About to begin....

Traveller

Hi all, I am new to the forum :P and so far have been very impressed with the amount (and value) of information that can be found for all who try the great trek to Aus - I think it will be a big help on my journey of trying to cross the ocean to the other green & gold side (hopefully greener :ph34r:).

I am currently living in Cape Town (after leaving Natal and all it's problems 11 years ago) and have planned to leave SA for some time now, but recently came to the decision that Aus is the place I want to go. Haven't yet decided where in Aus, but I'm sure I'll get to that decision sooner or later and also depends on where I will eventually find work.

I have my reasons for having made this decision, which are no longer up for debate either with myself or my family or anyone else for that matter, and quite possibly the same as many others, and although it's a tough journey, I believe it's in my best interest to do it while I still can and am able to.

I have a final year of studies to complete at UCT as I will be attempting the 175 route (working & studying at the same time again this year :jester: ) but I have started the arduous task of getting docs etc together for a skills assessment and GSM visa application. As soon as I am qualified (Nov 2008) I will start submitting!

I'm sure I'm going to be popping in to many threads on the forum as I have tons of questions and I look forward to sharing my story with you as it progresses and hopefully providing any sympathy and support where I can for those who are in progress :magic:

:jester: welcome to the forum sis!

:ph34r: glad to have you on board, now when I mention forum topics etc you'll know who/what I'm on about! :magic:

Just don't tell my boss how much time I spend on here :magic::P

seeya

Aramat

Yip - I couldn't let my sister run off to Aus without myself and my mom!

Aramat has spoken so much about everyone here that I feel I already know so many of you :ilikeit: and couldn't miss out on the fun (and information)

Welcome to the family!

Believe me, whenever your emigration comes up in a conversation, it goes something like this: "Someone on the forum says.... or Springbok says, or Bob says etc. etc. "

or perhaps like this - " no I think you need to do your application in this way, because the forum says..." or "I'm not too sure about this now, let me ask the forum first..."

Anyway, cheers to a long relationship with the forum!! :D

Welcome and Enjoy!!!!!! :D

Welcome to the family Travlr!

What are you studying at UCT? Finished last year and I miss it so much (I'm a bit of a geek!lol)

Hubby's going back to UCT business school next year to get his MBA, will be applying then. The waiting is driving us nuts!

Hope you have a wonderful time on the Forum!

Believe me, whenever your emigration comes up in a conversation, it goes something like this: "Someone on the forum says.... or Springbok says, or Bob says etc. etc. "

or perhaps like this - " no I think you need to do your application in this way, because the forum says..." or "I'm not too sure about this now, let me ask the forum first..."

So true!!!! :huh:

Welcome aboard.

Families are far more likely to stay in Australia, and survive the first few years of settling in with all the hassles that come along.

Howdy Travlr!

I reckon I know you from somewhere else... :ilikeit:

Congrats on the decision to move to Aus - you made the right choice... :ilikeit:

Welcome to the family Travlr!

What are you studying at UCT? Finished last year and I miss it so much (I'm a bit of a geek!lol)

Hubby's going back to UCT business school next year to get his MBA, will be applying then. The waiting is driving us nuts!

Hope you have a wonderful time on the Forum!

So true!!!! ;)

Thanks Michele R!

I am studying my Bcom in Information Systems - I still have this year to go to complete it, but unfortunatley I don't share your thoughts on studying :ilikeit:

I can't wait to have it done so I can move forward - never been a big fan of the classroom you know, but I do know how important it is so I'll stick with it.

Howdy Travlr!

I reckon I know you from somewhere else... :whome:

Congrats on the decision to move to Aus - you made the right choice... :ilikeit:

OneTime - is that you????

Initially I had planned to go over to the UK from next year. It has been a long time dream of mine to work and travel from the UK, but much deliberation (and a good dose of reality) has seen me realise that Aus is actually the better long term plan and brings my family closer. And who says you can't travel from Aus hey?

OneTime - is that you????

Initially I had planned to go over to the UK from next year. It has been a long time dream of mine to work and travel from the UK, but much deliberation (and a good dose of reality) has seen me realise that Aus is actually the better long term plan and brings my family closer. And who says you can't travel from Aus hey?

It's me. :ilikeit:

Good thinking - I totally agree - the UK was better for us from a money and travel point of view, but Australia is a much better long term option.

And like you say, who says you can't travel from here? There's also plenty of places to see in Aus, then there's NZ, then there's the whole of Asia, Fiji, PNG, etc, that are all on your doorstep. :ilikeit:

Hi there,

Another UCT Alumni here! It's great that you are planning on immigrating following graduation. I think that the younger you are, the easier it is. All the best with your journey. ;)