Sharksfan: Small fish in a big pond!

sharksfan

Hi there.

Brand new to the forum - apologies for all faux-pas I make as this is the first forum I have ever joined and exchanged in. Finding everyone very friendly and helpful - I am so glad I happened upon this site.

We are living in London but have a 20 month old son and another (little girl) due on 01/09 so are very keen to move to Oz - most likely Sydney. We are at the very beginning of our journey and finding that there is plenty of red tape for our situation...if only I were a hairdresser! Then I would be sorted :ilikeit:

Even considering retraining (not sure in what?!) so as to get in - we have to give our kids a similar lifestyle to the one we had. The kids in the UK are just scary - not to mention the awful weather (although the past few days have been scorching!)

Anyway - looking forward to the journey ahead of us, no matter how bumpy - I am sure it will be worth it in the long run.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

Guest Larry

Hi there,

Coming from Natal, you might want to give south-east Queensland a bit of a look. I live in the City of Caloundra, about 100kms north of Brisbane. The climate is similar to the north coast of KZN and the city is a bit like a bigger version of Umhlanga Rocks.

The only real advice that I can give you is to go wherever you can find work. Most (if not all) of Australia is a pleasant place in which to live.

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi there Sharksfan, B)

Welcome to our forum !! I am so glad you've found us and hope you will find loads of friendly advice right here ! :ilikeit:

We lived in Holland for 6 loooooong, dark and grey years - you have all my sympathy when it comes to the weather. <_< Also know what you mean w.r.t scary kids !! :whome::blink: We are off to Oz too, to try and rebuild some of what we had as kids, for our two boys (who are also 2 years apart in age). Have you managed to figure out what kind of visa you will be applying for...

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum !

Kind Regards from Korea

Seoul Sister

:)

Guest Noeks

Hi Sharksfan,

Really do hope you find a way to get here, as its brilliant here - compared to England! We arrived from England 3 months ago (after 3 very long years there), and I know exactly what you mean about the "scary" kids / youth - and the weather. Good luck with the whole process, and maybe, even think of re-training as a hairdresser! <_<

Just finished watching Australia play England (rugby) - luvly bubbly! (My brother is an ardent Sharks fan, too, by the way!)

Stay well, lv Noeks.

Yep, we will definately have to go where the work is as we are trying to get on the 457 visa but need to find a sponsor first. We are just starting this escapade so are just going to "give it horns" <_< and see what we come up with. Would love to go straight to Brisbane but Sydney is probably our best bet.

Good to hear that things are better over there than here in London. Renewed our conviction to get our A into G. I am seriously considering the Hairdressing thing - but only worry how long it will remain on the MODL!! Just my luck it might fall away once they are no longer in demand - would be typical of my luck!! :ilikeit:

Thanks for your replies!

Come on Sharks!

Guest Noeks

Ja, we also came on a 457. My husband went for his interview beginning November last year, and we arrived here in Perth beginning March this year. It all happened so quickly - 4 months and we were here!

Hi,

I'm not sure where I read it, maybe one of our "professors" :ilikeit: can help? To be able to claim points for a skilled occupation, you have to be able to prove that you have worked in that occupation for at least two years. A qualification alone is not enough. We were looking at going this way if hubby could not find a job, but luckily he did. Just make sure about it?

There is a great shortage of skilled people in all fields, and the Australian Immigration Department is urging businesses to "import" people form overseas. - So as dit pap reën, SKEP! - Try everything, and when you get tired or discouraged, just pop in here for a kind word, and some support.

Greetings,

Dreamy <_<

Hi Sharksfan

A big warm welcome to the forum. Looks like you have received some good advice so far.

Don't know about the re-training thing however if you are wanting to get here in as hurry, hairdressing apprenticeships over here, I think, takes 4 years then as Dreamy mentioned I'm sure you'd need some work experience. What does hubs do and on what basis did you get into the UK? You mentioned re-training, what do you do? Maybe you professions are on the following list?: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf - which would still give you ample points for the points test??

Brisbane and environs is great weather wise and somewhat cheaper in terms of cost of living than Sydney!

C U later

C'BUG

Hi Sharksfan - I saw your post (and responses) under the "general" section. You needn't answer my questions above!

C'bug