is this really the lucky country

Kilemim

Don't worry Jan, You'll be OK here in Oz! :ilikeit:

You almost bowled me with this post until I remembered your sense of humour :hug:

Nothing like a bit of sardonic humour to see an issue from a different angle :ilikeit:

Cheers,

Dax

NO!!!!! ...... You can't be serious!!

How do they expect us to support and pay for our kids education, on our own, without unearned charity from others ...

Means that I'll have to lift a finger to earn a living AND to provide for my kids

Slowly but surely the beautiful picture, that I had of Aus, is being eroded & faded, into one where it's not paradise, but merely one where I'll be able to work, & my family will be able to live, in a safe enviroment, without the fear of being discriminated against, attacked, murded or worse ......

Back to rethinking some decisions ...

Jan

You sound like an educated character, but you must start to read the papers.Our comrades are going to get our kids free education at Varsity!!!

So why should we leave?We are going to save thousands on education, and with that we can buy beach houses.

Or a few of us can team up and demand beach houses.Now that everyone is demanding houses and free education.

I think our fight will be as to where we want our beach house!My vote for OZ!

Cheers

Jan

You sound like an educated character, but you must start to read the papers.Our comrades are going to get our kids free education at Varsity!!!

So why should we leave?We are going to save thousands on education, and with that we can buy beach houses.

Or a few of us can team up and demand beach houses.Now that everyone is demanding houses and free education.

I think our fight will be as to where we want our beach house!My vote for OZ!

Cheers

Hey Jacques, this is great!@

I also want to demand!

Oukeeeei, let me see...

Right! I demaaaahhnd!:

Free education as well as teachers and teaching standards of only thehighest quality.

Now I already hear: Where is all the money for alll this largesse to be found?

EASY!

I also demaaaahhnd!:

That pigs be forced to eat copious amounts of Brooklax, and that these pigs also be forced to fly, for it is said that once pigs behave in this peculiar way, they start to sh&t R200.00 notes, gift vouchers for BMW's, Overseas Holidays as well as magical showers that is reputed to immunise you against HIV.

But Dax is not very fit, so he's not going to hold his breath.

Dax

Edited by Dax

Hi Kile,

just today my daughter, Gr 10 and myself where discussing the discipline/lack thereof, in our SA schools. I see you have been in Oz for quite a time and can assure you from personal experience and also listening to friends, including Teachers, that things here has also changed a lot. Kids just don't do homework, even in Gr 5, and then you have incidents like in my daughters class that as soon as the teacher gives demerits due to no homework (maths) she gets labeled a "Racist", where after all the black kids left the class! At boarding school when a matric student was late for supper, the "house father" moaned at her as she should know better and that she would now have to wait for the juniors to dish up first , she turned around shouting at him that how dare he speak to her in that manner and ignored him and still went to the front of the line! Or they just say that they pay to be here so nobody will tell them anything!! This I might add is a Model C school, but the school/hostel fees are quite steep. In Gr5 a boy(gewone boerseuntjie) shoots his classmates with a BB gun and if the teacher wants to take it from him...HE scolds her!! I read that the biggest problem with kids today is "over indulging parents" ... we feel so sorry for them and allow them to have 'rights' and then it bites you in the backside!

However, as we are not in Oz yet, I can not compare. But we pray that you will find the right permanent position soon, and that God will give teachers extra favour...they need it.

This is why I am not a teacher anymore. A grade 8 girl called me a bitch behind my back one day, and that was almost 11 years ago already. I do not want to know how it must be to be a teacher in SA anymore. For a few years now I have been doing secretarial work, property management and bookkeeping, this is much better and relaxing than teaching. At least I do not take work home with me every day.

Good luck to all the current teachers, may God bless you and give you strength.

SA2AUS---

the thing is i was not in JHB, I was in CT, were the service was upto scratch....not waiting 2 hours for a GP, Ive been to 3 different GP's and they are all the same. Schools promote academia but lack discipline, welfare, support, and general uniform standards.

