and will accept snub-nose breeds?

Hi. Check with PetPort about Singapore Air as they are another option.

I think Emirates & Qantas are the only two - check out KLM, as our pugs have flown with them before, but to the UK, not Aus.

If Emirates and Qantas are your only choices in the end - may I suggest you find out if they are allowed to fly into Sydney & be transported to Melbourne?

I'm so annoyed they're closing the Sydney quarantine - our pugs can only fly end of Jan, so they have to fly Emirates JHB via Dubai to Melbourne, hate the idea of them not having a direct flight, which Qantas to Sydney would have been.

We will be based in Sydney, so will collect them from Melbourne when my babies are released from quarantine.

Good luck!

Ok, I'll try KLM. I though about the option of Sydney then Melbourne, but apparently the law is that the dog must board in its port of first entry?

Shame man, a connecting flight is not ideal, but I'm sure they will be ok!

Hi Jobizzle,

Just check with petport about transporting your pug. They have a lot of information and rather find out before you start worrying! It could also be an option for your vet to give a clearance for them to travel.

According to Aus rules, your animal has to go into quarantine at the first port of entry. After 9 November the only quarantine is in Melbourne so they have to fly direct into Melbourne.

We've just got our dogs import permits so our next step is booking quarantine!

Good luck!

Oh yes duh, I've done this a few times before you'd think I'd click about the first port of entry, don't mind me haha.

My brain is like mush getting last things sorted on my side!

Keep us posted what happens, hope PetPort can help ease your worries, I'm sure something can be worked out.

• 4 months later...

On 28 September 2015 at 11:47 AM, AlisonC said:

I think the daily rate is $149 but there are admin costs like check in and various other fees so they quote $180 to be cautious. I was also told to estimate $1800 dollars due to this. So we are using Petport to Melbourne and then Jetpets for the domestic leg to Adelaide. Costs to Melbourne with quarantine about R50k plus domestic travel costs and vet bills. We are only doing the 7 days prior and might extend the boarding if needs be.

Hi AlisonC,

How was your overall experience with Petport and Jetpets? We will most certainly be using Petport to get our cats to Melbourne, but then need to choose between Jetpets and Dogtainers to get to Adelaide. Any recommendations or advice? Did they do delivery to your home or did you need to collect from the airport? 

Thanks so much,

Ros :)

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

From OUR experience and a family member who has just been through a shocking experience (their dog might even be brain damaged) I would NOT recommend using Petport AT ALL for your fur kids!! They don’t care about the pets and communication and documents get lost, they don’t take responsibility for their mistakes and so willing to just argue with you!

If you love your fur kids then DON’T USE THEM!!

On 9/15/2015 at 7:28 PM, TarrynR said:

I want a company that treats my dogs like their own

These people are all in the business of making money from moving animals across the world.  They're not in it because they love animals - they do it because there was a gap in the market and they took it.  Always remember that.  I'm not saying they don't care, have bad intentions or will harm your animals but if you're thinking the pets are loved, pampered and consoled then you're not being realistic.  It's a business. 

• 1 year later...

My experience with Petport so awful that I ended up hiring another agent despite losing the compulsory 15% deposit that Petport requests to give you some sorts of dates and information (and I do have proof of very upsetting conversation with a Petport agent who told me that was not going to give me any information - other than a quote that could vary at any point - if I did not pay a 15% non-refundable deposit). I spent four and a half months trying top bring my cat from Johannesburg to Barcelona with no results. True, it was covid time but the other company brought my cat home in two weeks after my first contact. 

I went through long periods of silence, ignored emails, extremely poor information (I never got a budget breakdown, something that the company always offered), lots of contradictions, etc. etc. On top of this, they claimed that there was a 5 days compulsory quarantine that it was never needed with the other travel agent.

I would not recommend Petport to the worst of my enemies. The last thing you want when you have your pets travel is the type of service I got.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an open ended question but would like to hear from other members that have taken their pets over

We were quoted R 112'000 for our 2 Jack Russels to Brisbane (comprehensive package) by a company suggested in the feedback above. I knew it will be expensive to take them with but R112k feels like a lot. 

• 1 month later...

50k each was the going rate for us in 2019/2020. 
Cape Town to Perth.  Boarding, flights (to Melbourne, and then Perth) and quarantine included.