G-day, let's get started!

TereMel

Hello all,

We've been lurking since the weekend :) and are very glad to now be registered and able to post to the forum.

Firstly, wow! What a wealth of information you have here, and this is backed by a genuine desire from others to help out / show the way / or generally just support a stranger in this, a serious life stressor. I'm sure that we will get a lot of answers from you and I hope that we can share the knowledge that we scrape together as we go along in return. But, I guess we'll be starting off "needing" more than we're able to give back yet!

"We" are Terence (37, Mechanical / Aeronautical Engineer) and Melanie (36, Clinical Psychologist), a Pretoria-based couple who are about one week into preparing our documents for our visa application.

Our motivations (an equal chance at a good life, fair circumstances in which hard work and effort get you somewhere, and the stability and security to build a future - and look forward to old age!) seem to be so in line with what the Australian life promises that we are serious about this and are going to give it our best shot. Fortunately, we have not had a recent vicious crime bring this on, but I feel for those of you have a terrible experience behind you.

Anyhow, here's looking forward to lots of good exchanges,

TereMel

Hi Terence & Mel

This is a gem of a website so welcome aboard the steam train

Nicki

Hi TereMel

Welcome to our web home! Hope you find lots of answers here to the many questions you are sure to have!

Hi there

Welcome to the forum I hope that you find all you are looking for and more. If there is something you don't find please ask or pm someone you will be surprised how many people are in the same boat as you and have been through it all before. The forum started wellover 2 years ago and with the amount of members we now have you can imagine that there are soo many people immigrating (and they are probably just a small % of it) and a whole lot who are now paying it back.

I am sure after lurking for a few days you are already planning your first steps, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hi to you both - if you are serious about leaving and getting to australia asap - then I suggest you try queensland Health for you Mel and terence I know that here in gladstone there are lots of openings for engineers. Mel, I am sure that the Mental Health arm here in Gladstone would be able to use you. A SA lady is heading up this department here in Gladstone and her name is Marilize Burger. If she could help you I am sure she would. Terence, not sure which way you want to jump but there is so much work here at the moment that you would find a job very quickly. If you need more info. please contact me again with a pm.

pat

Welcome to the forum!

I wish you the best of luck with your application and the eventual move!

The people on the forum are really amazing, so if you want to ask a question, someone will come back with an answer. :D

Welcome welcome. Hey did you know that the Australians have electricity? That is cool.

Hi Terence and Mel

A very warm welcome to our little family on the web. You are bound to find anything and everything you need in this wonderful place. Good luck with the "groot trek".

RoMar

Hi there and welcome to the forum! :D

All the best of luck with your application. :ilikeit:

Once again - wow! :ilikeit:

Thank you so much for the fabulous welcome and the support. We are serious about the move and will appreciate all of the great ideas and help that I see coming through already!

Cheers,

TereMel

Welcome, Teremel! :ilikeit:

I was so sure I had replied to your post yesterday, but the power did go down here at work. It's possible I had not submitted it when it went down (all those boss-induced Alt-Tabs, heh-heh). Anyway, I hope you and Terence have smooth sailing throughout the process.

Mark

Hi to everyone,

Hi, Tobold. Don't I just know what you mean! We had another power out this morning, too :ilikeit: . And now, once I'm already obsessed with this forum.

I'm sure I've also lost power during some postings / mailings and lost my message altogether, or sent the same thing to someone twice, or thrice. - Blanket apologies.

I have already received names, numbers, and email addresses of people in Aus from forum members to help both of us . The response has been amazing.... Please keep it up!!

Cheers,

TereMel

Welcome... :)

You are the third new people I welcoming here today... seems to me the lack of electricity is a big inspiration for everybody to leave this beautiful country :blush:

Here is my quick list of things to do first:

There is an excellent step-by-step procedure on this forum

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=9251

For me the first step is to book for IELTS (if needed), because it seems to me they are quite fully booked.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-ielts.htm

Also apply for unabridged documents, as it takes a while....

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=9009

And then also - get your skills assessed...

Shout if you need any help...

Hello all,

We've been lurking since the weekend :ilikeit: and are very glad to now be registered and able to post to the forum.

