Negative Skills Assessment - General Accountant

Kooskrokodil

Good news and bad news.

:ilikeit:I have an interview scheduled for Thursday morning for a job with a 457 sponsorship.

:thumbdown:My skills assessment came back negative. I have 11 out of 12 Core knowledge areas, but not the one mandatory “Accounting Theory, Professional and regulatory processes”. The ICAA assessed my RAU (1993-1995) :grads:(Rand Afrikaans University accounting)degree based on a 32 page academic record submitted to them. I fail to understand how this specific area was not covered enough during three years of study with accounting as the main subject.

Anyone else have a 3 years accounting degree from RAU with a positive assessment?

And no, I am not giving up yet.

Thanks

I have a RAU degree and my assessment came back positive

Could you not request that they check your paperwork again or alternatively have your skills assessed by CPA Australia?

Edited by Brad76

Unfortunately you are going to have to phone Australia and speak to the person who assessed your file. They must tell you exactly why they assessed your file the way they did. You are entitled to that.

I feel for you. My assessement was also negative and a reassessment has just set me back a further R6,000!

I had my skills assessed by ipa australia and it came back positive. I had my degree at rau in 2004. I then applied dor skilled employment but ipa said. They don't recognise my employment. I then decided to apply for skills assessment through cpa australia and it came back negative. I then sent them syllabus details of my honours degree which I obtained through unisa and the asessment came back positive. Initially cpa said that I don't have accoyunting thery and procesess but after I sent them my honours details it came back positive.

Kooskrokodil, die accounting bodies hier is maar 'n nagmerrie.

My husband has an honours degree in Accounting and an honours degree in Financial Management and CPA came back with a negative assessment, same reason: he apparently did not do theory of accounting. Regardless of the fact that he has done a CTA. Ridiculous. We then got the help of an immigration agent - Ray Welthagen, migrate2oz. He is also a Saffer who migrated to Oz and became an Ozzie CA. He sent our assessment to ICAA, we had problems with them again regarding recognition of working experience and the agent sorted it out. My husband also studied at RAU 1993-1995. But he has 2 honours degrees as well, so I don't know if that made a difference.... Maybe speak to Ray...

Edited by heidim

Unfortunately you are going to have to phone Australia and speak to the person who assessed your file. They must tell you exactly why they assessed your file the way they did. You are entitled to that.

I feel for you. My assessement was also negative and a reassessment has just set me back a further R6,000!

That's exactly why we then went to an agent. We did not want to apply for a re-assessment and then they say no again. So we went with Ray because he is a member of ICAA and fully recognized Ozzie CA, so they can't bs him. I know of people who had a 3 year degree and positive assessment. Ray looked at our stuff and said there was no way on earth we could get a negative assessment. However, he said ICAA is usually more lenient than CPA. Before you spend more money, have a once off consultation with Ray and see what he says...

When we called CPA and requested information about how it was processed, they flatly refused to speak to us. They said we have to put it in writing, pay them, send additional documents and they'll re-asses, but they refused to give us feedback. Oh, and by the way, can I just mention that they got my husband's IELTS scores wrong on his letter. How ridiculous is that? They gave him someone elses score. So we told them if they could make a mistake with that then surely they could make a mistake with the assessment. Did not go off well with them. They basically put the phone down in his ear.

• Like 1

ICAA came back to.

I basically did Accountancy 3A and 3B which is not needed for honors and the ICAA stated I had to do 3C and 3D. What I can remember is that 3C/D were definitely more theory.......

• 1 month later...

@ Heidim,

I am about to submit my UNISA BCOM degree for skills assessment and don't want to waste money would prefer a positive skills assessment first time. I also believe that ICAA is a bit more lenient than CPA.

Do you perhaps have contact details for Ray Welthagen, that you can send me on PM - maybe he could advise me before I submit?

Thanks