Admission Queensland as Solicitor

MissHosking

Hello everyone !

Quick background: I am 22 , I am in final year BCOM LLB (5 year degree) in SA at NMMU (Port Elizabeth), I have no work experience, I am wanting to be admitted in Queensland as a solicitor. I only have the green mamba ( SA passport )

I am aware of the massive costs involved , my parents and my sister who lives in Brisbane as a permanent resident are helping me out with finances.

So its clear that step 1 is get your degree assessed at the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board -Queensland which will tell me I have to take some subjects to recognize my South African LLB qualification. Those subjects are always: Equity, Federal State and Constitutional law, Property and maybe Administrative law and Torts.

After I have done the conversion and my PLT I intend to apply for permanent residence through the skills list or state sponsored option.

However....

After months of research I am still stuck and desperately need the answers to the following questions, any one out there that can help ?

1) the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board -Queensland (LPAB) said that I cannot get my degree assessed even provisionally until I have finished my qualification. Is there anyone who knows already what 'extra subjects' I may be required to do besides the 4 above has anyone ever been required to do torts ?

2)Several Universities seem to offer the modules I need as non-award subjects and as part of a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice . I still don't understand what this means? Does it mean that the non award subjects will allow me to be recognized to be admitted as a solicitor?

3)If I do non award subjects can I use the non- award visa even though it is counting towards a eventual qualification?

4)Any tips on how to do this in the fastest way possible ?

5)Any realistic options for funding ?

Really any advice at all actually :)

Thanks !!

Hello Miss hosking. I am actually logged into my husbands account at the moment but will pm you his contact details.

My husband is a lawyer here in SA and he successfully requalified and was admitted in NSW in 2010. We have now received our permanent residence visas and will be moving in a year or so.

You are correct it is expensive but doable. My husband will be very happy to assist in any way. Good luck :-)

Thank you so much sol1

Really appreciate all the assistance !