Firstly, wow! What a wealth of information you have here, and this is backed by a genuine desire from others to help out / show the way / or generally just support a stranger in this, a serious life stressor. I'm sure that we will get a lot of answers from you and I hope that we can share the knowledge that we scrape together as we go along in return. But, I guess we'll be starting off "needing" more than we're able to give back yet!

"We" are Terence (37, Mechanical / Aeronautical Engineer) and Melanie (36, Clinical Psychologist), a Pretoria-based couple who are about one week into preparing our documents for our visa application.

Our motivations (an equal chance at a good life, fair circumstances in which hard work and effort get you somewhere, and the stability and security to build a future - and look forward to old age!) seem to be so in line with what the Australian life promises that we are serious about this and are going to give it our best shot. Fortunately, we have not had a recent vicious crime bring this on, but I feel for those of you have a terrible experience behind you.

Anyhow, here's looking forward to lots of good exchanges,

TereMel

Hi and welcome to the forum! We are also newies here, also from Pta. Nathaniel (38)is the Pta rep for the family printing business and I (Jeanne, 37) own a jewellery business. Our girls are 7 and 9.

Did you see that there is a coffee club in Irene on the 23rd Feb ( check if this is right on the coffee club link)

Have not been to one but I am sure it will be a fantastic experience to share, advise etc

All the best!

Jeanne

Hi Maritze,

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.

I emailed through booking forms for IELTS last week and called to confirm the next day that they got there - confirmed - but we're told the earliet test date is 10 May! And we may not even get onto that one!

I expect that all our assessments / other docs will be waiting for this last thing.

I see that either you or your hubby is an engineer, then it is good to hear that you got back the assessment results so quickly. Which Eng registration is that? We are hoping that Mech / Aero Eng will be positively assessed and sought after in Australia.

I must apply to the Australian Psychological Society, and they require more documents and for everything to be posted through, so it may take me a little longer!

Keep well,

Melanie

Hey Terrence and Mel, welcome welcome... enjoy the forum, what a great bunch of like minded people..

welcome to Nathaniel and Jeanne.. We trust that you will all have as much fun with this wonderful family as we have..

a couple of suggestions: make a timeline, its handy in keeping you motivated as well as helping us get an idea of where you are at..

ask many questions, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer..

Good luck, have loads of fun... see you online.

Scott

Hi TereMel, We already PM'd, but another hearty welcome to you on this forum. You have come to the right place. Good luck with the process.

We are back home from our weekend away. I quickly checked the forum on my mother's computer, but can now help you with more info from my own computer.

JWEL.

I see that either you or your hubby is an engineer, then it is good to hear that you got back the assessment results so quickly. Which Eng registration is that? We are hoping that Mech / Aero Eng will be positively assessed and sought after in Australia.

My husband is the engineer. All the engineers get their degrees assessed at Engineering Australia. It goes real quick:

1. Get a certified copy of your degree (my husband got a reprint of his degree in English)

2. Then you go to Engineering Australia's website http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/ieaus...uicklinks-2.cfm

And under Application Forms, print the application form for "Assessment of Professional Engineer Qualifications (Washington Accord)".

3. Attach your photo and post it with registered post!

Two to three weeks later you will have your confirmation letter! Lekker easy!

Please can I have the number of the IELTS in Pretoria or the closest centre? Only in May the first appointment!!!!!

Please can I have the number of the IELTS in Pretoria or the closest centre? Only in May the first appointment!!!!!

http://www.britishcouncil.org/africa-south-africa.htm

Jeanne, all the south african dates are now may. maybe go to Botswana and write there.

Hi Jeanne,

We are Pta based and the closest IELTS venue is Jhb.

Call (011) 718-4300 and, if you get Busi, you will enjoy speedy, informed, and useful help! They are located at the British Council, Braampark, in Braamfontein, and I think that we will have to write the test there.

I have also found that 10 May is the earlist date they are able to offer.

You can scan and email / electronically email direct to Pamela.Banyatsang@britishcouncil.org.za to send in your application form, proof of payment (R 1564), and IDs.

Call the next day to confirm that it got there.

All of the best, and we may see you there!

Cheers,

TereMel