Teaching/Teachers in Oz

sharksfan

Hi there,

I have just registered on this forum with the hope of getting some thoughts on the teaching prospects and teaching environment in Oz. I have checked out the government's website in terms of having qualifications assessed etc, but wondered if any members can shed some light on:

1. how easy it was to get qualifications accepted as ok;

2. the availability of jobs for teachers in Oz;

3. and whether the transition to the Australian schools environment was easy enough.

Basically any tips from teachers registered on the forum?! ;)

Not sure where to post this topic - perhaps "Schools & Education"? But hopefully someone will be able to give me some pointers under this heading. Any pointers? :oops:

Thanks for any response.

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey Sharksfan,

Welcome to the forum. The easiest way to know whether your qualifications will be accepted in Oz, is to write/email the appropriate teaching authority in the State you are looking at. They will be able to give you an idea of whether what you have now is good enough or whether you will have to study something in addition. I do not have a teacher's diploma, but have an Honours (TESOL) and am currently reading for my M in Linguistics Acquisition and Learning theory and the authorities of both Victoria and NSW were very keen to have me, at High School level to teach English and computers. Teachers are sought after, especially for Early Childhood. I don't see a problem to get a job as a teacher, depending on your subjects. I have spoken to two friends-of-friends (not ppl I know very well, so this should probably not weigh too much with you) who are teaching in Australia. Both of them weren't enjoying it. From what I could understand they had both taught at Afrikaans Schools before and found the discipline seriously lacking in Ozzie schools.

If you want information on teaching authorities for a specific State, lemme know if I can help.

Good luck, hope this has helped a little !

Regards

SS

:oops:

sharksfan, I consolidated your posts somewhat. For future reference ... one posting is quite enough ;) we read EVERYTHING. The important thing is to look through the forums and decide where your posting will best fit. After that, just sit back and wait - the folks here in Oz are extremely helpful!

:oops: Hendie

Thanks Hendie - :ilikeit: oops! Sorry to have triple posted - still getting to grips with how these things work. Tee hee! ;)

Seoul Sister - thanks a mil for the info. This really is helpful and I will email the NSW board to find out what my status as suggested. Interesting to hear about the ppl who are not enjoying the environment. I have to admit that this is the main reason for my post as I have heard similar responses from "a friend of a friend of a friend"..... I guess this is one of those questions where you wont know unless you try it yourself. :whome:

Edited by sharksfan

Guest colton

Hi Sharksfan,

I am a junior primary teacher myself and I was considering going back to teaching once we land in Oz. I have been to Australia twice before and both times went to a couple of schools to see what the environment was like. Must say I was NOT impressed. The kids are VERY different to South African school children, the lack of discipline is very noticeable!! :ilikeit: Having said that though, the private schools are much better, but isn't that exactly the same as back in S.A?

S.A teachers are in high demand, world wide I hear, so your skills will be very welcome. The point is if you are still teaching in S.A, public school, things shouldn't be too difficult to adjust to once you are teaching in Australia.

I also believe it is your attitude that either makes you or breaks you, so if you want to succeed in your new teaching post you will accept that it will be different and quickly learn to roll with the punches. (All the time trying to control throwing a punch or two towards some mealie-mouthed youths :whome: Only joking!)

We are going through on hubby's skilled migration visa, so have no idea what is needed to assess your teaching qualifications. Sorry ;)

Good Luck

Guest Jules

Hi sharksfan :ilikeit:

I am not a teacher so I can't really answer your teaching related questions, however I am interested to know if you are teaching at the moment in London? If so, is it in a private or public school and at what level?

Having been to both UK primary and high schools myself and now, as a parent with children who were at school in South Africa and now here in Australia, I would say that the discipline is definetely better in the South African schools and is somewhat lacking over here. However I personally think it is better in terms of behaviour and respect for teachers than it is in the UK.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you find out all the info you need.

Julie :whome:

Hi Julie and Colton! :ilikeit:

Thanks for your replies. I am not teaching in London for the very reason you have stated but had hoped that the situation in Oz must be somewhat better than in the schools here. My hubby works in an investment bank in the legal division but is not a solictor/barrister. Basically we cannot get a visa readily on his occupation as it is only on the ENSOL list. (Think I might post a seperate question for this one). So thought maybe should look at my entering as a teacher. Will give it some thought and more investigation....

Have a great day/evening!

Sharksfan, you need to have recent experience in your nominated occupation to be able to use it for a visa application...

On the schools front: I am not a teacher, but I do have two friends who are teachers here. They are both from the UK and enjoy teaching here a lot more than they did there....

My daughter has attended school in SA, UK and Aus and we (and she) much prefer the Aus way of doing things (especially here in Adelaide, where she is following the International Baccalaureate programme). She attended public schools in all countries. I also worked at a school in the UK, where I would say the problem is not so much a lack of discipline in the schools, as a lack of social skills and the feral nature of some of the kids there... teachers struggle a lot there nowadays and that includes the ones who have been teaching for 30 years or more.

