Waiting period and pregnancy

Stix

Hi again,

I have a quick question for you:

My wife and I are waiting for our 136 visa and we plan to move to Brisbane in August this year, and we would like to start with a family as soon as we can. I know there's a waiting period of 12 months on most private health insurers.

My question is: must she wait 12 months before falling pregnant? Or could she fall pregant within the 12 months, use Medicare during that waiting period and then start using private medical (without switching doctors?)

Stix

Hi

I phoned Medibank private for you and they said that there is a 12 months waiting period but that is on the birth of the baby. You must just make sure that the due date is after the 12 months and then they would pay for the hospital stay and birth.

The dr's appointments and scans would be covered by Medicare.

Hope that helps.

Happy babymaking :lol::whome::whome:

Cheers

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thank you very much for your troubles! Just one more question: will she be able to keep the same doctor when she switches from Medicare to private?

It is my pleasure ;)

I'm sure you can keep the same dr. We only have medibank private and we go to the medicare doctors. I don't think you get 'private only' doctors. It shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Michelle