The 100 step process to immigrating to Australia from South Africa

Jordy

Hey all. Can you advise me on the payment for the 189 visa. Can you pay from 2 separate credit cards or must it be one? Also if I have worked 2 years in the skilled occupation must I leave out the work section coz I'm not claiming points or must I just say worked less than 3 years?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jordy,

I hope you're still watching this post after 9 pages of comments!

The DAFF link showing what you cannot take doesn't work anymore. I've searched around and cannot find an alternative.

Would you be able to update it?

Many thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jordy,

One item you mention that raises some curiosity. You say that you should take the keys for items that are locked in the container. Wouldn't it be better to leave the keys in the container, so that the customs inspectors can open them? Or would I need to be present when the inspection takes place?

Many thanks!

TimeToGo I think this was in reference to the Security Box provided by the removalists which is stored in the container. Basically it was like an old army metal trommel that you could place items like DVD's, DVD player etc. You kept the keys and only provided them if customs requested them. It would silly to leave the keys with the locked items cause then you may as well leave them unlocked. No you do not have to be present but your clearing agent would represent you, AFAIK.

• 7 months later...

I love this post so much! It helped me so much during the process. :ilikeit:

I used this as a basis to create my own resource that I hope can help other people out there.

Moving to Australia in 101 Steps - http://www.beinaustralia.com/movingtoaustralia101steps/

Any feed back would be great. I would love to put in what other people thought was important.

I love this post so much! It helped me so much during the process. :ilikeit:

I used this as a basis to create my own resource that I hope can help other people out there.

Moving to Australia in 101 Steps - http://www.beinaustralia.com/movingtoaustralia101steps/

Any feed back would be great. I would love to put in what other people thought was important.

A little credit on your blog would be appropriate.

• Like 1

RosemaryC... I do agree with Jordy.. it took him many hours to put it together.. giving him the credit for doing so on your blog.. would be the right thing to do!

Hey Jordy, I did put link to saaustralia.org site - I would never just take credit for it. It is in the first paragraph of the post. And I added another link to this original post! :ilikeit: Check it out again and let me know if you are happy? You deserve credit!

Rosemary, yes I found it, eventually.

My suggestion would be not to have hidden it in a paragraph, way down, but to put it near the top of your page, then everyone will know where it came from!

I just feel what is fair is fair!

• Like 1

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for that.

Thanks Rosemary, now it is easy to see, and your action is appreciated. You may just like to check your spelling of the website name, hehe!

Just an update on this.

Most mobile networks can cancel your contract within the month (MTN, Vodacom).

Telkom require one month notice and it can be sped up be doing it telephonically where they can start the process for you (You still need required docs).

Going through this now myself and finding out all these things in prep for Australia.

This list is based on an original list I've made in 2004 and have posted on the forum way back when in the very early days of the forum's existance. Jordy then added to it to make it the list is is today. It's been "stolen" by many people/forums/sites/blogs during the years (such as Sabona Magazine...) without giving credit to the source so we are a bit "sensitive" about it being recognised for where it's originated from - especially as so many people are still using it as the go-to list for migrating to Australia. :cowboy:

The Question about the keys: The reason I've added it to the list is that people would lock cupboards, drawers etc of the furniture they put in the container and then can't remember where in that whole big container they've left the keys. If you take the keys with you on your person, you will be able to present it on request to customs and also, once your container is delivered, you'll have the keys handy to unlock whatever you need to unlock without having to wait for box number 326 right at the bottom to be unpacked to finally get to your keys... (Of course is also makes sense not to have the keys in plain sight inside the container). Not sure about the process today, but back in the day, the moving company would deal with Customs on your behalf and keys would be handed to them once your container arrives in Australia. They never requested any of our keys. All containers are put through a scanner and if nothing suspicious comes up on the scanner, the don't need to unlock anything to look inside them. Our keys were never requested. Hope this answers the question. :)

Hi. Thank you for all the information thus far! It has been very helpful. I was wondering if someone might btle able to assist here? When applying for police clearance certificates do i need to apply for our 4month old baby as well? Do i need to legalise the certificates as well. I read something about it in the fov's website. Thnx

Hi. Thank you for all the information thus far! It has been very helpful. I was wondering if someone might btle able to assist here? When applying for police clearance certificates do i need to apply for our 4month old baby as well? Do i need to legalise the certificates as well. I read something about it in the fov's website. Thnx

I am pretty sure Police Clearance is only required for those 16 years and over. Also I am fairly sure you do not need to certify / legalise the certificates as this is the one document they require the original. although please check this info.

Joining the long list of people you have helped by saying thank you for the list Jordy! We have decided to attempt the process without a agent and the list is a great start!

• 1 month later...

Hi

"Point 51. Decide what to take and what to sell. Sell items online or at your nearest car boot sale. Check out what you cannot bring into Australia."

This to me is extremely important, and should start the moment you decide that you want to leave, as this takes a lot of time. We started working through the house, room by room, and selected the items that we NEVER USE OR THAT IS JUST LAYING AROUND. I am only referring to items not used (which is obviously not going into the container), not even taking about items that might not go along. It is crazy when you realize how many crap you have that you do not use. I started selling items on OLX that i thought nobody will ever want... We are close to R 12 000 already.

Continuing on this trend, i am sure that i will be paying for our airplane tickets from the money made in the "junk" sale. :ilikeit:

Even if you use the money to replace old items in your house with new ones that you will take with, it is free money.

So my point is, spend some time in taking proper pictures of the things you do not want and sell it. Every R10 that you make from it (instead of just throwing away) is an extra AUS$ :grads:

• Like 3

Wow thats amazing!

This is one very helpful list for those moving abroad!

:ilikeit:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Made the decision and want to get started. I know we qualify for thr 189 PR hubby is a boiletmaker / plater. But sjoe.. where to start and so expensive...

• 7 months later...

Hi Jordy,

I know this post is old but I have to say its absolutely fantastic! I am new to this forum and found this to be a useful reference guide for me. One question though, you mention forms 80 etc etc. Where do I find these? Thanks

• Like 1