Ive been here 4 years, and its ALL the same, its not the beginning.

Before you say that, 'im in the wrong neck of the woods', Walk a mile in my moccasins and you'll know that youve Landed in the wrong country.

I am just wondering, If you are so unhappy in OZ, why dont you return to SA?

Hi All

Rethought the issue & it's a good thing that strategies are my game.

I've been able to put the colour back into the picture!!!!!

My girls are in primary school now & will therefore be subsidised when we land with PR on a 175

The eldest will only be at varsity in 6 years time.

All I have to do, is get the citizenship after 2 yrs of PR & we're back to abusing the system & charitable hearts of our future hosts

Now I can go back to dreaming of the day when I will be able to live off milk & honey of the land, without lifting a finger, & someone else has to look after my family's well being

Can't say that I haven't learnt something from the guys who have taken control of our country

As to staying in SA - Although I'm quite keen on pap & sadsa, you need to have power to cook it & I don't know for how much longer that's going to be around!!!

Cheers

Jan

PS - Hey Jacque / Dax, Coolit man, you guys are making it sound so attractive to stay, that you're starting to cloud the water for me. In a moment I might just put on my blinkers & I'll be convinced that I'm already in paradise!! - it's not too much of a stretch from where we are now, to imagining that I'm looking up at those pigs .... while they're cr#pping down on me .... & the next step is the ZAR200.oo notes & thereafter the BMW ..... only problem is that, if I'm clever enough to stay in this country, I won't be clever enough to step out of the way when it comes down!!!

Edited by JanCpt

All I have to do, is get the citizenship after 2 yrs of PR & we're back to abusing the system & charitable hearts of our future hosts

Edited by NorCalAussie

Jan - I think the 4 years to wait for citizenship is way too long, maybe you'll have to stay in Azania and join the gravy train... :blink:

Now you guys are just being CRUEL & NASTY

Cruel and Nasty < nah just giving you enough research to ensure that your decision to stay in SA is a "good one" :blink:

take care and have a glass of backsburgs and enjoy cpt

I'm still wondering about those flying pigs that i mentioned.

I wonder, if one forces them to eat Brooklax mixed with clay, would they perhaps POO bricks onto corrupt politicians' heads? :blush::lol:

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Kile maybe spot on, but also too harsh at the same time,. :lol:

Guys, theres no use of being sympathetic in a negative way; He is probably right that you cant judge him on his basis; instead of attacking him why dont some of you at least hear him out;

Some people who responded seemed to only be here for less than a year or so; while others just shot him out flat.

Sure, iv been here 6 years...sydney is a bit too much.

Kile, Sydney can be a tough place; why dont you consider a tutoring business?

Best of Luck. :blush:

Keith

Yes, this really is the lucky country. Your personal circumstances aren't reflective of the country...you could go to any other country and have the same problems. Life in a developed country is expensive and very different to that in a developing country. There are rules, regulations and maybe a bit of red tape but you don't have to live behind walls...infact you can live and function in a society where you can take trains, go to the park, ride your bike, go to the beach and do just about anything and everything without fear.

SA is such a beautiful country but life is such a challenge there. I will never miss that fear that follows you everywhere..subconsciously. Maybe you should take some time out to evaluate your situation....think back and recall the reasons for coming to Australia. After 4 years maybe you have become complacent and begun to take things for granted...as for the comments about the health system just pop into JHB General for all your medical needs...maybe then you will realise that although Australia's health system is not perfect, it works.

you don't have to live behind walls...infact you can live and function in a society where you can take trains, go to the park, ride your bike, go to the beach and do just about anything and everything without fear.

SA is such a beautiful country but life is such a challenge there. I will never miss that fear that follows you everywhere..subconsciously.

