Moving Dogs

ShazPas

Has anyone used Pets En Transit? Www.petsentransit.co.za

I have 2 x Dachshunds and 1 x Pomeranian to move over to Australia, I have already got a quote from Keringa.

We moved our dogs a year ago with Keringa and they were excellent. Our dogs spent a few months at Kookaburra a few years ago but we had to pull them out due to visa issues so we have expereince with 2 of the 3.

There are only 3 companies in SA that can do the quarantine as far as I know:

Keringa

Kookaburra

Paws Resort

Keringa are excellent and if petsentransit are not able to offer quarantine then exactly what value are they adding to the process?

Keringa are also near the airport so that is a bonus if you don't live in Joburg.

It is a tough process but your dogs will forgive you... :glare:

Good luck

Good point Richard, they do not house the pets they do use another company, I do like Keringa the quote I received from them was

6 months R 67 000 and another 3000 AUD 1 month in Sydney.

Have a look at the NZ option. Works out cheaper and a shorter period..depends though on when you are going. They need to be microchipped and once microchipped they then have a rabies shot. This needs to be done 6 months before they can leave the country (they stay with you still though). after 6 months they have blood tests and if all fine are flown to NZ where they spend 10 days in quarantine. They then have to spend a further 81 days in NZ which can be done at a NZ kennel or if you are lucky enough to know people over there, then with them. After that they get flown to Oz..no quarantine that side. I think it was moveapet that does the whole move..Keringa doesn't need to be involved at all. I know Keringa also does it this way but they insist on the animal spending a month in quarantine there before they go.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, well the day has arrived, we are flying up to JHB tomorrow to hand over our 2 lovely family memebers to Keringa, the kids and us are so heart broken,7 months of never having them scratching at door, to go out side to roam the garden,no more walks to the beach,or play ball in the house, or even the every night sleep with my girls, this is hard, I really hope we will cope, I know they will, it's st so long........please be kind to my boy and girl,everyone says Keringa is good well,we will see first hand tomorrow. I will keep everyone informed on how the trip went .

Got a quote from move a pet yesterday they are very prompt with their reply quote was R 26 745 for all three, we just waiting for

The quote from pet haven.

• Like 2

I have also received a quote van Keringa for R49000 for 2 dogs and then AUD 2000 for the last month in quarantine.

Thanks Miraclebabycaw. so I got this response from Keringa today(take note of the NZ option)

To transfer the 3 Rhodesian ridgebacks directly to Sydney (nearest quarantine station to Brisbane) involves a 210 days quarantine period which they have to spend in a quarantine facility of which 3 months is mandatory in South Africa and 1 month in Australia, you can choose where they can spend the rest of the 3 months either in South Africa of Australia.

We can also transfer them to Australia via New Zealand.

There is no quarantine in South Africa for going to New Zealand; they just need to complete a 6 month procedure in SA. They don't have to spend any time in a facility in SA; it is just a service that our company provide for the last 30 days. We would then also arrange the flight from Johannesburg to New Zealand. Once they arrive in New Zealand they will have to complete 10 days of quarantine in a quarantine facility.

Your pet will also have to have tests done and a health certificate in New Zealand before entering Australia. The Residency period for pets in New Zealand going to Australia: Cats and dogs must have been continuously resident in New Zealand for 90 days immediately prior to export, or since direct importation from Australia or since birth. Cats and dogs must not have been in quarantine or under quarantine restrictions in the 60 days immediately prior to export.

Please find attached step by step guide for New Zealand.

Also be advised that if your pets are going to New Zealand that the owner has to apply for the import permit and do the booking at a Quarantine station of their choice in New Zealand.

Please see the below link to the relevant information package on the AQIS website. The information package outlines the AQIS import conditions that must be met and the steps involved for importing cats and dogs to Australia from New Zealand.

http://www.daff.gov....ame=New Zealand

For further information you can also view the cats and dogs homepage on the AQIS website: www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Step by Step guide - start New Zealand proceedure.xls

Edited by May

Hi there.

We will be moving to Perth at the end of September, and I have decided to put my girls (dogs) into quarantine at Keringa. I hope i am doing the right thing. I have been told awful things about moving dogs, and am not sure if they are true or not.

They are:

1. its cruel to put the dogs into 7 months quarantine, and they will never recover from it.

2. we will battle to rent accommodation in perth if we have dogs, and most home owners are not keen on pets.

3. its a waste of money, and its very expensive to be a dog owner in Aus (? - this one just baffles me!)

I am wondering if anyone out there has moved there dogs over, and would they recommend it, and do the dogs personalities change, and is finding a place to rent difficult with having pets.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Leisha,

I can't give you any advice on the quarantine questions. I can however tell you that I understand completely. My dogs are my children and going without them is not an option. We are considering going the Australia via New Zealand route. Also costly - and difficult as we will have to go live in New Zealand for 3 months, but luckily the aus PR allows this, and the quarantine is then just 10 days. Emotionally this will be a killer. First a move to NZ and then Aus! But the dogs are worth it.

