zorba

Hi from a new member!

We have FINALLY made the decision to leave Africa. Family of 4, 2 kids aged 14 and 11. We have been ignoring the warning signals for so long now, just keeping busy making a living. However, within one short month we experienced 3 seperate incidents that finally opened our eyes - my little business was robbed, I was verbally and physically attacked in a supermarket checkout line (no help from management, and they only phoned the police when I insisted - still waiting for the police to come, by the way), and then our son was mugged by 2 adult males just 100m from our house - they took his watch, phone and a silver chain which was a treasured gift. For me this was the final straw. Don't mess with my kids! Fortunately he was unhurt, and we are really grateful for this.

We visited Australia in August last year, mainly for a long overdue family holiday but also a LSD trip. Flew into Perth and spent a few days, then on to Brisbane to visit friends who have been there for almost 4 years (and are VERY happy). Hired a car and drove down to Sydney, spending a few nights along the way. After Sydney we flew to Melbourne, spent a few days and then back to Perth again to gather our wits for the long haul home. Altogether 3 weeks, which wasn't nearly enough.

It was intoxicating to feel so liberated, and we were like kids in a candy store - constantly amazed at how EVERYTHING works, feeling so relaxed without the constant security threat, and the issue of being "previously advantaged". It was wonderful to just BE and enjoy. Great service everywhere (except Perth domestic terminal!) and such friendly, genuine people. Yes, I know we saw it all through "holiday eyes", but we are level headed folks and can see past that.

So now we start...have booked for the IELTS (first available date here is end March) and have researched AIM assessment for my husband who will be the principal applicant. Have also contacted an agent in Aus who has advised us to apply for the skilled independant visa, even though we have 2 first-cousins living in Aus. Apparently the family sponsorship takes longer and has certain restrictions once you are there? Don't really mind HOW we get in as quite frankly I am happy to wash floors in Alice Springs if it means just getting in!!

So wish us luck... Any and all advice will be gratefully and graciously accepted! If anyone out there has done their own AIM assessment (or should we rather use an agent for this?) or can offer advice on the IELTS, we would be very grateful. Thanx!

All the best, hope your journey is short and successful! :ilikeit:

Welkome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to make the BIG move!!

May your experience be a stressless one and may all things happen as they should!!

You have had a taste of the freedom to just be, it is fantastic!!!

Good luck

N

Welcome Zorba!

I don't think the family sponsored visa takes any longer than the independant one and as far as I know there shouldn't be any restrictions at all.

I am still deciding whether to do that one or an ENS through my school...

Good luck with what lies ahead!

Welcome Tracey and Family, good luck, happy reading... remember the more you ask the forum, the more info you will get. Have a wonderful Journey

Scott