Project Management Course

Guest May

Hi All,

While I wait for my Visa 175 I would like to gear myself towards the Aussie job market and would like to study PM.

Can anyone recommend a good PM course that I can do locally that is recognised in Australia or one that I can do through an Australian Institution?

I have seen one through E-Learning on LeaderGroup.com.au- is it any good?

regards

May

Hi All,

While I wait for my Visa 175 I would like to gear myself towards the Aussie job market and would like to study PM.

Can anyone recommend a good PM course that I can do locally that is recognised in Australia or one that I can do through an Australian Institution?

I have seen one through E-Learning on LeaderGroup.com.au- is it any good?

regards

May

PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner Certificate in Project Management or PMBOK are the two Project Management methodologies/Certifications in Financial services that are regularly requested of candidates. I would say that Prince2 seems to be more favoured than PMBOK. Just google Prince2 or PMBOK for courses

Hi May

See the following website, www.xpert-mbp.co.za. They are a very good training institution. As far as I know they do have offices in JHB and CPT. They do the Prince 2 and PMBOK methodologies.

Groentjie :(

Prince2 and PMBOK are recognised as being the leaders in PM methodologies in the IT industry, so if you are able to, try going for a certification in either of these.

Cheers

ajay

Hi May,

I'm in agreement with everyone that PRINCE 2 & PMBOK are the most popular methodologies in Australia (especially Government)! I received my PMP certification (PMBOK) about 5 years ago and am in the process of completing PRINCE 2 Foundation & Practioner as this will hopefully ensure I have a better chance of securing sponsorship!!! (I hope!!!)

You can try PMIdeas (www.pmideas.org.za) for PMBOK / PM Courses or Snaptech (www.snaptech.co.za) for PRINCE 2... be warned though that the certifications and preparation courses are rather pricey (PRINCE 2 = R18,000) but so far I have found it to be a good investment!!! The regular PM courses are pretty affordable and a good starting point!

I have been in IT PM for 10 years in SA and been "investigating" the PM job market in Aus for A WHILE!!! (about 6 years!!!)... Feel free to PM me... I would be happy to share my info gained so far...

Good Luck!

Cheers

Tracey

Hi Tracey

I want to ask something on this. I was also looking at PMI courses, but do you need to do the actual course or buying a good book is enough.

Thanks

Andrea

Hi May,

I'm in agreement with everyone that PRINCE 2 & PMBOK are the most popular methodologies in Australia (especially Government)! I received my PMP certification (PMBOK) about 5 years ago and am in the process of completing PRINCE 2 Foundation & Practioner as this will hopefully ensure I have a better chance of securing sponsorship!!! (I hope!!!)

You can try PMIdeas (www.pmideas.org.za) for PMBOK / PM Courses or Snaptech (www.snaptech.co.za) for PRINCE 2... be warned though that the certifications and preparation courses are rather pricey (PRINCE 2 = R18,000) but so far I have found it to be a good investment!!! The regular PM courses are pretty affordable and a good starting point!

I have been in IT PM for 10 years in SA and been "investigating" the PM job market in Aus for A WHILE!!! (about 6 years!!!)... Feel free to PM me... I would be happy to share my info gained so far...

Good Luck!

Cheers

Tracey

I would definitely say that the accreditation opens doors. Prince2 or PMBOK are very much sought after accreditations in the financial service industry in Oz.

Hi May,

PMBOK & PRINCE 2 are definitely not specific to IT... It can be applied to any sector / industry, which also gives you flexibility with switching industries if need be down the line. The only snag with PMBOK is you need to have X number of years / hrs PM experience to be able to write the exam... I don't think it's a pre-requisite with PRINCE 2.

Send me a PM and we can maybe meet for coffee and a chat!

Hi Andrea - Yep, if you have the self-discipline to do the studying etc yourself then it is "do-able"... I personally found the "hand holding" with my PMBOK prep course great (PMIdeas)! It gave me the extra push and they also prepare you really well for the online exam (4 hrs)... can be a bit of a nightmare and daunting i think going in on your own. I chatted to the training co-ordinator at Snaptech re the PRINCE 2 and doing it via CBT (Computer Based Training), which is also cheaper and she confirmed the failure rate was rather high... I realise she was trying to sell me the R18K package of classroom training, but I can see where she's coming from... people tend to understimate some of these certifications especially when you're working full-time... it definitely helps also having PM experience behind you!

Cheers

Tracey