I do not believe the rumours that your dogs change. Dogs are resilient. And they get treated well in quarantine. You can also visit them every day. Or perhaps get family to visit them if you yourself cant. I never leave my dogs in kennels, so the whole idea freaks me out, but plenty of people use kennels regularly when they go on holiday and their dogs are just fine! There might be a period of adjustment once they reach aus, but I am sure you will spoil them rotten, take them to the beach often and soon they will forget all about those 6 months!

About the rentals - many many people rent in Aus. And many many of them have dogs. I have checked out rentals that are pet friendly on realestate websites and there are plenty. This is not something to worry about!

Good luck!

Leisha the dogs will be fine - I dont have dogs but cats but the principle is the same. My cats are spoiled brat cats who had never spent a day in kennels in their lives but they adapted very well to kennels. They were in Keringa and the treatment was exceptional the animals are clients/guests not just animals. They know them by name they know their likes and dislikes and they get treatment the moment they are not well. The dogs I saw were happy and so well cared for I dont think they missed their families that much as their every need was met (think of summer camp for dogs). I dont see their personalities changing they will be the same maybe a bit more confident as they will have met so many people on their travels. It is about how you relate to them and the things you do with them. It will be easier for them in kennels that putting up with strangers through their house, moving their furniture out and all the other stresses of a big move.

Getting a rental with a pet can be difficult but then renting with kids can be difficult, renting as a single person can be difficult etc etc - you will get rental agencies that refuse pets on principle and others that are happy to consider it although they will probably ask you for a pet bond in case the pet damages anything in the house - so nothing too dramatic there. Just a case of asking till you find out and if there are heaps of dogs in the neighbourhood hard for them to justify why your pets wouldnt be welcome. The dogs in Perth have a marvellous life, dog's beach, dog parks, pavement cafe's that cater to clients and their dogs to name a few.

Pet care can be expensive but it is relative. Vets bills are high but then you dont run to the vet every week for your pets currently. Food can be purchased on special - often the pet shops have bags that are getting close to expiry date so if you are a bit strapped for cash that is a way to save (the food is still perfectly good). Also worth looking into the pet warehouse type places to see if you can save a few bucks that way or see if purchasing online is cheaper. Everything though is relative - you will be paying in dollars for your pets care so you just add that into the budget (tough you eat pasta once a week instead of meat or buy a cheaper brand of milk etc). Like anything else if you love your pets you make a plan for them.

• Like 1

Also costly - and difficult as we will have to go live in New Zealand for 3 months, but luckily the aus PR allows this, and the quarantine is then just 10 days. Emotionally this will be a killer. First a move to NZ and then Aus! But the dogs are worth it.

ok I have to ask, why do you have to go live with then in NZ for 3 months? They can go into perfectly good kennels in NZ as well for the 81 days needed? Sorry not being funny, just curious

I am also worried now, because I was looking at the NZ route but if we have to live there first to get the dogs over to Aus, I might have to re think doing the long quarantine.

Shaz, you definitely don't..that is why move-a-pet use pet haven for the additional 81 days needed for the pets to stay. Possibly just a personal decision, that is why I was curious..

Will seriously have to look into this NZ route for bringing in the dogs... might be a cheaper and less stressful alternative for us. :)

Hi guys,

Jip, definitely a personal decision!! You do NOT have to live with the doggies in NZ. I just want to. I guess I am a bit strange but I would rather go live with my doggies in NZ than send them to kennels! This is of course only if it proves doable. Otherwise it will have to be kennels. But I am up for an adventure. Also... I can use the 3 months in NZ to scope out Aus and try and get a job - flights arent that expensive ($161) so I can fly in for interviews. We vcan do the same when it comes to finding rentals and doing our drivers licences etc. The 3 months will also hopefully give our container time to arrive in Aus!

We were goint to go through Malaysia originally, there it is 1 month in quarantine and dogs have to live there for 6 months. So we were gonna do the 'teach english to adults' thing. Quite easy to find short term work in this field if you are qualified for it.

But NZ is shorter, and it gives us more advantages, also I was nervous with the strangeness of language and culture in Malaysia. So for us the NZ option suddenly looks easy compared to Malaysia!

This is definitely a personal adventure. We really want to see NZ and we have friends and contacts there. :)

• Like 1

So I take it if you have an Auz PR you will be allowed into NZ?

Hi Elmarie, I am not sure if I am being impolite by saying this but I certainly don't mean to be. However I feel like I should caution you that in the settling in period $161 really is not " not that expensive" at the moment that would be around R 1500. Again I do not mean to know your finances and I apologise if I am out of line.

