At beginning stages of this journey.......

EmNew

Hi,

My husband and I have recently decided to pursue a 189 visa application. Migrate2oz will be assisting us on this journey. Apparently we will have the best success if the application is done under my name, as I hold better qualifications ( PostGrad accounting ), but I suspect he , as a senior IT developer, will be the more employable. Also very aware of the possibility of Accounting being taken off the skills list in the near future, so am biting nails at the moment.

Currently at a frustrating point - getting all together for the PASA that needs to be done by the ICAA. Sleepy Cape Town only has the IELTS once a month, so could only get a booking for 20 September. My Alma Mater, UNISA, which prides itself as being a premier distance learning facility, is proving to be the most frustrating institution to deal with. I have been waiting almost a month for my official transcript of the 3 qualifications I gained whilst studying through them. They are also not at all forthcoming in providing those year books that ICAA want for the B Compt and B Compt Hons degrees. ( I believe this is a common problem, after reading a few posts )

It was really encouraging to read how many people in their 40's have made this decision, were successful in their application, and landed with both feet firmly on the ground in Australia with no regrets. We are both in our early 40's, sadly no kids.

Hoping to learn a lot from you all, and hopefully will be able to assist others where and when needed.

Hi there. Same this side. We're also with Migrate2oz. We paid the initial fees and we're gonna see them next week with questions and hopefully all the answers. Immigrating to Oz is getting more difficult by the day. ( guess in some way that's a good thing ). My wife and I still got allot of questions, but in our harts and mind we know this is the right decision for us and our kids. ( we are both in our early 40's and the kids 5 and 7 respectively )

If it makes you feel more at ease I'm also with Migrate 2 OZ and all has been going well, just waiting for my hubby to redo IELTS in Sep and then on to the next step of EOI.

I'm also with migrate 2 oz also an accountant. They are very efficient and helpful. Our visa apps were submitted two weeks ago and we doing medicals and police clearance this week. Then the wait starts. Good luck with the process. I hope all us accountants will finds jobs over there.

veinkamerer, I would suggest you do as much preparation for the IELTS as you can manage. It is not just about your ability to communicate well in English. You need to understand the the format of the questions you will be asked so that you can get the answers quickly, be able to manage time etc. Spelling, grammar etc is very important, so practice is essential.

I can recommend http://www.ieltspractice.com - Road to IELTS, It is a great online resource with advice, practice sessions, feedback and tests. It is however subscription based. I do think that the fee is worth it - I would rather pay for a month's subscription and write the exam once, than fork out the exam fee again.

• Like 1

Hi there wishing you a smooth journey.

My experience of eilts - you get told to arrive early and then sit around for ages....I found my concentration was a problem. You write one test after the next....you could definitely see the concentration lapse with the marks.

Yeah. Try not to talk too much to other people before the test as it can be exhaustive and break your focus. Listen properly with the listening test. The answers really follow in sequence so you just have to slot in words. If you miss an answer try not to think about it too much otherwise you may miss the next one too. Reading test can be nerve wrecking as I found that I seem to run out of time. The answers also follow in sequence so basically you can skim through the reading piece then go to the questions and find the answers. Writing is easy. Speaking is also ok. They give you a random topic to speak about for 2-3 minutes but they do give you 1 minute to make notes on what you want to say. Take your time to make some notes and talk slow as 2 minutes can get long when you run out of words. Go in with a positive attitude.

• Like 2

Mmm, I sincerely hope that the people conducting the actual IELTS in Cape Town are more competent than the staff handling the bookings. I certainly don't want to be moderated / marked by someone who sends out an email with the following subject line : "IELTS test conformation"..........

If that is the case, I will fail dismally, as I would have written IELTS test confirmation..... ;)

• Like 1

I think they want you to conform as well as to confirm. Maybe you should forward that on to someone in authority...FAIL!

The whole IELTS thing gives me a cramp, it's grossly unfair revenue-raising imho.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 2

I can understand the requirement to assess proficiency in English - to a point! I would think that the speaking test should suffice though. If you are able to hold your own in conversations on random topics, that should be enough. The most frightening aspects of this test for me are time management and handwriting. I barely ever put pen to paper anymore. I can barely decipher my own writing, let alone a 3rd party!

