Buying a car

Willem

Hi all

a While ago someone post a topic on what to look out for when buying a car.(Riekie)I will be arriving soon and one of the first things that I need to do is buying a car.

Any advice?

Baie dankie

Willem

HI Willem,

Try to stick to the bigger dealers - people like Suttons have a reputation to protect! Also, make sure that you get lots of rego time (that your licensing disc) as they expire annually and cost quite a bit. Some dealers may try to sell you a car with only a month left on rego.

Other than that, if you can, try to take a local along with you - and let them do the initial talking. The minute they sniff a foreigner, they may try to explit your lack of knowledge. This wasn't our experience - we got great service and a good deal - but I've heard of it happening.

Best of luck with it - car shopping here is great - much cheaper to what we're used to!

Ajay

Thanks Ajay

Hopefully I will meet some locals within the first few days that will help me.I have 2 weeks to get a car and a house.

Willem

You'll be fine on that timeline. I arrived 14 days before the rest of my gang and started working after a week. I also had to find a house, buy furnture, find schools etc really quicky, and I managed. Just stay calm and focussed and most importantly - remember that this is a fantastic move and the stress will pass :) Remember also to use this forum and all your virtual community friends for help, support, guidance and a giggle whenever you need to!

Cheers, Ajay

Yip,have to buy a laptop and set it up before I go,so I can connect onto the forum for help,thanks for everthing

Willem

Hier's daai inligting Willem:

Buying a car in Australia could be quite confusing if you don't understand the lingo & processes. This info is for NSW, but I'm sure it would be pretty much the same for all states.

When you buy a 2nd hand car, you can check the car's registration with the RTA to make sure the car legally belongs to the person who is selling it, that there is no outstanding debts or claims against the car and even if the car was ever involved in an accident or had repairs to bodywork etc. Also that the car is not scrapped, and when the "rego" expires. You can contact the RTA on 13 22 13. On this website you can obtain a certificate which you can print out as proof with the above details: www.revs.nsw.gov.au

After checking out the car, all documents etc, and you decide to purchase the car, get a receipt from the seller with the following details: Your name, date you buy the car, the amount you buy the car for, VIN & Chassis numbers, Seller's drivers license number, name & signature. Also, the seller must sign on the back of the registration papers, which he then gives to you.

You have to register your car within 14 days of purchase. For that you'll need the certificate of registration (which you got from the seller), your driver's license & proof of ID and the receipt you got from the seller. You will pay stamp duty of 3% on the market value up to $45 000 and 5% on the value over $45000

Every car on the road must have "rego" - a sticker which is placed on the car's front window and which has to be renewed every year. To get your "rego", you need two things: a pink slip and a green slip. The pink slip (compulsory roadworthy slip) you can get from most service stations and the cost is $28. The Green slip (compulsory 3rd party insurance), you can get from most car insurance companies such as the NRMA, AAMI, Allianz etc. (Shop around for the best price - it does not really matter who you get the green slip from). The cost is on average $330. When you have your pink slip & green slip, you go to the RTA to take out/renew your "rego". The cost is on average $300.

Rego needs to be taken out annually and for that you will need a pink slip & green slip every time. This will cost you on average $660 every time. Your car is now "legal" but not insured. Rego is compulsory but insurance is optional. To insure an average priced car will cost you on average $500 per year. You can pay this amount once-off every year or monthly. You can cancel your insurance any time & take it out with another insurer and get back pro-rata what you've paid for the year if you did not remain with the same insurer for the full year.

To sum up all the costs (avg) when buying your car:

Transfer costs on purchase = 3% of value up to $45000 (Once off - compulsory)

Rego = $660 (Renew annually - compulsory)

Insurance = $500 (Renew annually - optional)

And your on your way!

Just be careful for those 2nd hand car dealers & loan sharks that will offer you loans with interest free periods or even no interest at all. What they're not telling you is that the amount is loaded with administration charges, finance charges & other penalties - you end up paying much more than you initially thought you would, with your total loan amount being shockingly larger than the amount you applied for.

If it sounds to good to be true, it is!!!

Banks also give vehicle finance - have you tried your bank for a loan? I know everyone is basically on a 6 month criteria, but maybe if you approach your bank where you keep all your other accounts they might be lenient. I know of people who were in Aus for a week and got an Aussie credit card, so it can be done!!

My kar het ons nuut gekoop en die garage het die "rego" gedoen. My man se bakkie of "ute" soos hulle hier se, het hy by 'n "dealer" gekoop. Die bakkie kom van NSW en wat OK is, is dat hulle voertuie glo jaarliks vir padwaardigheid getoets moet word, so dit wat jy kry is nogal in 'n goeie padwaardige toestand. Die garage het die "rego" gedoen, maar net vir 6 maande. Jy het die opsie van 6/12 maande. Versekering het ons deur Budget Direct gedoen. Ons het die premies vir 'n jaar betaal. Dit was nie naastenby so duur soos in RSA nie. Versekering vir kinders wat voertuie bestuur is nogal baie duur. Ons dogter is glad nie op ons versekering nie. Ons dink om later vir haar 'n goedkoop ryding te kry en net 3de party versekering uit te neem. Seuns betaal nog duurder vir versekering, want hulle is glo 'n groter risiko.