The 100 step process to immigrating to Australia from South Africa

Jordy

Excellent topic Jordy :ilikeit:

This post and its initiative was long overdue, actually I think it merits to become a "sticky" or "pinned" thread.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

thanks excellent list - there is so much valuable info on this site. Now if someone who is clued up on these things could explain how to do it, we could attach links to all those points so people could click on the link and get the benefit of all the posts relevant to the particular topic e.g. agent vs go it alone or home affairs contacts. I have been realising how when you are at step 1 step 100 seems so far away and then you miss out on so much good advice that comes in in the meantime because you are not yet at the stage to make use of it.

Jordy, this is an excellent job.

Well done and thank you. I'd like to see this pinned.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Jordy,

In point 46 you mention that one should keep all receipts (including medicals) to claim from tax. Can you please explain this in more detail, how exactly does this work and what is the procedure to follow?

Hi Jordy,

In point 46 you mention that one should keep all receipts (including medicals) to claim from tax. Can you please explain this in more detail, how exactly does this work and what is the procedure to follow?

Haven't a clue! :ilikeit: What I do know is how to cut and paste and add numbers 1- 100 :D Try ask in the money thread - I think Springbok is the resident forum money expert. Maybe he can answer.

Also haven't got that far in the process. :P

Hi Jordy,

Very comprehensive list :P

I think this is only valid for sponsored visa's from what I have seen so you would not qualify.

I hope I am wrong but itf your employer agrees you cna claim it as a cost against getting here.

I have heard there are some 457 visa holders that have been able to claim all of the flight costs and shipping costs as well with employers help and blessing.

The tax website ato.gov.au has a section on claiming a rebate for being away from home. If you are on a temporary visa, and signed an employment contract before migrating you can be considered to be away from home. You dont get all the money back but it reduces your tax liability.

I also stored all the scanned information on a USB drive and emailed CV or resumes to a hotmail address I set up in South Africa ( remeber to log in more than once a month, or you will be locked out).

This means if you find a job you wan to apply for after arriving, you cna go to an internet cafe and send your prepared CV. ( They do them a little different here). We migrated with no jobs and then decided where to live.

International drivers licence. You dont need it to hire or drive a car, but it is a picture ID with expiry date. I carried it and RSA passport and ID document to have 100 ID points. Austrlia LOVE drivers licence because there is no ID document due to privacy invasion fears :D

Now all we need is a Magical wand that can accomplish these 100 steps in 1. like so: 1. Wave wand

Edited by JacoE
  • Like 1

Thanks - We are still early stages and this list will def come in handy...

You are a super star!

Very comprehensive list :ilikeit:

I think this is only valid for sponsored visa's from what I have seen so you would not qualify.

I hope I am wrong but itf your employer agrees you cna claim it as a cost against getting here.

I have heard there are some 457 visa holders that have been able to claim all of the flight costs and shipping costs as well with employers help and blessing.

The tax website ato.gov.au has a section on claiming a rebate for being away from home. If you are on a temporary visa, and signed an employment contract before migrating you can be considered to be away from home. You dont get all the money back but it reduces your tax liability.

I also stored all the scanned information on a USB drive and emailed CV or resumes to a hotmail address I set up in South Africa ( remeber to log in more than once a month, or you will be locked out).

This means if you find a job you wan to apply for after arriving, you cna go to an internet cafe and send your prepared CV. ( They do them a little different here). We migrated with no jobs and then decided where to live.

International drivers licence. You dont need it to hire or drive a car, but it is a picture ID with expiry date. I carried it and RSA passport and ID document to have 100 ID points. Austrlia LOVE drivers licence because there is no ID document due to privacy invasion fears :unsure:

The tax rebate is only applicable for the "away from home" LAFHA Allowance if your contract states it's temporary, even if you have a 457 (temporary visa).

Hi Jordy,

We have been advised to bring certain items with us, i.e. day to day groceries.

Could you name a few items which we are allowed to bring: (Toothpaste, Deoderant, etc.)

Tks

Penni