C-section

Die Krugers

Hi All

Can you perhaps tell me if an elective C-section is allowed in Oz?

I had such a great experience with my first baby with an elective C-section :angry: , and want to do the same there once we decide to fall pregnant again.

We will be able to use Medicare, as we are going on a 175, but we'll have to see if we can afford private medical also, if needed.

Do you have to pay extra if you want an elective C-section, as it is more expensive?

Thanks a lot!

Tania

I am also interested for exactly the same reasons.

I just have another question to add - how often are c-sections performed. The reason why I ask is that I went to a gynae who ONLY does elective C-sections. My reason was that a doctor who does 30 c-sections per month is going to be more experienced than a doctor who usually pushes natural birth, and thus only does 5 c-sections per month. :whome:

On top of that, my gynae used the absolute latest technology. The operation was completely bloodless - the assistant quaterizes all the vessles they cut through immediately, so you only lose about a table spoon of blood. The scalpel is special as well - it is one molecule thick, so it parts the flesh, doesn't cut it. The whole operation takes well over an hour, because a very special method is used for sewing you back together - in effect, you end up with a mini-tummy tuck. The end result of the op from my point of view, was a 5cm cut, I was up and about a few hours later, was off painkillers after three days and my scar has now completely disappeared (my daughter is now two).

The op from my babies perspective... Nina was slowly eased out to simulate a natural-type birth (not yanked out post haste). She was given straight to me - all gooey and gorgeous! :blush: The doctors don't yank the after birth (which causes HUGE bleeding) out or give drugs to release it, they wait about 10 minutes because once your body figures out the baby is born, it produces a horemone which allows the natural release of the afterbirth. While I was being stitched up, they then checked the baby over in the theatre and wheeled a bath over to next to the operating table. Dad got to give baby Nina her first bath - right there and then! :ilikeit: Such a special moment! What a wonderful birth experience.

Basically what I am trying to say is that since elective c-sections are considered pretty normal here in SA, many doctors have really gone out of their way to specialize in it. I am worried that in Aus with the pro natural birth stance, I will not find a gynae who is as practised or specialized as my SA gynae.

Am I worrying for nothing?

Hi Ladies

Thinks this topic has been discussed in Ladies Lounge, but not too sure.

If you want a C-section best to go private. But if it is your second you will more than likely get it in the public system. They are a bit pro naturelle here in Aus. Very much so. Best is to speak to your OB/midwife once you guys are here.

Costs for having C-section private vary. You have to pay OBGYN a pregnancy mngment fee of between $1500-$4000. Of which you get at least some of it back from medicare.

Have a look at these threads

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=6967

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=6365

Cheers

Dedrei

On private you won't pay extra for an elective c-section. Me private medical only pays for 100% of first 3 nights of hospital stay though so if you stay longer you have too pay an excess of $30/40 per night I can not really remember.

If you are in Perth my obgyn Catherine Harris is quite willing to do elective c sections and she had one herself so let me know if you want her contact details.

All my girlfriends in Oz that have had a C-section with the first baby have had one with the second. The doc seems to encourage it. I would assume if you have had one already they would encourage you to do the same with your second.

Just to add

Have a look at the following sites

http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/

http://www.bubhub.com.au

Michelle, what was your fee with your OBGYN?

Thanks for all the links.

I cannot recall exactly what my gynae charged (because it was covered by medical aid), but he charges exactly the same as all the other gynaes here in SA. In many ways he was actually cheaper. Most gynaes here have a regular scanner and maybe once in your pregnancy, you go to a clinic for a 3D scan. My gynae has his own 3D scanner, so with every scan I got 3D pictures of my sprog. Oh, his pregnancy checkups were cheaper than many of my friends gynaes. At the time, he charged R250 per visit - scans and everything included. My friends were paying up to R450 per visit!

Edited by Gizmo

Gizmo,

Sounds like you had a fantastic birth experience! I had c sections with both my babies (both great and wonderful!) but after reading about yours, I'm jealous!

Oooh - I forgot to mention (sorry, but I had to boast) - my gynae has a special CD which he plays during the operation (although, you can play your own music if you wish). I went with his CD - it starts off with the Jesus Christ Superstar song "try to to feel worried..." and goes through the most amazing repetoire of jazz and classics throughout the operation, culminating in Pia Jesu (the most amazing moving opera birth song).