This is so true. I also have a subconscious fear that follows me everywhere, especially after our attack in November :lol::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: . It will be so nice just to be free and do whatever you like without the fear of someone robbing or killing you, especially for the children. It will be nice if I can go to the beach during the day with the children and feel safe while my husband is at work :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Kilemim wrote:

I am a casual teacher and get assigned to schools maybe for every 1 or weeks not to teach my subjects ( all levels of maths and phys/chem), but rather to babysit a bunch of nitwits

Who would hire a teacher who thinks of children as nitwits in the first place?

and

There is or was no question of discipline. Kids would swear at me, jump on tables, bring out cell phones, walk out the class, throw papers at each other, and hence show no respect.

You should consider the possibility that its just you.

Today I had my first real experience at an Australian school. My son is in kindy and his class went to the main school for the first time to attend the junior schools morning assembly. I was blown away.

I dont know how it works in SA but if all schools in Oz are like this one then Mauritz is once again proved right when he said "Australia is a place for children, its the way it should be. Nothing else matters."

The entire assembly was run by the children. A group of about 12 children ( all in junior school) ran the whole thing. One of them made the opening address and the others all had their turn. During the assembly the pricipal was invited to give out various awards to children (awards like best behaved or most enthusiastic etc). And another teacher was invited to say something else. Every now and again some teachers had to shush the very young kids but the rest was smooth sailing.

I left with even more hope for my childs future.

It was an eye opener and I am telling it for those in SA who have doubts because of trolls like Kilemim.

Michael

I left with even more hope for my childs future.

It was an eye opener and I am telling it for those in SA who have doubts because of trolls like Kilemim.

Thanks for the reassurance, Mike! I'm sure you've allayed the fears of some forumites (myself included) who possibly grew despondent after having read some negative comments.

• Like 1

HI Kile,

Wow, what a moving realistic aspect to Australia. Granted I cannot comment at all because I have never been there, though we are making all the arrangements to move there.

I am sorry that you have not found work after such a long time. This must have played real havoc on your family and mental stamina. My husband was unemployed for the first year of our marriage/pregnancy, and I can just imagine that x4!

I'm sure your faith in God must be at an all time low at the moment, but take some time (on one of those days off), sit quietly and meditate. And hand this problem over to God!

He has taken you across the world for a purpose, even if it's just to live a mediocre existance and be at peace. Let Him finish what He helped you to start. And then just have faith, I am so confident that I promise you will not look back. ;)

Further to your comment re: freedom:

In the 1st world one is free. Within boundaries (controlled by all that red tape). But it takes a (mostly) balanced state-of-mind to not feel closed in by the establishment (of these boundaries).

In the 3rd world, one is free within very flexible boundaries. Boundaries which are out of your control, so you hope for the best.

I think you're just feeling really negative today, and a black cloud can cover a silver lining with little effort.

To be a teacher is not everyone's vocation, and it takes a very special person to want to touch the lives of adolescents, and make an impression in their life that is lasting. Even consistency and fairness leaves a mark. You wouldn't be teaching if you didn't want to do that.

It will be better tomorrow!

Much love and prayers for you.

Mel

Well put Mel

I lived in Sydney for 1 year it is ot a great place to live, Kalgoorlie was better, Perth is fantastic.

Been in Adelaide for three weeks now, and honestly do not have anything major to complain about. One or two small things might bug me - nothing serious though, overall I'm a much happier and relaxed person than I was back in South Africa. So, for those back in RSA worrying after kilemim's posts, I do not think it is as bad as he is making it sound.

I agree Renier! we have also been in Oz for 4 weeks...actually today is our one month anniversary! But it gets taking use to all the cultural differences. I think if you have travelled to UK, Europe or elsewhere, its easier. There is not that much that bothers me in Oz. We Saffers are raised in such a secluded and narrowminded way sometimes, and that makes accepting others and their way of doing things rather hard.

I think Kilemim just needs to have a change of heart towards others.

Elize

Hi Elize

Congrats on your 1 month anniversary! Before you know it, a year will have past. Enjoy!

Noddy

Thanks Noddy! Every day it gets easier, will be happy when it doesn't feel like I am flying all the time. Probably the adaptation to the weather and the humidity.

But we love it and we don't want to go back!!

Elize