It's worth bearing in mind that teaching methods and attitudes differ everywhere - even within South Africa itself as someone has mentioned. I went to a dual-medium school with "discipline issues" (best school in the world, by the way!), my husband attended a strict Afrikaans school - I have no doubt that I was vastly better off. Harsh "Discipline" (often externally enforced) might benefit the teachers - but does absolutely nothing for the child's development into a well-rounded, well-adjusted and happy human being with a thirst for knowledge, who enjoys learning and is well-prepared for life as an adult.

If you are a good teacher, you might enjoy the fact that here teaching is more of a two-way conversation with plenty of friendly interaction and banter between the teachers and students - I'm sure there can be nothing worse to a good and dedicated teacher than a room full of dumb-struck little robots who have no idea how to speak up for themselves and are too scared to express their ideas for fear of retaliation ...

Sorry Sharksfan, I've just realised I've not really answered much of your question at all, but been mostly venting my feelings ... :wub:

• 4 months later...

Hi Sharksfan! Its a long time since you posted your question and sorry, I have only just found it! I am a teacher who has gone through the process of having my skills assessed.We are looking to going to Victoria on an STNI visa. Its a lengthy process and you do need to get the ball rolling, so to speak. The assessing authority is NOOSR. Let me know if I can help?

Without going too far into it, I got an email from Sth Africa asking me to find a job for a lady who taught in High School in Sth Africa.

I spoke to the teachers at Church that I knew, found that the Sth Australian State schools were hard to get into, as all new teachers whether they are eager, fresh graduates with the ink still wet on their teaching diplomas from teacher's college or migrating from o'seas with a number of years experience under their belt, must do their "apprenticeship" by being posted to a school in a country town somewhere in the State for anything up to three or four years.

Some may love this lifestyle whilst others can't stick it out.

Personally, I have a friend that I did Matric with years ago in Adelaide. He graduated, got sent to country school but pulled the pin and came back to Adelaide, resigning from his teacher's position there.

He never got another full-time permanent position in Adelaide from that point on, only ever casual or relief jobs.

Private schools however are different and will recruit to whichever school is in need, sometimes in Adelaide.

The lady managed to apply for a position at a private school and won the job.

Ginnie and I visited her during the previous school holidays, asking about her life and whether she'd like to go back to Sth Africa. She looked at me as if I was two bob short of a quid, stating that after a couple of years working at the school, a trip to the country towns of Queensland and then to south west Western Australia were on the cards.

I was also astounded to hear that the majority of teachers in this small private school were from Sth Africa!

Her husband had secured a job working for a State gov't department with gov't car, etc. and it looked like their lives were starting to come together after a lot of hard work.

Their permanent residency had come thro' in July after landing in Adelaide in January on a temporary work visa.

There are teaching jobs out there for Sth African teachers in the right field, and if you aren't successful in getting a State gov't teaching role, then try the major private schools . . . . . Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic and "Independent Christian" (Reformed).

Edited by Bob

Hi Sharksfan

I'm a qualified High School teacher (waiting for my PR visa approval) and got my qualifications recognised quite easily by AEI-NOOSR. The hardest part is the English Test.... no getting off that one, I'm afraid, and the required pass mark is one of the highest. Made no difference that I had got my teaching diploma with a distinction in English.

Regarding the teaching lifestyle, etc. All I can say is that I've watched the high school children on the trains around Sydney - I've never seen happier children. Remember, too, that there is very little class / work / job distinction in Oz and teachers are highly regarded and well paid (defence force members too)... a headmaster is paid the equivalent of a business executive. So... my simple diagnosis... Treat your teachers with respect and pay them well = teachers happy = children happy = quality education.

Hope that helps

Norm

• 1 month later...

All Teachers Note:

The new assessment body for Teachers is now www.teachingaustralia.edu.au

This is in the case where you apply for a permanent visa and want to assess your Teaching Qualifications for that type of visa.

You could go another route, by having your qualifications assessed at a Teacher Registration Board of a relevant State. You can do this while in South Africa and only takes a few weeks. See TRB in South Australia. When you receive the result it will say you are "Eligible to Register" and that your qualification/s are equal to an Australian Teaching Degree. This immediately enables you to start looking for teaching jobs in Australia focussing on Independent Schools. Apply and look for a school willing to sonsor you on a 457 visa. Look at www.teachers.on.net for teaching jobs and contact schools directly.

Once you have a firm job offer in writing you are ready to proceed with the 457 application. Target the Regional Areas of Australia because they have a huge demand for Teachers in Maths / Science / Technology and Physical Education. The school must apply to DIMA to be a business sponsor and also nominate you for the position. When that is done your file from your end after doing medicals and police clearance. The 457 visa process is fast and online.

On arrival you will have to Register at the same Teaching Registration Board after doing your Mandatory Reporting (Child Abuse) and First Aid Course (one day each). After doing this you are able to teach at the sponsoring school and in the state where you are registered. You need to register or you will not be able to start working as a Teacher.

The good news is that Queensland and South Australia Teacher Registration Boards, both accept South African Teaching Qualifications without having to sit IELTS. This helps a lot because IELTS can be difficult to pass.

Best of luck!