The 100 step process to immigrating to Australia from South Africa

Jordy

Hi Jordy/Dedrei

Hope you dont mind, but being a bit of a ToDo List freak - I like lists I can check things off. Thought I would grab your posting Jordy and Dedrei's list of URLs and throw into a spreadsheet.

Added a few columns to filter on, status, dates and place to add notes. Also easy for someone just to insert rows to add additional steps.

Hope someone may find this useful. Had to zip file as it was larger than 2mb

SA2Aus_Immigration_Checklist.zip

Rgds

Matman

Edited by matman
  • Like 1

This is truly awesome. Thank you. Deon did a similar one which is also extremly helpful but it got lost in old threads.

I think I will take your attachment and his and include it in post number 1 of this thread. Then people will see it and not miss it.

EDIT: I see once a thread has been stickied, the first post cannot be edited.

So here Deon's spreadsheet -

Edited by Jordy

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Jordy!

This is really nice of you! <_<

I thought I was not far enough down the line to benefit from a list, but it is very interesting and useful!

Thank you!

Mark

Wow I thought the effort put in by Jordy was great! Now the list has been improved, thanks Matman.

I think all new forumites MUST be referred to this post as most say they don't know where to begin.

Thanks again!

:ilikeit: En............ ons................. sê......................dankie.........................BAIE BAIE Dankie!!

WOW this is A-MA-ZING!!!

I downloaded what will become known as "THE list" the one that you have to have.

Thank you - once again for taking the time.

Hi there,

BRAND new member(s).. not wanting to be a "lurker".. so just saying hallo to all.

Final decision made this weekend to take the plunge and head to Oz!!

Thanks Jordy for the 100 Step - amazing list. HUGE help to get us started.

Incredible site - to start asking the zillion questions soon.

:blink:

Thanks Jordy. I have printed out our very helpful list and am now trying to work our way through it. It will be very useful. I know we will refer to it regularly.

Regards,

Linda

:ilikeit:

Thanks for the list and everyone's contributions!

Will most def print this and keep it for when we move.

Thanx matman

:ilikeit: This is the way i like things. :ilikeit:

Will be using this starting today

Just the kind of thing I would have done! Thanks so much for saving me very precious time! GREAT JOB to all who contributed to the lists!!!

A

something else we should probably add to the list and I am sure would be useful to folks when they are trying to decided where they want to live in Australia, but also to answer those quesiotns - Which schools are in my area, are there churches clsoe by, where is the public transport etc.

Not sure if any of you have had a look at Google Maps

You can look at Australia from a 30000ft view and then by double clicking on the map in a particular state you can start to drilldown. Starts to give you a great idea where everyting is in realtion to each other starting at the state level and then when you drill into a state you can see cities/towns in relationto each other.

On the top there is a great search feature to find a business and also to GET DIRECTIONS You put in your start address and end address and it gives you a step by step rout to your destination including if you want a return route. Also gives you estimated times to travel the route. :lol::D:whome:

Some other cool features - On the left click on the tab called MY MAPS

Select Distance Measuring Tool - Click on the map and then click along your route to your destination to get approx distance between 2points. You can also do as the crow flies distance by just clicking on points A & B

Browse Popular Maps - This has some really cool things - not sure how these get created, but it looks like points of interest created by people and then loaded into google maps. For example I am in the state of Victoria, so this tool is location context sensitive because it has come up with places to browse in Melbourne andnot places in Sydney.

Clcik on Melburne 4 Kids - this places like pins on the map on the right highlighting places of interest to take your kids. Clicking on a pin pops a message box describing the place of interest.

There are mas to browse for Melbourne train network, Mel and surrounding attractions, Mel sandbelt golf courses SUPER :blink: , Where to find a video store, IGA Supermarkets and tons more THIS IS COOL

Next cool feature is to click on Places of Interest This gives you a quick filter option. Highlight things of interest like Fire Stations, Hospitals, Churches, major retail (for that therapy) etc

Ignore the weather channel thing - only applicable to US

Hope someone finds this useful - I did and still do. we had to find a hospital and looking up in yellow pages no good as it does not explain how to get there or how far. Using google maps I got a step by step directions and looking at map I could how far and approx how long to get there and which direction i was heading]

Rgds

matman

Not sure if any of you have had a look at Google Maps

Lol, hubby's already got the whole of Brissies on google earth!

Amazing what you can do these days!

I am laughing at the

40. Start throwing away things that you have horded for years. Keep only what is going in the container. This takes longer than you think so start early.

Gee wizz we have hoarded! In one weekend we gave away to overfull black bags of clothes. WE ahven;t even started on the kids' clothes or all the stuff we stored in the roof :blush:

I am a hoarder, so hubby is really having fun watching me try to decide what goes and what stays.

Thanks for the list. It is a great help.

Thanks... very handy tips... we are still at the beginning of it all, so this is REALLY going to help a lot!!!

Thanks, this will help loads !

Hi

Attached is a document with the tariffs and processing time for the Department of home affairs as well as links to the required documentation.

Hope this helps!

SADHA.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the previous blank reply. Learnring the ropes of the forum. Fantastic list. Will work through it.

Thanks Jordy and Matman and everybody else!!

I wish I had more time. We have decided in December to do the big move. End of January hubby's got the job, and we are planning to leave round a bout mid may!! The house is sold and we are packing the container end of April. This really helps a lot!!!!!!! I am so worried I might forget something (despite my own never-ending list of to-do's). :ilikeit: Thanks guys! Hopefully I will be able to help you a bit in the future!

Maritza

Excellent!!!

Thanks - will put this next to all the other info one tries to get your head around.