I second both your opinion, and the fact that it's a cramp inducing process !

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

So I've received "conformation" that both my hubby and I will be attending the 20th September.

My email also really says conformation :lol:

So I've received "conformation" that both my hubby and I will be attending the 20th September.

My email also really says conformation :lol:

I dare you both to forward those emails to the big kahunas, lol. It's a shocker.

• Like 1

Just by the way, the people who book and who test are not the same at all :) ... The speaking tests were conducted by some very stern astute English speaking people, including some Brits.

Go find examples of how people would talk in the speaking test. Also find examples of how to layout your writing bit. And finally, do some examples of test questions ... but put yourself under the same conditions ... That is VERY important. Don't answer 2, go for a smoke, answer 3, go for a drink, etc. You must practice under as stressful and restrictive conditions as possible ... that is the key to being calm in an exam ;) ... if you can do an IELTS test paper in lesser time than is required (time yourself) and pass with good marks, then you will be fine in the exam :)

This is the same exam technique we were taught to practice for accounting exams ... it works!

Edited by eitai2001
  • Like 3

Hi there wishing you a smooth journey.

My experience of eilts - you get told to arrive early and then sit around for ages....I found my concentration was a problem. You write one test after the next....you could definitely see the concentration lapse with the marks.

so how did you do? My hubby is going for his 3rd time. Bought allot of books and only got October for the next exam. I will join him but luckily I only need min 4.5.

Practice the handwriting, but practicing your essays. Practice with as many listening, reading and writing tests as you can lay your grubby little paws on. By the time you sit the test, you should have the structure so clear it is automatic.

The IELTS markers go through fairly rigorous testing to be "qualified" to mark. The writing markers even more so. A portion of all papers are automatically remarked to keep tabs on the markers who will risk their jobs if they are careless.

Chin up. It's hell now, but when it is all over, you get to sit and smugly offer advice the next "generation".

Although will confess to sleepless nights, wanting to vomit in the middle from sheer nerves and counting down the days until the results. We have all been there - it sucks but is great when it's over.

• Like 3

Oh my rudirix.... I can't remember all the scores.

Writing was worst .....think I got 7.0 or 6.5. . . lol no surprises there considering wrote eilts not ielts. ;-)

Was extremely surprised that my oral was highest. Ran out of things to say and started contradicting myself...but just kept on babbling.

So funny we did our IELTS in the UK so were moderated by 'proper' English speakers and we both got great results without practising at all! We actually didn't realize that it was something we had to learn for...

Thank goodness.

• 3 weeks later...

I read on the forums a few weeks ago some people were having problems with their IELTS test. I've recently heard that someone who was supposed to write their IELTS test in Cape Town this month was informed that they cannot do so and that test has been postponed until further notice. I phoned the Language Lab in CT yesterday and all they could tell me is that the JHB office is currently under review from IELTS UK and they could not tell me how it will affect my booking for next week.

EmNew, do you know anything? You are booked for the same day if I am not mistaken? ..

NOOOOOO!!! This cannot be so. I will also phone them now.

This is terrible news if indeed true!

Re IELTS 20/9 in Cape Town, I spoke to a gentleman at Language Lab in JHB, and he said if it is going to be postponed, they will let everyone know tomorrow...... so a sleepless night ahead for me. I am racing against the clock here as Accounting is rumoured to be taken off the 189 skills list, so I need to get this done and dusted and my EOI submitted sooner rather than later :-(

Chantalgr, if you hear anything else on this, please post here. Thanks :-)

• Like 1

Just spoke to Migrate2Oz about it too - we will just have to pray that they can proceed with business as normal next week. Apparently it's a standard review , and unfortunately it may impact us.

• Like 1

Will let you know if I hear anything. I was however advised that I probably wouldn't hear anything until this coming Monday, when I should be receiving the information email regarding the test and speaking time.

Just in case we do still write on Saturday, we should receive an email confirmation on Monday.

God's timing is perfect so I guess praying about it is the best thing to do :-) We will just have to wait it out as it is out of our control.

• Like 2