It was overwhelming and really made the birth process so special. :ph34r:

Hi Gizmo

Was just wondering if perhaps you could persuade your gynae to immigrate? :ph34r: D and I will be knocking on his door and judging by all the other ladies planning on having babies I am sure we can keep him busy.

s

Hi Gizmo

Was just wondering if perhaps you could persuade your gynae to immigrate? :ph34r: D and I will be knocking on his door and judging by all the other ladies planning on having babies I am sure we can keep him busy.

s

Funny you mentioned it, but I was thinking of swinging a deal with my gynae (he is a lovely man) that we pay for two plane tickets for him and his wife - they come visit us on holiday, and in return, he does my elective c-section while he is there! :P

Edited to say that I doubt whether he will ever leave SA - he has a waiting list of people who want to use him! He also has a large clientele from Europe - he is pretty well-known in international medical circles - has done quite a lot of seminars for other doctors on the new methods.

Edited by Gizmo

Sonnetjie, you can't have a natural birth after having a C section because there is a risk that the old scar could tear (and therefore your womb) during the stress of contractions. Also, the risk of the placenta attaching in a dangerous position in second pregnancies where a c section was performed the first time increases by about 40%, which can of course be deadly during vaginal birth.

Most obstetricians would not recommend having more than 2 babies by C-section because of the risks involved (or some would, because they are greedy :ilikeit: , so let's say those who know what they're doing).

Funny you mentioned it, but I was thinking of swinging a deal with my gynae (he is a lovely man) that we pay for two plane tickets for him and his wife - they come visit us on holiday, and in return, he does my elective c-section while he is there! :rolleyes:

Edited to say that I doubt whether he will ever leave SA - he has a waiting list of people who want to use him! He also has a large clientele from Europe - he is pretty well-known in international medical circles - has done quite a lot of seminars for other doctors on the new methods.

Hi Gizmo

Is your doctor in West Beach. I decided to stay iN SA for the birth of my daughter and I am having a c-section in March. I think iis too late to fly now otherwise I would have gone with him.

Thanks

Andrea

Hi Gizmo

Is your doctor in West Beach. I decided to stay iN SA for the birth of my daughter and I am having a c-section in March. I think iis too late to fly now otherwise I would have gone with him.

Thanks

Andrea

No, he is in Stellenbosch - you will have to go to Stellenbosch medi-clinic (a bit of a schlep), if you would like to use him. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his name and number.

• 5 months later...
On private you won't pay extra for an elective c-section. Me private medical only pays for 100% of first 3 nights of hospital stay though so if you stay longer you have too pay an excess of $30/40 per night I can not really remember.

If you are in Perth my obgyn Catherine Harris is quite willing to do elective c sections and she had one herself so let me know if you want her contact details.

HI Michelle

My name is Patricia. WE just moved to perth from Pta and we've been only here for two weeks. i am currently 26 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I had a c-section previously and therefore definitely opt for that!

I am struggling to get a gynea. Please could you forward me the details of your doctor. My gynea in SA was BRILLIANT and would definitely prefer a female, but I am getting desperate. Also which hospital is OK. WE do have private medical aid through my husbands work.

KR

Patricia

Patricia, best is to send Michelle a PM. She might not see this post as she isn't here that often as she is expecting her second one.

Sonnetjie, you can't have a natural birth after having a C section because there is a risk that the old scar could tear (and therefore your womb) during the stress of contractions. Also, the risk of the placenta attaching in a dangerous position in second pregnancies where a c section was performed the first time increases by about 40%, which can of course be deadly during vaginal birth.

Most obstetricians would not recommend having more than 2 babies by C-section because of the risks involved (or some would, because they are greedy :thumbdown: , so let's say those who know what they're doing).

Hi,

You can have a natural birth after a c section. They call it a VBAC (vaginal birth after ceaserian) and the Aussie doctors do encourage it here they are all for natural birth. A friend of mine delivered her second baby a month ago after a c-section with her first. I think that its because technology has really advanced in the last 10 years that VBACS are becoming more common. Also the chance of rupturing with the bikini incision is much less likely then when there was a vertical incision. I have read that there must beat least 18 months between irths though, for the scar to heal completely. Of course in the end it probally depends on the mom and her individual case to decide whether a VBAC is possible (depending on why she has a c-section in the first place).

Candice