Sydney - St Ives, Hornsby, Cherrybrook and Wahroonga?

Totoro

Hi All

We're planning to move from Sydney's Eastern Suburbs to either ST IVES, CHERRYBROOK, WAHROONGA OR HORNSBY. One child in primary school and one in high school. Our son that''s in high school still struggles with the english language as he's only been in Aus a couple of months, thus our focus will be to find a GOOD PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL (due to financial constraint we cannot consider a private school) for him.

I currently work in Mosman, thus PEAK TRAFFIC TO AND FROM MOSMAN will play a role and we would prefer a 3 bedroom house (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to rent) in an area where there's AFRIKAANS SPEAKING SOUTH AFRICANS (our main aim is to seek an area where our teenage son can feel at home - he is from the Free State and is experiencing a bit of culture shock at the moment).

My husband works in the St Marys area, thus somewhere in the middle of St Marys and Mosman will be ideal.

Anyone able to give me advice on where to move to?

Eina. The Mosman-St Marys part if this puzzle makes my head hurt. You could not have picked work places that are any more incompatible. I"ll try again later.

Cherrybrook,st Ives and Wahroonga have lots of South Africans. Whether they speak Afrikaans at home or not I wouldn't know. You are well aware of where these suburbs are so you must maar decide whether the commute is doable for you.

We ended up in St ives, because a train station is easily accessible from here (Gordon) and it's kinda in the middle for us. Our daughter is at school in Hornsby and I work in St Leonard's. You might need that train access if your hubby works in St Mary's.

As for schools, St Ives high is apparently not too bad, but you are aware that good high schools are strictly zoned. Killara High also has a very good rep. But as you know, rent is not cheap in the areas with good public high schools. I can't tell you how good the public school in Hornsby is, but Horsnby is on a train line and the rent will be cheaper than the other areas you mentioned.

Edited by Pell

Killara High School does have a very good reputation. You can live in Gordon, Killara, Lindfield and Roseville and still be in the catchment area. See: http://www.killara-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/documents/3148203/3155406/Local%20Enrolment%20Streets%20KHS.pdf

Good primary schools in Killara are Beaumont Road Public School and Killara Public School. Gordon-West is also highly rated. I think Artarmon Public School is at or near the top of the list for good public primary schools in the North Shore.

We moved to into a house in Gordon from an apartment in Killara about 3 weeks ago. Our daughter is in Kindergarten.

Edited by qwerty