Very desperate, I think so... Thats how i understood it according to the nz immigration website. But I am not sure yet. I need to do more research!!

Rad, I do not mind your comment at all, I appreciate it. With my previous post I meant that we could go to Melbourne once, IF I get an interview, for a week or so and then do as much as possible in that week. We havent been to melbourne and as that is where we are settling i would love to see it before we land. I don't mean to say I can fly back and forth! We have a nest egg but of course converting to dollars really hurts. And we don't want to use this money unnecessarily, as there is no telling how long it will take us to get jobs. Plus emigrating is really costly!

The nz idea is still just speculation, I need to do a budget to compare all the costs etc. Also I need to do a lot more research as I am not even sure if we would get any sort of a temp job in nz to get us through those 3 months. At the moment it is a big pie in the skie and I have no clue if it's doable. At the moment we just want the visa to go through and we are playing with our options!

I will upload my research regarding 6 months quarantine here plus flights, vs 10 days quarantine and 81 days in kennel with two flights, I am sure many people would like to see the comparison. Soon as I Have the info! I am checking out all the options :)

• Like 1

Elmarie, I so understand where you are coming from and good luck with the different options. Much harder to do when you have human kiddos (the hopping around). We are sitting battling with a huge decision over our little one. She is the last left of 4. We have had to have the other 3 put down one by one over the past 4 years due to a liver tumour, severe diabetes and severe arthritis that could not be treated anymore. Our last little one is 16 years old already, going blind and going deaf. She sleeps at my feet all day while I work. My MIL has said she will take her for the last little bit of her life but I am so worried she will pine away. They are so much a part of our family. Good luck with your move.

Elmarie, I so understand where you are coming from and good luck with the different options. Much harder to do when you have human kiddos (the hopping around). We are sitting battling with a huge decision over our little one. She is the last left of 4. We have had to have the other 3 put down one by one over the past 4 years due to a liver tumour, severe diabetes and severe arthritis that could not be treated anymore. Our last little one is 16 years old already, going blind and going deaf. She sleeps at my feet all day while I work. My MIL has said she will take her for the last little bit of her life but I am so worried she will pine away. They are so much a part of our family. Good luck with your move.

I am sorry to hear about your doggies. They do become such a big part of one's life! Mine is very young, 13 months, and 2 years. They are my first dogs since leaving home-so the first time I am truly someone's mommy (even if it's across species!) I know this process is going to be very hard, and I think having them with me for love and cuddles on the other side will make all the difference.

Perhaps you can adopt an Aussie dog when you have settled in? Not to replace the one you have, but just to make your house a home.

;)

• Like 1

The Oz authorities are currently working on revising the rules governing the importation of pets in to Oz. New rules are to be finalised towards the end of Nov it seems.

Rumour has it that they might go the NZ route.

Will post if I hear anything further on this.

• Like 1

So here is where I am with quotes received: 2 x Dachshunds ( 2 year and 7 year ) 1 x Pomeranian ( 7 year )

If we decide to go from SA to AUS - KERINGA-PETWINGS www.keringa.co.za

6 Months quarantine in SA, also includes :  blood tests, health,certificates,

certification of documents at the state vet office, application for the

import permit,South African quarantine boarding, the travel container & approximate flight

and all notifying/booking information to the quarantine station in Australia.

R 67 153.30 Plus the flight to Sydney R 14 583.28

Additional amount of R 3 020.93 to transport from Durban to JHB.

Then if your pet is 7 years or older, you may need a Geriatric flight aid prior to the flight if there Vet

Deems it necessary at a cost of approximately R 1 500 per pet.

Then 1 month in Sydney quarantine cost will be approximately AUD3050.

If we decide to go SA to NZ to AUS - MOVEAPET  www.moveapet.co.za

Dogs will be collected in Durban they will fly from DRB / JHB / SYD / NZ

it's a lot of flying and how scary It must be for them but the 2 Dachshunds will be together in a split box.

10 Days quarantine then they move over to the kennels PETHAVEN www.pethavenkennels.co.nz

for another 80 days, once done they will be flown straight to us in Canberra- ACT.

Price includes :

3x Travel Containers

Collection from residence on day of departure

Veterinary Health Certificates

State Vet Clearance & Sealing

Airfreight from Durban to Johannesburg with SAA

Airfreight from Johannesburg to Auckland via Sydney with Qantas

RSA Customs clearance

Fuel & Security chargers

Airline booking & transfer fees

Courier fees for original results of blood tests

R 26 745.00

Import permit NZ$166.62

Pet Haven Kennels  - AUD 6 377.93 to my new door step.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

• Like 3

Mmmm, seems the NZ route is cheaper and also shorter :o